What’s your spookiest hunting experience?

I realize this could go a few different directions, but I know we all have some stories that left us freaked out or weirded out.

I have two, both deer hunting in Northern Idaho. Hiking down a skid road when I heard the most insane yipping and cayaying. It was heading right at me at speed, and I went from confused to fully assuming I was about to be whacked by coyotes/wolves/feral dogs. My hind brain took over and I dove behind a stump and threw my rifle across it, just in time to see a pair of Barred Owls come zooming through the brush, just making the most godawful racket you've ever heard. Took a few minutes to calm down after that.

Second was weirder and still unexplained. I packed a small muley about 4 miles back to the truck, arrived around 9pm, and found another guy waiting by my truck. Super nice, said he was just making sure I made it off the mountain cause it wasn't the safest area (his words). I asked him why, and he just put his finger to his lips and said "sit and listen". I was wrecked so I was happy to sit for a bit. After about 5 minutes, on the opposite side of the canyon I heard what I can only describe as a wounded elk squalling. Half bugle, high pitched, but changing tempo and pitch oddly. It went straight to the spine and made me want to bail. Right as that sound ended, the same type of call lit off on the mountain I had just came down. A third call answered the second from back to the west a good ways. These three calls went back and forth for all of 15-20 minutes before they just stopped with no warning. The other guy and I hadn't said a word the whole time we listened, fairly transfixed. Then he just smiled and me and said "this is why I waited. Not a good mountain to be on after dark". And off he drove. I have no idea what I heard that night (I'm not a big foot believer) but it was the most eerie, hair raising communication I've ever heard. I moved shortly after that (graduated from school and moved home) and I've never been back up there.
I was grouse hunting where i always got a shot up by a sm pond I never saw any grouse which is unusal I turned my quad around and headed back down the hill. On the way down I heard what I thought was a herd of cows running thru the brush in a ravine to the north of me. Paying it no mind I continued on ,about a quarter mile further down the road I noticed a big branch on a downed tree going up and down violently seeing nothing I continued down about a mile later I saw a sm branch move on the side of the road thinking it might be a grouse i pulled up to it thats when I saw a very tall figure in what I thought was a gillie suit 10 feet in front of me walk away I then realized this is no man that big It walked 20 yards and stood behind three clustered aspen trees It peeked around the trees at me then turned and bent down and disappeared I was to scarred and in shock to follow it in the tall weeds It was aprox 4 ft wide in the chest and 9 ft tall I never really believed in Bigfoot before but now I know they exist!!

What made it worse is the second my mother set eyes on the bull standing in her house he chose to take a dump on the carpet 😂
We had a hog operation when I was a kid and one of our favorite forms of entertainment was walking up behind the top hogs, 180 to 220 lbs, while they had their head down in the feeder. We would jump on, grab both ears, and see how long we could hang on. At 9 years old I considered that quality entertainment and far better than any video game of today. Although we would get thrown in the mud and other stuff and stink to high heaven we still had a ball.

We had a hog operation when I was a kid and one of our favorite forms of entertainment was walking up behind the top hogs, 180 to 220 lbs, while they had their head down in the feeder. We would jump on, grab both ears, and see how long we could hang on. At 9 years old I considered that quality entertainment and far better than any video game of today. Although we would get thrown in the mud and other stuff and stink to high heaven we still had a ball.
I would pay to see that!

I realize this could go a few different directions, but I know we all have some stories that left us freaked out or weirded out.

I have two, both deer hunting in Northern Idaho. Hiking down a skid road when I heard the most insane yipping and cayaying. It was heading right at me at speed, and I went from confused to fully assuming I was about to be whacked by coyotes/wolves/feral dogs. My hind brain took over and I dove behind a stump and threw my rifle across it, just in time to see a pair of Barred Owls come zooming through the brush, just making the most godawful racket you've ever heard. Took a few minutes to calm down after that.

