What’s your spookiest hunting experience?

Through practice, I learned to make the night my friend. Not moving you aren't detectable except by smell (making bears a problem...). I never met anyone in the woods who scared me, mostly I was off-trail so didn't meet others. I did meet an old man while trail hiking, he was just out for his health, having been so counseled by his doctor. Another time, I was on the Cascade Crest trail, coming up high from the East onto the actual crest, in my usual Mtn. garb: wool whipcord pants, a wool shirt, my 100 mile cowboy hat, Reichle boots and S&W 4" Model 29 on my hip. I come across a guy wearing tights, light hiking shoes, a down vest and goggles, using ski poles as hiking stick. He's come up fom the West (Seattle) side... I made him pretty nervous, I could tell, a bit of culture shock. My revolver spooked him, but then he was ten miles in with no weapon, in bear country, country inhabited by characters out of Deliverance, like me!.
He have a pretty mouth?

Have you ever been actually attacked by a copperhead? Squirrel hunting on the farm with a .22 LR Scope and all. Had 3-4 squirrels up above me in the tree tops. Shot one and watched where he fell, then sit back and waited, oping to get a shot at another, but that never developed. So I stand up, walked over and fetched the squirrel I had shot. The ground cover was very light honey suckle and dried brown leaves. I had the squirrel by the tail as I started back with it. Heard a loud rustling in the leaves and turned to see a very angry and offensive copperhead ready to strike. Then it lunged forward at me, in my opinion a second time, and kept advancing, aggressively. I never even tried to see it in my scope at only a few feet away and just shot from the hip, emptying my rifle as I was trying to get away. By the time I got a couple of hundred yards away it dawned on me that the initial rustling in the leaves was his first strike. I could only assume that he hit that squirrel instead of me.
The squirrel you got would be in the trash. I came face to face with one laying in a bush when I was in San Antonio. I was cutting grass around the bush, looked up and it stared at me. I jumped straight back at Mach 5. Quit for the day, and drank copious amounts of barley pop that night.

Have you ever been actually attacked by a copperhead? Squirrel hunting on the farm with a .22 LR Scope and all. Had 3-4 squirrels up above me in the tree tops. Shot one and watched where he fell, then sit back and waited, oping to get a shot at another, but that never developed. So I stand up, walked over and fetched the squirrel I had shot. The ground cover was very light honey suckle and dried brown leaves. I had the squirrel by the tail as I started back with it. Heard a loud rustling in the leaves and turned to see a very angry and offensive copperhead ready to strike. Then it lunged forward at me, in my opinion a second time, and kept advancing, aggressively. I never even tried to see it in my scope at only a few feet away and just shot from the hip, emptying my rifle as I was trying to get away. By the time I got a couple of hundred yards away it dawned on me that the initial rustling in the leaves was his first strike. I could only assume that he hit that squirrel instead of me.
Copperheads don't bother me too much, wait until you get a ****ed off cottonmouth chasing you, I absolutely hate those stinky monsters!!! Always seem to be angry and aggressive

It was in the late 80s I was hunting deer on Pelham Range in the Anniston Alabama area. It a large track of Army training land, Tanks, small arms, mortars, etc. But its eat up with deer. It's shotgun only and black powder guns, at the time it was shotgun and archery. I was in the block of land I had a permit for slipping along a fire break when I saw two good bucks chasing a doe. I squated down and brought up my shotgun, which had a low power scope on it. Just as I was about to fire the doe changed direction and headed straight for me. I'm thinking great. Just as they were about thirty yards away gunshots started. I could see the slugs impacting around me. A guy and his 15 year old son opened up on the bucks, and they knocked one down a few yards from me. I'm curled up in a ball screaming for them to stop firing, I've no idea how they could have shot at the bucks and not seen me. Orange baseball cap, large orange vest. I was shaking with anger and being scared S+-#$less. But got up and shot one of the bucks that was trying to get up that I paced to eight yards. The man was in bad shape realizing what had happened. The kid tickled he killed a buck. The doe changed direction because she ran into them. Yeah, public land has issues. I always hunted from tree stands after that day.

The reason I don't hunt public lands.
Except for turkey sometimes. But they have shot people for a turkey before.
Hunting public lands is scary.

