What’s your favorite cartridge?

6.5 WSM. It is a good choice in my mind for antelope and Coues. Have used it with the 124 HH a couple of times on cow elk with no regrets.

Rifle = 6.5CM, and most 6.5mm cartridges. Also, really like the 6mm CM.

Handgun = 10mm, and 38 Super/9x23 Winchester, although I don't shoot them much. So, shooting wise the 9mm & 10mm.

Have several others but they're old cartridges that have fallen out of favor and arms chambered for them.

That being said I really like my several 6.5CMs (various configurations) getting the first one in 2010 with a custom build. Because of the inherent accuracy of the 6.5 CM, as well as the new advanced bullet tech it's my main big game cartridge. Until the 6.5AM my fav was the 30/06 and would still use one depending on circumstances and AOPS.

All cartridges have their limitations, as well as all hunters with their abilities.

My .02

.338-.378 Weatherby 29.5" with 285 grn Hammer hunter = lights out
.240 Weatherby 28.5" with 105 Berger vld hunt = nasty
22-250 40 grn Nosler = fun
.338 Win model 70 225 Barnes tsx = "the old meat getter"
6.5-300 Weatherby 124 Hammer , we'll see ! Should show in a couple months
460 Rowland SW 2.0 260 grn for carry in the bush
40 SW M&P carry - town

Last edited:
I'm kind of boring. The good old 300 win. mag.
I concur, if I could only choose one it would be 300 WM due to versatility, bullet selection and factory ammo availability. The single most popular magnum, you can find it pretty much in every major sporting goods store and it can be loaded up or down for virtually anything. My favorite load is a 210 Berger VLD H over H1000, it is capable of taking any North American game out to 1,000 with energy to spare. Not that I would shoot that far but the rifle is capable of it so why would I need more. The PRC is a little bit more of the same but not as available and I have never felt under-gunned with the 300 WM. All that said, my 308 is a lot more fun and cheaper to shoot without the pounding recoil.

Ok. I'll play. I know the thread says "Favorite Cartridge". Most all list multiple so I'm going also. For getting it done on anything 300 RUM or 300 WM.
First cartridge I started loading for and hunted with for many years is 7 Rem Mag. Lately I like the 6.5 PRC. Varmit round we be 22-250. Gotta have 22lr. I've always been fond of the 22 mag.