Second was weirder and still unexplained. I packed a small muley about 4 miles back to the truck, arrived around 9pm, and found another guy waiting by my truck. Super nice, said he was just making sure I made it off the mountain cause it wasn't the safest area (his words). I asked him why, and he just put his finger to his lips and said "sit and listen". I was wrecked so I was happy to sit for a bit. After about 5 minutes, on the opposite side of the canyon I heard what I can only describe as a wounded elk squalling. Half bugle, high pitched, but changing tempo and pitch oddly. It went straight to the spine and made me want to bail. Right as that sound ended, the same type of call lit off on the mountain I had just came down. A third call answered the second from back to the west a good ways. These three calls went back and forth for all of 15-20 minutes before they just stopped with no warning. The other guy and I hadn't said a word the whole time we listened, fairly transfixed. Then he just smiled and me and said "this is why I waited. Not a good mountain to be on after dark". And off he drove. I have no idea what I heard that night (I'm not a big foot believer) but it was the most eerie, hair raising communication I've ever heard. I moved shortly after that (graduated from school and moved home) and I've never been back up there.
Bad Medicine Country

In the 1800's, white east-side "explorers" in the Washington Cascades often hired a local Indian as a guide, Yakamas having commonly journeyed across the Cascades to visit West-side Indians. One military group seeking to explore Mt. Rainier found their Indian guide refusing to accompany them onto the eastern slopes of the mountain. Their guide said that that land was dangerous and of evil repute among Indians. He called it "Bad Medicine Country". No Indian would go there.

I spent a lot of time backpacking in the Washington Cascades, between the Goat Rocks and Snoqualmie Pass. I hiked the Cascade Crest trail and many of the east-side trails that approach it, and often bushwhacked up and down the steep hills, across the streams, over the ridge-tops. As a trained mountaineer, I was cautious and careful, aware that help might be a long time coming were I to suffer an injury. A bad idea to travel alone in the mountains, justified for me by necessity and experience.

I learned the beauty of sunlit green, white and blue daytime panoramas of the high alpine areas and the cooler darker feel of the lower woods. In the evening, I drop down lower in the cover of the trees, making camp, making dinner, eating, and watching the woods around me. Wind moans through the far treetops, the fading light and the unknown sounds of the close woods convey the vacant loneliness of the wilderness. You realize that nature is indifferent to you, offers neither solace nor care, offers the sharp edge of primordial fear.

South of Chinook Pass, I'd been near the top of Seymour Peak where the vegetation gives out, able to gaze down the east side of the peak, a 1000 foot vertical drop of naked rock, one of nature's dramatic scars. High up on the west side, I'm picking my way down a steep clearing, knee deep in skunk grass, 20 yards in any direction from the scrub fir that covers most of the peak. It's hot and the sweat rolls down my forehead and into my eyes. I pause to wipe it away, suddenly become aware of the hair rising at the back of my neck. My hand drops to the grip of my revolver, and I turn to surveil the surrounding tree line, ready to draw and fire. There is nothing discernably out of the ordinary, but the warning at my neck continues. Nothing for it but to continue going down, pivoting continually, watching my back. As I exit the clearing at its bottom, the eerie feeling fades, and I work my way back down to camp on Dewey Lake. This is my first experience of my own Bad Medicine Country.

The next one happened on the Crest Trail, south of the White Pass, on the south side of Hogback Mountain a bit below Shoe Lake. The position affords a southeast view of Bear Creek Mountain at the east end of the Goat Rocks, Clear Lake, and an occasional glimpse of the sun glinting off the silvery water of the North Fork of the Tieton River far below. Ahead, a sharp shoulder of the mountain blocks the view to south, making with the mountain proper a pocket to my right that enfolds a dense copse of spar pole Larch, shaded from the sun. A small rillet runs down through the copse and exits left. You can't see into the copse, only the fading ranks of the Larch and darkness in daylight, and the suspicion of a presence. As I approach, once again the hackles on my neck rise in warning, and again my hand drops to the pistol butt. I'm on my toes, looking everywhere all at once, half afraid. Bad Medicine Country. Fifty yards down the trail, on the other side of the shoulder, the feeling fades and I move on down to McCall basin and camp.

