454 scope advice

Whitetails45

Looking for advice on which scopes / red dot hold up to the 454 recoil. Looking for a good warranty. Just trying to buy the right one the first time.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you

I run a Burris 2x on mine and have no complaints. I have some Leupold 2x scopes as well. A used Leupold isn't worth a premium over a new Burris in my opinion. I haven't had any warranty work done by Burris, but in my experience Leupold is painfully slow working on old/discontinued scopes.

For red dots, my go to on hunting revolvers is an Ultradot. A little bit of rain or snow in the wrong spot makes a mini red dot like an RMR unusable. Ultradots are less suceptible to that.

I have UltrDots on my .475 Linebaugh & .500 S&W that have held up for many years. My .454 FA & .454 SRH have 2-6 Bushnell Elites that have had no problems for 15-20 years. I have a 2-8X Leupold on my .45-70 SSK T/C "for the fun of it" that's had no problems. The trouble with this scope is that it's just too long for most revolvers. Also used a 2X Leuplod of & on my .416 Taylor Encore, .500 Mag, .454 RSR. It stands up to recoil, but is not powerful enough for a .454 to get the most out of it.
My #1 choice is the 2-6 Bush. Elite (not Trophy). Not made any more , but found on several sites for sale off & on.
If you really want a red dot the UltraDot will do good out to 100 yds. turned to a low setting to make the dot small. I've done 3" groups at 100 with the .500 & .475 this way. Took a buck last year at 75+ yds. with the .475 & UD.

Fixed power Leupolds are fine scopes, but the .454 is a versatile round and can be effective out to 150 yards. Fixed powers give you no options for the 25 yd. shot or the 125+ yard shot. That's why my .454 (& .500) have 2-6 power scopes.

You'll be happy. I've killed over 30 turkeys with my .454 & Bushnell Elite. Two years ago did a 21 1/2# gobbler at 129 yards. Could not have done it with a 2X or probably 4X. Had it on 6X & he dropped with a double wing butt hit. Get he get torn up? No! I tested bullets extensively when I switched to the .454 for my turkey gun. Found that the old Speer 240 gr. Mag HP put a thumb size hole thru the wing butts without destroying any meat. I searched online & found a bunch. Will other bullets work? I haven't tried any others for a while. Maybe a XTP (since they act like FMJs most of the time) or a Deep Curl. Don't use anything soft or with a lot of lead exposed. Heavier the better for lower velocity.
DSC01300 (1).JPG