Freedom arms vs BFR on accuracy 454 casull

My big bores are Ruger 45LC 4" guns so no accuracy data. For comparison purpose I do have a scoped Ruger SRH in 44 Mag with a scope. Best groups I got were 3-4" at 100 yards. If you shoot groups based on individual cylinder chambers they get better as 1-2 of them group outside the other 4. But I do own a FA 353, 357 Mag. Not very common. 200 gr lead gas checked hard cast bullets over 1600 fps. And mild recoil. Has shot < 1" group at 100 yards. For sure the limiting factor is me. Shooting a revolver even on a rest for pure accuracy is harder than most guns. Grip is so far from bore & scope, no nice flat surfaces front and back to support on a rest, etc. No direct experience with BFR but would expect similar to mass produced Ruger accuracy more than line bored FA. The question is how different is relevant to you. Hope that helps. JB

Berryb1611, ruger must have sent you the gun I sent back and they kept 2 years ago, lol. Every cylinder hole was a different diameter, I couldn't hit an F 150 at 100 yards. They called and told me to pick another pistol off their website and I did. That was a bad experience, and why I just bought a SW model 629. I like Ruger, just not their revolvers

I will one day get the freedom arms, so I can pass on to my son eventually. I shoot a lot, and put 700-800 rounds through that Ruger I sent back trying everything I could try to make it work. I think it is like buying a Rolex watch

I will one day get the freedom arms, so I can pass on to my son eventually. I shoot a lot, and put 700-800 rounds through that Ruger I sent back trying everything I could try to make it work. I think it is like buying a Rolex watch
Just received a call from ruger. They said that their specs. for this revolver are .454 to .4563. They pinned my cylinder and the .454 fit and .4542 pin would not so it is within spec. The bore is .453 and the barrel groove is .452

Since the end result is to have a gun that will hunt out accurately to 200yds I wonder if you might be going in the wrong direction... The Rossi R92 lever rifle in stainless with a 20" barrel will give an edge to the S&W's or FA's 14" bbl for accuracy and the 9-rnds capicity. I have a 92 in 454 casull and consider it a 100yd gun and maybe stretch it to 200yds. Just wondering???

How bad was accuracy when you shot it? What distance and loads? I dont care what they say this or that diameter or spec is, if you cant shoot it well it needs to move on.

I have owned a Freedom Arms 6" Field Grade in 454 since 1991. Any accuracy issues that I have with it are operator induced, 100%. When I had it scoped, I was able to hit clay targets at 200 yards regularly. When I missed, it was always my fault, not the gun's.
I have never handled or shot the BFR, but I cannot imagine any revolver that could impress me as much as the FA. It FEELS like a quality firearm.

Go with the Freedom Arms, you will get over the sticker shock quickly and have no regrets anywhere down the road.

I have no experience with the FA other than things I've read. None have been negative other than the chamber of some are too short for some heavies. Not sure but I believe it was specific to one particular model. I'm sure the googler can find the details. Something to do with the shape of the projectile not allowing it to chamber I believe. I have a 454 BFR and love it. The Bisley frame is awesome. White micarta grips and I have no issue holding on to it with full house loads. I am not good with it so I can't speak to the accuracy potential but they do have a custom shop that allows you to get a customized revolver for a few hundred extra bucks. Supposedly those are the most accurate ones you can get do to higher tolerances than the production guns. Not trying to steer you away from FA but wanted to let you know about the custom option in case you did not already know about it. Good luck!!

I have no experience with the FA other than things I've read. None have been negative other than the chamber of some are too short for some heavies. Not sure but I believe it was specific to one particular model. I'm sure the googler can find the details. Something to do with the shape of the projectile not allowing it to chamber I believe. I have a 454 BFR and love it. The Bisley frame is awesome. White micarta grips and I have no issue holding on to it with full house loads. I am not good with it so I can't speak to the accuracy potential but they do have a custom shop that allows you to get a customized revolver for a few hundred extra bucks. Supposedly those are the most accurate ones you can get do to higher tolerances than the production guns. Not trying to steer you away from FA but wanted to let you know about the custom option in case you did not already know about it. Good luck!!
Thank you, I will call BFR.

I own several FA revolvers including the .454. It will shoot 2" consistantly at 100 yards scoped. I also own a Ruger SBH Bisley hunter 44 mag. It is a 6" gun at 100 yards. Sorry, never owned a BFR revolver. FA are quality and accurate. My 454 FA also has a 45 long colt cylinder that is superbly accurate out to 100 yards. Good shooting!

Since the end result is to have a gun that will hunt out accurately to 200yds I wonder if you might be going in the wrong direction... The Rossi R92 lever rifle in stainless with a 20" barrel will give an edge to the S&W's or FA's 14" bbl for accuracy and the 9-rnds capicity. I have a 92 in 454 casull and consider it a 100yd gun and maybe stretch it to 200yds. Just wondering???
I have a ton of rifles. I am not looking for a rifle. I want to play with a revolver.

For pure accuracy potential, I'd say the FA. That said, the BFR is nothing to turn your nose up at. I had a FA Premier grade in 454 for a little while that I got in a trade and at the same time, I had a 45/70 BFR. Both were exceptionally accurate, but I was shooting with iron sights so my ability to shoot for groups past 100 yards was limited by my vision. I ended up selling both the FA and the BFR after I developed compression fractures in my wrist from shooting. I still miss them!

If a FA is in the budget, get one and know that you have one of the best revolvers made by anyone out there. If the BFR is more budget-friendly for you, get one and know that you got an excellent gun which is still VERY accurate and strong. I also think the cylinder on the BFR is slightly longer if that matters to you. The shorter cylinder on the FA can limit some of your bullet choices.

I picked up a lightly used FA M83 in 454 about 2 years ago. I only paid $1100 so I think I got a good deal. It was made in the 90's and it looked very lightly used so I was pleased when I got it. I found out why it looked new when I made my first range trip - it hurt to shoot. Now I'm not recoil sensitive and I have a 4" S&W 500 and it had more recoil than the 500.

I sent it off to Magnaport and had it ported, along with an action job and it was well worth it. It made a world of difference and it's a great revolver. I have a chest rig that allows me to snap a leather piece under the hammer and I carry it with 5.

I can't say I've ever fired for groups but I have dropped a feral hog at 95 yards with it. I've never fired to 200 but I'm sure it would do it. I'd stick with FA and I'd buy used. If you watch Gunbroker and take your time you can find a good deal.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.