A year later, a companion and I hiking the same little area have the same experience. Weird, but repeatable.

It's in the same area, early Spring, cold, many feet of snow covering the ground. This time, I'm working my way up the south end of the Hogback Mountain from the North Fork. There's dense cloud cover and ground mist swirling around. I come onto what might have been a small pond under the snow, and the same eerie feeling grips me. Same program, except that, having no particular destination, I turn around and leave the way I came. I'd had a good climb up as it was, no need to tempt fate.

Ten years later, my Father, driving up the North Fork of the Tieton River road, directly below my location of that Spring, crossed paths with a grizzly bear, the full Monte, dish face, round body and ears, 3 inch claws. Master of everything. Bad Medicine.

My final experience with Bad Medicine Country came in full summer and broad daylight, roughly between Old Snowy and McCall Basin. I'd hiked up from the North Fork, onto the Crest Trail and wound around Elk Pass toward Old Snowy, a well-known peak in the Goat Rocks. The trail is a 3 foot wide boulevard on an arete, to the west a steep drop down to stream level, to the east a similarly steep drop down into the North Fork drainage. Looking east down to McCall Basin, I could see that I might with care and my ice axe negotiate the slope and save a mile or so on my return.

So I stepped off, first edging 200 feet down a steep snowfield to a smooth rock flat that terminated in a steep dropoff to the east. A V-shaped cut through the dropoff about thirty feet wide, fifteen feet deep and 150 feet long gave on to some woods leading down to my camp. All went well until I entered the cut, where I walked into a horrible and unfamiliar stench, accompanied by, guess what, rising hackles. The smell wasn't exactly that of a decaying carcass, but similar, with a bit of a whiff of barnyard. I am alert and fearful. Nothing visible and nothing showed as I passed along the cut, hand on gun butt. Very Bad Medicine.

I don't think my Bad Medicine Country was the same as that of the old Indian guide. His was a semi-vertical environment that offered numerous real objective dangers, an environment ventured into only by fools and mountaineers. Mine was not Bad in the sense of the land being dangerous, but in the sense of a presence, whether of a dangerous animal or an eerie spirit I can't be sure.

My years of cruising the wilderness are behind me. The memory of the sometimes scary traverses of uncharted steep and unstable slopes have faded somewhat. But these "Bad Medicine" experiences remain clear in my mind, and I shudder as I recall them, as I shudder to recall the timber wolves howling their midnight warning over the vast Tieton River drainage. It's nice to be safe at home. Though I still carry a pistol.

It was in the late 80s I was hunting deer on Pelham Range in the Anniston Alabama area. It a large track of Army training land, Tanks, small arms, mortars, etc. But its eat up with deer. It's shotgun only and black powder guns, at the time it was shotgun and archery. I was in the block of land I had a permit for slipping along a fire break when I saw two good bucks chasing a doe. I squated down and brought up my shotgun, which had a low power scope on it. Just as I was about to fire the doe changed direction and headed straight for me. I'm thinking great. Just as they were about thirty yards away gunshots started. I could see the slugs impacting around me. A guy and his 15 year old son opened up on the bucks, and they knocked one down a few yards from me. I'm curled up in a ball screaming for them to stop firing, I've no idea how they could have shot at the bucks and not seen me. Orange baseball cap, large orange vest. I was shaking with anger and being scared S+-#$less. But got up and shot one of the bucks that was trying to get up that I paced to eight yards. The man was in bad shape realizing what had happened. The kid tickled he killed a buck. The doe changed direction because she ran into them. Yeah, public land has issues. I always hunted from tree stands after that day.

Last edited:
I am convinced that Foxes and owls are responsible for a great deal of superstition about "what's out there"…

The most gawdawful bloodcurdling hair raising sounds on earth. I could have swore to God I was listening to a woman being skinned alive and it was just a stupid fox! It's a sickening noise they can make.
Absolutely agree. That vixen cry the foxes make will give you chills. Not only does it sound like a young woman being tortured, it goes on for a loooong time on one breath - plus they can do it on the run just to make it extra creepy. I always thought being surrounded in the dark by howling coyote following you out of the stand in the Hill Country was unnerving, but the vixen cry is worse.

