What’s your favorite big game hunt ?

I definitely love chasing mule deer through the hills in search of that ancient brut. Would love to have the opportunity to go higher after sheep/goat.

Mountain zebra. No kidding. Smart, sneaky, wary buggers that live in horrible places.

I get a kick out of lots of different things. Not much beats a nice evening with my buddy, a couple of dogs, and a covey of partridge. Plains game in Namibia is fantastic. The gemsbok in the Kalahari are enormous and I finally got in the 40" club. Looking forward to a Cape buff hunt when all this virus nonsense ends.

But, after all that, I always circle back to mulies in the high country. It's in my blood, hasn't ever left, and I'm 12 years old again every time I see a nice one.

I've hunted all over the world and have taken 100's of animals on those hunts. But nothing lights my fire more than hunting hogs with dogs. We've been doing this in my family for generations and there's just something about it that just burns in me. Been hunting hogs this way before l was a year old in my dad's pack almost 50 yrs now and never looked back. Many in Hawai'i can tell the same story its just in our DNA it seems lol. I hunt 2-3 times a week if not more and it never gets old. The sound of the battle between a big boar and the dogs jus brings out the primal in me lol. Lost many 4 legged warriors over the years but will never forget them. For they gave the ultimate sacrifice!

Black bear with hounds. Just hearing those ol bear hounds open up on the dog box . Putting them on the ground and watching and hearing them move the track is absolutely amazing. And if that ain't enough the pride and good feelings of seeing your young dogs doing it . My son has a 1 1/2 yr old walker hound right now that's out doing all of our old dogs by a long shot he's worth his weight in gold in our eyes. And we've got more prospects coming up

Black bear with hounds. Just hearing those ol bear hounds open up on the dog box . Putting them on the ground and watching and hearing them move the track is absolutely amazing. And if that ain't enough the pride and good feelings of seeing your young dogs doing it . My son has a 1 1/2 yr old walker hound right now that's out doing all of our old dogs by a long shot he's worth his weight in gold in our eyes. And we've got more prospects coming up

I bought a hunt with dogs for my oldest son two years ago. It was a college graduation present from me to him. I went along, but I wasn't hunting. I will say that it was an incredibly enjoyable hunt with the dogs. Their barking quickly became music to my ears. What an addictive sport!

I can completely relate to your post. And my son also shot a very nice bear too. It was the icing on the cake.

I have enjoyed hunting many places here in the states and africa but I would have to say west Texas chasing mule deer and aoudad

So what is your absolute favorite big game hunt? The one that you tell everyone they MUST go on! Lets hear details; species, location, outfitter or DIY, successful or not, going back, etc.
I have been on a number of different hunts and want to start thinking about the next adventure
The mysterious Jackolope

I always wanted to get after a blueberry black bear on a DIY hunt. Anyone have any experience chasing one? Favorite state and/or time of year?

I do plan on looking much deeper into this and doing all the research on it I can, but thought I would pick you good gentleman's brains as well.

Last edited:
Cape Buffalo. The only animal when wounded will circle back and stalk you. That will put some hair on your *** in tall grass.