Well that didn’t go how I planned it!

Tidus56

I was thinking about all the success we see on here and how little people mention their mistakes. So I wanted to add this thread for some stories about how stuff doesn't always go just right.

My first time archery hunting I was driving down the road to an area we like to glass. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a buck and decided to hop out go see what I could do. My buddy who is an amazing hunter jumped out to tag along. We went through the trees where the buck had gone and popped out of some oak brush to see a TOAD of a buck. I had seen this buck scouting, but hadn't found him since the hunt began. Big ole 4x5 we figures scored 185, that's huge to me. So I try to notch my arrow, but I am shaking so bad I can't hardly get the arrow out of the quiver. When I finally get it nocked I hear my buddy gently laughing, the deer had gone but in his place a decent 3x3 had replaced him. I try to pull back but I hadn't set my release so it wouldn't grab the D loop. I continue to fumble and drop the arrow on the ground and make all kinds of racket. I finally get pulled back and miss by a mile…I mean it wasn't close. I was pretty embarrassed but my buddy just told me to laugh it off and not take it all so seriously. I ended up getting a little buck later with a 70 yard shot. So I was pleased with my shooting, but hate that I missed the opportunity.

Even worse was my sable, kind of embarrassed just to tell this one. I didn't bring my gun to SA as I really didn't want to deal with it. However once there I realized that was a big mistake as their guns left a lot to be desired.
While out hunting we saw a bunch of Sables a ways off. So we snuck in and made a great stalk. Once there, they were all laying down and I was setup and waiting for the one I wanted to stand up. I looked down at my hand and I was shaking, I mean really shaking. That hadn't happened since my first archery hunt (see above). I took a few breaths and tried to relax but it just got worse. Then the sable stood up, I put the cross hairs on the animal and shot and hit him high, shot again hit him almost in the same spot. He took off and I figured I was SOL. We moved just a bit and he had moved a bit but was still there and he was hurt but not horrible. He acted like he was in shock more than anything. So I shot again, this time all I had was butt with some side and figured I might get a shot into his vitals if I angled it just right. Well fortunately this shot made it into the vitals but really still wasn't great. He went laid down in some trees and we moved closer. With one bullet left I shot again…..I freaking missed him at 80 yards off sticks!! That was the last bullet I had, so the guide took off into the trees back to the truck in the mean time this sable keeps trying to stand up. SMH! Man what a mess, he got back and I put a final shot in him. I was so embarrassed I almost didn't take pictures. Some times stuff just doesn't work out!

Anyone else have a fun story, don't add to this thread to make fun of ppl or act like a jerk. Just honest ppl telling their stories of mistakes or funny experiences hunting.
I also once got to the top of the mtn without my tag, that was a bummer!

Love it and we need more of it. A couple big ones for me and I knew better.
Never taped a muzzle brake to keep rain out. Sure as heck it was raining hard and a bull came by at 100 yards. Clueless I was there and it was a chip shot. Saw the hit and he took off going towards the cliffs. I had time to hit him again and my gun was locked up could not move the bolt. He went over the edge as I was trying to chamber new round. Went to where he was and yep hair blood and it was a decent amount. Beat the bolt open and water in my barrel had hydraulic over pressured it. Lost the blood trail in the rocks about a mile later due to the rain and never found the bull. Obviously the water caused major POI change and a chip shot was a shtick shot.

Shot a bull across a canyon only about 550. He went down after a couple steps with head up. I was going to shoot him again and my brother stopped me. "I saw the hit he is down don't shoot him again just a waste of meat". We are getting the horses and SOB he got up and walked over the hill into the next canyon. Never found that bull either. Again we both knew better and never before nor ever again. If it's head up or moving we put another round or two into Elk.

Never taped a muzzle brake to keep rain out. Sure as heck it was raining hard and a bull came by at 100 yards. Clueless I was there and it was a chip shot. Saw the hit and he took off going towards the cliffs. I had time to hit him again and my gun was locked up could not move the bolt. He went over the edge as I was trying to chamber new round. Went to where he was and yep hair blood and it was a decent amount. Beat the bolt open and water in my barrel had hydraulic over pressured it. Lost the blood trail in the rocks about a mile later due to the rain and never found the bull. Obviously the water caused major POI change and a chip shot was a shtick shot.

Shot a bull across a canyon only about 550. He went down after a couple steps with head up. I was going to shoot him again and my brother stopped me. "I saw the hit he is down don't shoot him again just a waste of meat". We are getting the horses and SOB he got up and walked over the hill into the next canyon. Never found that bull either. Again we both knew better and never before nor ever again. If it's head up or moving we put another round or two into Elk.
Nice! Both experiences suck, but I bet you never made them again! I actually just made note to add tape to my hunting gear!

It's far easier to post our few, occassional triumphs than to word process the volumes of myriad, dismal failures we've all experienced that got us to this lofty point of self proclaimed grace. Please allow me a modicum of dignity here. Just remembering those "lesser achievements" has me in a cold sweat even now.