Well written. I also have a six sense when bad things are about to happen. But a lot of mine involved people. And always people I didn't know! I'd have someone walk behind me and a shiver would run up my back, I'd turn and make eye contact with them and I could feel pure malice pouring off them.
Bad Medicine Country

In the 1800's, white east-side "explorers" in the Washington Cascades often hired a local Indian as a guide, Yakamas having commonly journeyed across the Cascades to visit West-side Indians. One military group seeking to explore Mt. Rainier found their Indian guide refusing to accompany them onto the eastern slopes of the mountain. Their guide said that that land was dangerous and of evil repute among Indians. He called it "Bad Medicine Country". No Indian would go there.

I spent a lot of time backpacking in the Washington Cascades, between the Goat Rocks and Snoqualmie Pass. I hiked the Cascade Crest trail and many of the east-side trails that approach it, and often bushwhacked up and down the steep hills, across the streams, over the ridge-tops. As a trained mountaineer, I was cautious and careful, aware that help might be a long time coming were I to suffer an injury. A bad idea to travel alone in the mountains, justified for me by necessity and experience.

I learned the beauty of sunlit green, white and blue daytime panoramas of the high alpine areas and the cooler darker feel of the lower woods. In the evening, I drop down lower in the cover of the trees, making camp, making dinner, eating, and watching the woods around me. Wind moans through the far treetops, the fading light and the unknown sounds of the close woods convey the vacant loneliness of the wilderness. You realize that nature is indifferent to you, offers neither solace nor care, offers the sharp edge of primordial fear.

South of Chinook Pass, I'd been near the top of Seymour Peak where the vegetation gives out, able to gaze down the east side of the peak, a 1000 foot vertical drop of naked rock, one of nature's dramatic scars. High up on the west side, I'm picking my way down a steep clearing, knee deep in skunk grass, 20 yards in any direction from the scrub fir that covers most of the peak. It's hot and the sweat rolls down my forehead and into my eyes. I pause to wipe it away, suddenly become aware of the hair rising at the back of my neck. My hand drops to the grip of my revolver, and I turn to surveil the surrounding tree line, ready to draw and fire. There is nothing discernably out of the ordinary, but the warning at my neck continues. Nothing for it but to continue going down, pivoting continually, watching my back. As I exit the clearing at its bottom, the eerie feeling fades, and I work my way back down to camp on Dewey Lake. This is my first experience of my own Bad Medicine Country.

The next one happened on the Crest Trail, south of the White Pass, on the south side of Hogback Mountain a bit below Shoe Lake. The position affords a southeast view of Bear Creek Mountain at the east end of the Goat Rocks, Clear Lake, and an occasional glimpse of the sun glinting off the silvery water of the North Fork of the Tieton River far below. Ahead, a sharp shoulder of the mountain blocks the view to south, making with the mountain proper a pocket to my right that enfolds a dense copse of spar pole Larch, shaded from the sun. A small rillet runs down through the copse and exits left. You can't see into the copse, only the fading ranks of the Larch and darkness in daylight, and the suspicion of a presence. As I approach, once again the hackles on my neck rise in warning, and again my hand drops to the pistol butt. I'm on my toes, looking everywhere all at once, half afraid. Bad Medicine Country. Fifty yards down the trail, on the other side of the shoulder, the feeling fades and I move on down to McCall basin and camp.

A year later, a companion and I hiking the same little area have the same experience. Weird, but repeatable.

It's in the same area, early Spring, cold, many feet of snow covering the ground. This time, I'm working my way up the south end of the Hogback Mountain from the North Fork. There's dense cloud cover and ground mist swirling around. I come onto what might have been a small pond under the snow, and the same eerie feeling grips me. Same program, except that, having no particular destination, I turn around and leave the way I came. I'd had a good climb up as it was, no need to tempt fate.

