What’s your favorite cartridge?

I've been hunting whitetail with a 6.5 CM for a couple years without complaint but I'm really hoping my new favorite is going to be the new 30-06 Weatherby I just purchased.

For pure fun to shoot I'm going to give the nod to my Henry 44-40 Win. Accuracy is what you might expect but I get a kick out of pulling the trigger and then pausing to listen for the big thunk or metal ringing when the round finally strikes the target. Somedays I think you could take a baseball glove and shag a few rounds as they come crashing back to earth. lol.

.264 Winchester Magnum. I got a used one in Model 70 pre'64, Westerner with a stainless barrel in late 1964. It came with 7 boxes of Winchester factory ammunition. After those were gone, I could reload using Sierra bullets for a nickle per round. A local store that was getting out of the reloading business had all sorts of bullets for less than $3/100. I bought all they had. CCI magnum primers were a penny, Hodgdon H450, H570, H870, were less than $2 a pound. But I quickly went to Nosler partitions for whitetail because all the 6.5mm bullets back then had very thin jackets and behaved like varmint rounds at 3200fps or higher. I don't know how many 1000's I've put through it. I practice on jack rabbits. 6 rabbits eat as much a much one sheep. And a 100gr hollow point @ 3700fps will turn a rabbit inside out if you hit him coming or going.
I had gotten a 300 H & H mag at 14 yr old. It would turn rabbits inside out. 2nd centerfire rifle and started reloading at that time. Yes powder at $2.00 per #, bullet less than $3.00 per hundred. Primers about $0.75 per hundred.

.264 Winchester Magnum. I got a used one in Model 70 pre'64, Westerner with a stainless barrel in late 1964. It came with 7 boxes of Winchester factory ammunition. After those were gone, I could reload using Sierra bullets for a nickle per round. A local store that was getting out of the reloading business had all sorts of bullets for less than $3/100. I bought all they had. CCI magnum primers were a penny, Hodgdon H450, H570, H870, were less than $2 a pound. But I quickly went to Nosler partitions for whitetail because all the 6.5mm bullets back then had very thin jackets and behaved like varmint rounds at 3200fps or higher. I don't know how many 1000's I've put through it. I practice on jack rabbits. 6 rabbits eat as much a much one sheep. And a 100gr hollow point @ 3700fps will turn a rabbit inside out if you hit him coming or going.
I have 3 boxes of the old Westerner ammo.

Well not for longevity but for killing power and down range energy I'm really loving the 27,28,30 nosler.
But my all time favourite is my 270 wby.
I agree. My throated 30 Nosler is awesome. Especially with 215 Berger hybrid or 210 ABLR. But my lighter go to rifle is a throated 270WSM. Faster than the PRCs and plenty capable using 150 grain bullets.

I don't think I have a favorite cartridge. I like a myriad of mid-size cartridges like .243, 6mm, 6.5 CM, and 7-08. And for anything bigger then that I hunt I do just fine with my 30-06. There are so many cartridges out there that can do the same or similar things it boggles the mind. The firearms and ammo manufacturers know how to keep us wetting our lips for new stuff. Let's face it, we could get by with just one or two rifles.

Growing up (middle 50's to middle 60's - till I left for college) - it was a .32 Winchester Special in Model 94 (using 170 grain - round nose Silver Tips) - as that is what dad gave me to hunt with. :) They only went downrange at 2,200 fps - but hit hard.

He carried the sporterized Springfield 1903 in 30.06 (w/ a custom barrel - Timney trigger - blond stock w/ cheekpiece) ) - as good of an all around cartridge as there ever was - and used 180 grain Noslers ? Back then - what - around 2,600-2,700 fps ?

We had BIG Mulies around Klamath Falls, Oregon (at over 4,000 feet - w/ some going over 300 lbs -we talked weight - not racks). Fortunately - don't recall having to use more than one shot - but can't say for sure.

Just bought a 6.5 Creedmore in a Tikka T3 light (great parking lot deal- under $550) - and am going to fool around with that for long range plinking. Used nice little 130 to 140 grain - long/low drag bullets -- really buck the wind.

Pit a very decent 4x12 - 40 Burris scope on it - but if really get into long range shooting (was on a Rifle team once - waaay back) - may put a stronger Leopold or Vortex on it.

Last edited:
I need to add one to my list as all time favorite is my 338 Excalibur but only if I could get brass for it. 135 grains of 872
Pushing a 245 grain lehigh at 3450 fps is hard not to be a favorite.

30-06 Below - My 30-06 with my hand loads from a bench @200yds...I really do like her... I've taken elk, mule deer, whitetail deer, antelope, and a few not so lucky groundhogs, from inside 50 yds to outside 300. Most have been DRT. She's very reliable, consistent and accurate!
3 shot group.JPG

Used to be for many years 8mm Rem mag. Loved that rifle. Gave it to my brother, said he wanted to start hunting 15 years ago. He still has not even shot it. Now I grab my 375H&H mostly and sometimes an old Winchester 70 in 300H&H . I hunt the western states and Alaska .