Hunting the Ten Sleep, Wy area on the Mountain above Deer Haven. We were all aware that the Air Force used the Ten Sleep Canyon for terrain following radar practice runs. When they come out of the Canyon, if you get the chance to see them coming, they are actually at a lower elevation and when they go overhead, they are just a few hundred above the ground. Because you cannot hear them until they pass above you, it can be a hair-raising experience. Both B1s and B52s would make this run both day and night.

It was prior to the first Iraq war, and we were on the mountain, after dark, headed down when all of a sudden, this odd looking aircraft came out of the canyon, no lights completely black flew over with very little sound. Well, you can imagine the discussion over dinner. My brother would not say a word about what happened, he refused to acknowledge what we saw. After about his third cocktail he finally said, "I don't know about you guys, but I am taking my gun to bed, those were aliens, and they know we saw them."

About two years later we found out about the B-2 Spirit and all our phones were ringing.

Hunting the Ten Sleep, Wy area on the Mountain above Deer Haven. We were all aware that the Air Force used the Ten Sleep Canyon for terrain following radar practice runs. When they come out of the Canyon, if you get the chance to see them coming, they are actually at a lower elevation and when they go overhead, they are just a few hundred above the ground. Because you cannot hear them until they pass above you, it can be a hair-raising experience. Both B1s and B52s would make this run both day and night.

It was prior to the first Iraq war, and we were on the mountain, after dark, headed down when all of a sudden, this odd looking aircraft came out of the canyon, no lights completely black flew over with very little sound. Well, you can imagine the discussion over dinner. My brother would not say a word about what happened, he refused to acknowledge what we saw. After about his third cocktail he finally said, "I don't know about you guys, but I am taking my gun to bed, those were aliens, and they know we saw them."

About two years later we found out about the B-2 Spirit and all our phones were ringing.
Low level is a hoot to fly. Consider this: those planes were flying hands off. The computer is flying the plane. At night and in the weather. Been there, done that. Fun!

Copperheads don't bother me too much, wait until you get a ****ed off cottonmouth chasing you, I absolutely hate those stinky monsters!!! Always seem to be angry and aggressive
We wade a lot and fish the black waters of the river I live on In summertime. Cottonmouth's will absolutely come to you and I have had to swat quite a few with my fishing rod. Alligators take a whole different escape plan however. I've never walked on water, but I've come awful close.

While not life threatening,I got a pretty good start one day while bow hunting.

I had permission to hunt a section of land that had a paved road on the north side,a dirt road on the south side. In the middle of the section a road t'd into the dirt road that was the south border. After the corn was picked on that section,I would park on the north edge and walk across the section,hop on the road that t'd in an follow it to a tree farm about half a mile away. So at 4 in the morning I'm walking down that road by moonlight kind of on the edge of the road and I hear a rustling in the grass. So I stop,and pull out my mini mag light and turn it on. There in the grass about a foot from me is a skunk. He never sprayed, but after that I always used the flashlight to walk in.

The squirrel you got would be in the trash. I came face to face with one laying in a bush when I was in San Antonio. I was cutting grass around the bush, looked up and it stared at me. I jumped straight back at Mach 5. Quit for the day, and drank copious amounts of barley pop that night.
I was on a beverage drinking Sunday sandbar trip at my house. I came back from upriver. Tied the boat. Picked the nearest bush and started taking a leak. My nearest neighbor is a mile away. Very rural. Halfway thru the leaves started rustling. I have a bad prostate and very little pressure so I can barely clear my toes. I was peeing on a copperhead that was in between my feet. At least he crawled away from me.

But cottonmouths aren't aggressive, territorial, or prone to attack intruders! Right. So, I am supposed to believe some U tube "expert" that told me all of this and insulted me (in print), claiming he was an expert on cottonmouths. Asked me if I had video evidence of an aggressive cottonmouth!
Well, I have experienced very aggressive cottomouths more than once, and in my experience, the cottonmouth is very much more prone to show aggression than a rattlesnake.
Moral of this little tale is 1. Don't believe the "experts", and 2. If you prowl and hunt the creeks, sloughs, and lakes, learn what Ol' Stumpytail smells like. They usually can be smelled before they can be seen, but, not always. Take care around the water.