Ten years later, my Father, driving up the North Fork of the Tieton River road, directly below my location of that Spring, crossed paths with a grizzly bear, the full Monte, dish face, round body and ears, 3 inch claws. Master of everything. Bad Medicine.

My final experience with Bad Medicine Country came in full summer and broad daylight, roughly between Old Snowy and McCall Basin. I'd hiked up from the North Fork, onto the Crest Trail and wound around Elk Pass toward Old Snowy, a well-known peak in the Goat Rocks. The trail is a 3 foot wide boulevard on an arete, to the west a steep drop down to stream level, to the east a similarly steep drop down into the North Fork drainage. Looking east down to McCall Basin, I could see that I might with care and my ice axe negotiate the slope and save a mile or so on my return.

So I stepped off, first edging 200 feet down a steep snowfield to a smooth rock flat that terminated in a steep dropoff to the east. A V-shaped cut through the dropoff about thirty feet wide, fifteen feet deep and 150 feet long gave on to some woods leading down to my camp. All went well until I entered the cut, where I walked into a horrible and unfamiliar stench, accompanied by, guess what, rising hackles. The smell wasn't exactly that of a decaying carcass, but similar, with a bit of a whiff of barnyard. I am alert and fearful. Nothing visible and nothing showed as I passed along the cut, hand on gun butt. Very Bad Medicine.

I don't think my Bad Medicine Country was the same as that of the old Indian guide. His was a semi-vertical environment that offered numerous real objective dangers, an environment ventured into only by fools and mountaineers. Mine was not Bad in the sense of the land being dangerous, but in the sense of a presence, whether of a dangerous animal or an eerie spirit I can't be sure.

My years of cruising the wilderness are behind me. The memory of the sometimes scary traverses of uncharted steep and unstable slopes have faded somewhat. But these "Bad Medicine" experiences remain clear in my mind, and I shudder as I recall them, as I shudder to recall the timber wolves howling their midnight warning over the vast Tieton River drainage. It's nice to be safe at home. Though I still carry a pistol.

Absolutely agree. That vixen cry the foxes make will give you chills. Not only does it sound like a young woman being tortured, it goes on for a loooong time on one breath - plus they can do it on the run just to make it extra creepy. I always thought being surrounded in the dark by howling coyote following you out of the stand in the Hill Country was unnerving, but the vixen cry is worse.
Yep! Mating fox will give you the willies.

One year during archery season, I was hunting a WMA near my house, probably a mile or so back in the woods mostly pine ridge. I was up in my tree Stand with my bow just started getting dark and I heard three groups of coyotes, howling to each other and converging on my area, the Hair stood up on the back of my neck and I decided I needed to get down. It was already fairly dark. I had to pack up my stand put it on my back grab my bow to walk out. Luckily I had my 40 caliber Glock but it didn't help my nerves any. I could hear what sounded like 20 coyotes around me probably more like eight or 10 . with a little tiny cap Light I use I don't like a lot of light walking in or out (don't want to spook any game)they were just out of the range of my light completely circling me and followed me all the way to my truck that was pretty unnerving for me !
Coyotes will atack humans, if in a pack and under the right conditions.

Coyotes will atack humans, if in a pack and under the right conditions.
I wrote about this many pages ago, but when I was around 15 i lost a cow elk in a snowstorm and found her 3-4 days later, mostly eaten by coyotes. After a brief conversation over her body, my dad and I started leaving and all hell broke loose. 10-12 coyotes in a full circle around us, pitching a god-awful fit that we disturbed their meal time. In the moment I was scared shitless. My dad said "let's go after them!" And I held up my muzzleloader, then pointed to his, and said "2 shots dad! A dozen dogs!" And so we went on our way, unharmed but spooked. The coyotes kept up for several minutes after we left. Cool now, scary as hell in the moment. I have always carried a handgun since that day, just for the ammo capacity.

