What bore cleaner do you use ?!

Gunslick foaming bore cleaner works very well to remove all copper. Just let it soak for a couple of hours. Give it another shot of foam ever once in a while to assure it doesn't dry out (leave the dispensing tube pressed into the chamber after spraying it in the barrel so cleaner does not seep into the action). After an hour or so of soaking just run a few patches soaked with kriol through the barrel until clean. Run a dry patch and you are finished. If by chance the is still some copper after cleaning out the gunslick simply repeat. A brush is seldom needed.

Gun FOAM cleaners are the bomb! Specifically, Gun slick foam cleaner dissolves copper streaks and
all carbon is removed relatively quickly, no joke. Pick up a can and see for yourself! Foam, sit, wipe! That's it. Oh then oil with your favorite oil!

I have been using KG12 copper solvent, and wondered if there is something else anyone else uses they find better in any way? I was using Butchs Bore Shine, but thought the KG line might do a better job without the smell.
I know theres tons of videos out there on various bore cleaners, and methods of cleaning but I was looking for advice from you shooters here.
Thanks !!!

Well for those that don't know Gun slick foam is the bomb!! Ready to use(shake first) and very effective! Foam your bore run patchs, then run your favorite oil patch, done!! EZ PEZY.

M pro 7 for carbon/powder fowling, then bore tech Cu++, then Hornady one shot.

Krieger stainless barrel in 7mm, I use Accelerator, then Wipe Out. Let it soak for 3-4 hours with the barrel at a down angle at muzzle. The copper drips out of the muzzle cobalt blue, so I know copper is being stripped.
Then I use a 30 cal nylon brush, on a good quality bearing handle cleaning rod, and chamber guide and scrub it about 20 strokes. That's when the carbon is showing up.
Dry patch a few times, followed up by Hoppes #9 for 2-3 patches. Dry patch 2-3 times and follow up with Rem oil after patches look carbon free. With the wipe out, I never see blue copper on the patches at this stage. It's gone.
Anyway, The JB bore polish is sometimes necessary on my factory carbon steel barrels, but rarely, as a need to remove fouling/traces of copper in the fillet radius of cut rifling. The factory chrome-moly steel barrels don't clean as easily (or break in as nice) as 416 stainless steel. Maybe hand lapped chrome moly are better, but I don't have one.

https://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q489/ackleyman/22250 return 004.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q489/ackleyman/22250 return 003.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

https://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=Lyman+bore+scope&ksubmit=y

Foamers work well on copper, not so good on carbon, if at all. Foamers and liquid form of foamers work very well used in combination with good Bronze bristle brushes. Repeated soaking with foamers or liquid form of foam, time and time again did little to remove carbon from calibers like 6 Dashers(R#15, 32g), 6.5x47 (37g), 6.5 Creed (42g), with top quality SS barrels with only 40 rounds on the barrel, not shot real hot. Then the 7 mag working up loads with 25 shots in between cleanings(66g of powder).

Cartridges like the 22/250 AI, 22-243 AI carbon foul so hard that it is necessary to scrub around 25 shots to keep the bore clean, and powder choices do have an impact on frequency. A 22-243 AI fired a hundred times without a thorough cleaning is a serious sack of hell to deal with.

From these posts, it is obvious some of the nice people contributing that do not have a bore scope. I can not say enough good about that $200 lyman bore scope. The Lyman is a digital image, while the Hawkeye is a true optical image. The lyman is more than adequate for a shooter to determine if the carbon has been removed.

Copper is easily removed, but often it is in layers of carbon, then copper, then carbon, etc.

It does not take many shots to cook the carbon so hard that it will not show black on tight fitting patches using punch type jags.

I have been duped into buying more "Snake Oil" types of cleaners than most because I want and hope that I will find a product that will in deed do what it claims.

Ed's Red is a darn good concoction to put together, and a product called Witches Brew is sold by a world class machinist/gunsmith. Good brushes carry the heavy load on cleaning. I would challenge you to measure a new brush with a caliper, plastic or Bronze bristle, put 50 strokes down the barrel, measure the brush again...get ready for a shock!

For guys that have to clean on the kitchen table using non stinky types of cleaners, Bore Tec has been some of the best I have used in conjunction with Bronze Bristle brushes. JB, Issio, and easy to use Montana Extreme non stinking Copper cream dig out the hard carbon. Calibers like 7 Rem Mag & 300 Win mag will humble a guy in his thinking when he has a bore scope. The most experienced of us that have been using a bore scope for 25+ years are often humbled by our Mind Set with some calibers in carbon fouling removal.

Again, go in with a shooting buddy, cousin, or brother. Split the cost, and get a Lyman bore scope. Ignorance is Bliss up to a point.

Last edited:
Wipeout foam. It saved a barrel I had given up on. Super easy and gets the copper well.

I don't use any brushes. I clean after each shooting session with Bore Tech products. Never get enough buildup that needs a brush. I have brushed used guns to get baked on carbon out. Would never use an abrasive polish on a quality lapped barrel that I paid many hundreds for. Everyone has their own idea what is best for them and the type of shooting they do.