What barrel for 338 lm?

I would guess velocity gains will slow over 45". I dont see any reason to go that long though. We have pretty good luck with 32" on our single shots and use nothing but pac nor. Look in precision shooting magazine and see the top spots and what kind of barrel people are using. Pac Nor is on the list pretty regular.
Pac Nor, Lilja, Kreiger, Broughton, etc are going to shoot better than most people anyways so its hard to go wrong in my opinion. And most of the time its just personal opinion of whos is better, ie chevy, ford, dodge

thanks for the response, the numbers that you gave me were some of the most helpful to date. I will not be going with a 45" barrel of course but now realize what i want. Btw, ford

You can always get the die specs from the manufacturer before ordering the reamer and change the chamber reamer to match how much sizing you want or order a sizing reamer with a chamber reamer and make your own dies. PTG sells sizing reamers and a die blank for 100.00 or they did anyway. Then you wouldn't have die issues with the AI chamber. The standard is a SAMMI spec case so the dies generally work fine where as the AI isn't SAMMI spec'd.

Orrrrr, you can have Kirby Allen build you one of his 338AX which is his version of a 338 Lapua Improved and you can have him form all your brass without using up any barrel life. Kirby also provides the dies when you go with one of his wildcats. It's pretty much one stop shopping. gun)

Thomas1234, check lilja barrels sight. Dan did some research work into the barrel length question. He started with a Ubber long tube and started whacking it down measuring rifle performance as he went. Pretty interesting read>gun)

Thomas1234, check lilja barrels sight. Dan did some research work into the barrel length question. He started with a Ubber long tube and started whacking it down measuring rifle performance as he went. Pretty interesting read>gun)

What caliber(s)?

Look at DE POSTING in LRHS @ top, THREAD LRMK. It is a bullpup design, which has been around for a while and some guys on here have them. The rifle is a 338 edge +p, 300gr.@ 3023 ,32'' kreiger, that is 44'' long. My braked 26'' w/ standard pull is 48''

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.