Western nd 300 yd and 740 yds bucks

yesterday my buddy and I tagged our bucks
Mine was small antlered 3x3 but huge body
my buddy's was big rack but smaller body
mine was at 299 ranged with my Tikka 6.5 creedmoor and prime 130 gr ammo,
buddys was 740 yds ranged with custom 300 prc and Hornady factory ammo.
wind was 10-15 at about 45 deg. The short shot was into wind and no mystery. Buddy's was more like full 45 deg Which explains the ham shot.
mine at 300 was a monster with small rack, his was big rack smaller body.
image is of the 4 bucks we got this season in western ND
on tailgate are heads from season, mine is 2nd from right, 740 yd is on right
i do not recommend prime ammo for hunting as it does not mushroom properly. My big one was a grizzeld old veteran with lots of scars and torn ears. Glad he went down quick!

View attachment 411460
I remember hunting out there in early 1970s'. Rough country. Nice haul!

its been a while since i worked in ND, but i can easily recall some of those work trips. one in july and one in Feb. had a 104Ā° day there and a -35Ā° day there! its the days in between that were nice šŸ˜‚ i did a fair amount of driving and saw a good number of deer. nice to see some harvests

congrats on these bucks to you and your pals.

I have had exceptional results with the factory Prime and reloads with the same 130 gr Golden Target. Lots of damage and great exits on 10+ deer here in Kansas. What was your muzzle velocity?
this shows the recovery of one of the two shots I made on this deer. It shows the jacket stuck on the off side skin. The jacket was empty so it separated. The previous deer I shot with prime 130 gr ammo also shed jacket
once shame on you, twice shame on me
you can see the jacket in the skin

Attachments

• DFDE6C6C-6338-4858-BB82-05C961EB1C9D.jpeg
    DFDE6C6C-6338-4858-BB82-05C961EB1C9D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I bought a tube at salvage yard and bolted it to fence post
when I shoot a deer in the fields by myself, I put the hoist on truck, drive out and winch it up, gut it and swivel it into bed drive back to cabin
lower it, set up hoist on fence post and re-hoist the carcas for skinning and butchering.
I bone out the deer into gallon zip top bags and deliver them to processors (wisheck nd ideally). In this zone we are free from wasting disease, but no carcasses can be transported across state lines.
fyi, get a pack of wells Lamont cotton glove liners and a box of extra large nitrile gloves to trim the deer when it's cold
i have nearly frozen my hands trying to skin and cut up deer in the past. I remembered my days cutting up turkeys for swift in 1986 and found some cotton gloves and holy cow that made all the difference. What used to take us a day with breaks, took 4 hrs since our hands were fine.

Last edited:
when I shoot a deer in the fields by myself, I put the hoist on truck, drive out and winch it up, gut it and swivel it into bed drive back to cabin
lower it, set up hoist on fence post and re-hoist the carcas for skinning and butchering.
I bone out the deer into gallon zip top bags and deliver them to processors (wisheck nd ideally). In this zone we are free from wasting disease, but no carcasses can be transported across state lines.
fyi, get a pack of wells Lamont cotton glove liners and a box of extra large nitrile gloves to trim the deer when it's cold
i have nearly frozen my hands trying to skin and cut up deer in the past. I remembered my days cutting up turkeys for swift in 1986 and found some cotton gloves and holy cow that made all the difference. What used to take us a day with breaks, took 4 hrs since our hands were fine.
Wishek*

this shows the recovery of one of the two shots I made on this deer. It shows the jacket stuck on the off side skin. The jacket was empty so it separated. The previous deer I shot with prime 130 gr ammo also shed jacket
once shame on you, twice shame on me
you can see the jacket in the skin
Thats the way those bullets perform, just like BERGERs. PRIME ammo doesn't state that their bullets mushroom just that they will harvest game....and they do.

I shot my deer at 299 yds ranged off the same tripod. That thing is awesome when the grass and whatnot makes bipods a joke.
we knew I hit my buck hard from the sound of the "whop" he went down and we walked up on him. He got up and I rushed to a local high spot and deployed my Harris bipod and plunked him again at less than 200 yds.
shoulder gloves and havalon knife made quick work of gut.
i was shooting Tikka t3 6.5 creed with silencer central Varminter 4 now called banish

Last edited:
Thats the way those bullets perform, just like BERGERs. PRIME ammo doesn't state that their bullets mushroom just that they will harvest game....and they do.
You are right that prime makes no claim on game performance and I don't hold them to any standard. Their ammo is crazy consistent and accurate, I just don't plan to use it for game taking in future.