He was about seventy five yards behind me, he said that whenever I would turn my head to listen he would lay down real quick. His dark green uniform just blended in. He was about ten yards behind me as I was getting into the truck. He was a sneaky SOB. But I guess that is job description for game warden.
I once stalked a marmot, 300 yds across an alpine meadow. He had to keep an eye in all directions, so would occasionally turn his head away from me, at which point I'd slowly creep forward. I'd freeze when he was looking at me; without seeing movement, he was oblivious to my presence. After a good time, I was within 6 feet of him. I figures he could react aggressively with those impressive marmot teeth, so I let him know I was there at that distance. You wouldn't believe how fast a marmot can be!

I learned this stalking technique from my father, who stalked a buck mule deer in the same way, on his uncle's ranch near Goble, Or. They subsistence hunted there then, so he'd a Model 94 with him. The larder was full, so he backed away after achieving his stalk, stepped off into the brush, and watched the buck mosey on past down the way that Dad had come.

Most prey animals must keep a 360 lookout, affording a patient stalker good opportunity. I'm curious whether a human might be stalked in the same way but would never try it, due to courtesy and an instinct for self-preservation. Scaring others in the woods is bad practice. Any game warden practising stalking on someone is risking his own life and should know that.

If you have ever hunted in Central California, you've probably run into wild boar roaming around. Now these boar are mean and will confront humans with no thought. The Spanish settelers back in the day brought them over for food, sport, and as it turned out, to control rattlesnakes. A friend of mine and I were out hunting birds and boars. We both had sidearms, 12ga 8 shot for the birds and each of us had 12ga slugs for the boar. We got zip the first day and ate chili for dinner. The day got long and we decided to camp. I had a very old army surplus tent with a broken door zipper. No floor. Somewhere around 2-3 am (I think), my buddy rolled over snoring loudly and woke us both up. I felt something move on the foot of my sleeping bag. I managed to focus my eyes and saw the biggest Western Diamond back I have ever seen snagging warmth from my bag. Don't ask me why it didn't crawl into my bag. Just lucky I guess. I just stared at it. My buddy let out a screech that any 6 year old girl would be proud of. My ears hurt. He pulled out his .38 special and put 2 rat shot shells through the foot of my bag. The bag was shredded, but somehow my feet were unscathed. The snake was no more. We exited that tent like a vapor jumping up and down hollering at the top of our lungs. (At this point all of our firearms were IN the tent). A rustle in the brush to our left caught our attention and we fixed our gaze there. After what seemed like 5 minutes (more like 5 seconds), a fully grown mountain lion stood up and let out a growl and hiss I never want to hear again. It had been lying in the brush, presumably trying to figure out its dinner. It ran off out of sight immediately afterward and all was silent again. Why that cat stayed there through the gunshots and screaming we were making absolutely bamboozles me, I was dumbfounded. But who am I to argue? I bought a new tent WITH a door zipper and floor. Yes, I stained my pants and my buddy barfed for 10 minutes. It was only then we realized neither of had a weapon in hand, they were left in the tent. My knees went to rubber and I hit the ground. Lessons learned. I can only guess the my lord God had others plans for us.
All nature double-teaming you !

Ok, NEVER told anyone of this incident. Hunting Adirondacks early 20's, ok wise guys my age, not the roaring twenties, which was long time ago. Out of fingers and toes counting how long ago. I left hunting camp to hunt solo since nobody wanted to make the trek in so far well before daylight. This was way before GPS so it was compass to stay on course. I get about 1/4 mile from the meadow that I never hunted before and stopped. Something told me to lay up. No sounds. Dark in Adirondacks is can't see hand. I have no idea why I stopped and turned my flashlight off. I listen. Absolutely nothing. I mean no rustling of mice, no night birds, no owls. DEAD quiet. Then I see a glow, then a large brilliant white light soundlessly rises up out of the meadow and disappeared into sky. No visible shape just brilliant white light. I am dead serious about this. I sat there on a log, light off and shaking so freaking hard for quite a while. Dawn broke, I stood up and went back to camp. I never went to meadow to check and NEVER went back to that meadow to hunt. Never told anyone of this until this thread hit a nerve.

Swamp gas my butt.
"Strange things are done 'neath the midnight sun..."