I had a stand set up on water.Archery hunting,had passed a 6by there before,years earlier.Faint bugle below,i hear some braches breaking and this bull is coming in below.In past most came in level to look first.He was probably about 330 and figured I had him,my tree had huge branches coming off and I leaned way out and shot,heard arrow clangining and bounce off his rack.I had hit the top of a large bat sized branch on just top edge,hadnt missed a shot in probably a dozen years.Climbed down got my clean arrow,left.Went up next eve, another descent 6x6 had come in about 30 min later.That same eve.

Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees.
This past deer season here in N.C. I was hunting a 4-5yr old cutdown with large, two vehicle, shooting lanes cut down the middle.
There is a larger, fresh (this summer) cutdown adjacent to the cutdown I'm located in. A hunting club, using dogs, had been hounding the area all day due to a late night sighting of a decent buck that was chasing does on the edge of "my" cutdown.
I was in the stand all day and saw around 40 deer, with only two being small bucks, a spike and 3 pt. The dogs actually ran a couple does into my cutdown and ran around and around but eventually left chasing the does.
10 minutes before the end of legal shooting light, I spy several deer coming out of the cutdown into the shooting lanes. They came out back to the West about 250yds, so the sun was killing me but I could see a nice, long tined buck with about 5-6 does. Immediate heart rate increase.
I had my AR in had and elected to go for my 7mmRM instead. Well by the time I shuffle around and get my LR rifle ready all I can see are 2-3 does walking away and going out the back side of the cutdown. Darn, I think, they're leaving. After a little pondering I figured the buck had stepped back in the cutdown to freshen up a scape or rub. Meanwhile the window I was looking and trying to shoot through, wasn't opening up enough so I could get a clear view through my scope. By the time I get that fixed I see the buck has come back out of the cutdown and appears to be looking for his honeys. He's walking toward me and I'm on him, just as he gets to the edge he pauses. I go for a high shoulder shot and squeeze a 162gn Hornady off. The 7Mag roars, the looks up at my stand and quickly returns in the direction he came.
Should have been a dead deer, instead a clean miss as I shot right over his shoulders. All my LR rifles are zeroed at 300yds, I saw the bullet impact the dirt/mud just beyond where he was standing at 100yds! ARGH! I kicked by butt all the way home. Oh well, he lives and I learn. Hope he forgets by next year.

P.S. The AR would have made a neck shot easily.

I was thinking about all the success we see on here and how little people mention their mistakes. So I wanted to add this thread for some stories about how stuff doesn't always go just right.

My first time archery hunting I was driving down the road to an area we like to glass. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a buck and decided to hop out go see what I could do. My buddy who is an amazing hunter jumped out to tag along. We went through the trees where the buck had gone and popped out of some oak brush to see a TOAD of a buck. I had seen this buck scouting, but hadn't found him since the hunt began. Big ole 4x5 we figures scored 185, that's huge to me. So I try to notch my arrow, but I am shaking so bad I can't hardly get the arrow out of the quiver. When I finally get it nocked I hear my buddy gently laughing, the deer had gone but in his place a decent 3x3 had replaced him. I try to pull back but I hadn't set my release so it wouldn't grab the D loop. I continue to fumble and drop the arrow on the ground and make all kinds of racket. I finally get pulled back and miss by a mile…I mean it wasn't close. I was pretty embarrassed but my buddy just told me to laugh it off and not take it all so seriously. I ended up getting a little buck later with a 70 yard shot. So I was pleased with my shooting, but hate that I missed the opportunity.

Even worse was my sable, kind of embarrassed just to tell this one. I didn't bring my gun to SA as I really didn't want to deal with it. However once there I realized that was a big mistake as their guns left a lot to be desired.
While out hunting we saw a bunch of Sables a ways off. So we snuck in and made a great stalk. Once there, they were all laying down and I was setup and waiting for the one I wanted to stand up. I looked down at my hand and I was shaking, I mean really shaking. That hadn't happened since my first archery hunt (see above). I took a few breaths and tried to relax but it just got worse. Then the sable stood up, I put the cross hairs on the animal and shot and hit him high, shot again hit him almost in the same spot. He took off and I figured I was SOL. We moved just a bit and he had moved a bit but was still there and he was hurt but not horrible. He acted like he was in shock more than anything. So I shot again, this time all I had was butt with some side and figured I might get a shot into his vitals if I angled it just right. Well fortunately this shot made it into the vitals but really still wasn't great. He went laid down in some trees and we moved closer. With one bullet left I shot again…..I freaking missed him at 80 yards off sticks!! That was the last bullet I had, so the guide took off into the trees back to the truck in the mean time this sable keeps trying to stand up. SMH! Man what a mess, he got back and I put a final shot in him. I was so embarrassed I almost didn't take pictures. Some times stuff just doesn't work out!

Anyone else have a fun story, don't add to this thread to make fun of ppl or act like a jerk. Just honest ppl telling their stories of mistakes or funny experiences hunting.
I also once got to the top of the mtn without my tag, that was a bummer!
A lot of that sounds so familiar to me ! You can look back at it later and laugh. Especially when Archery. Rifle some still haunt me and tick me off. One in 2012 twice in X12 Ca. One same year in Wy. And twice 2016 Nv. Both Ca. and Nv. were two separate trips at beginning and end of season.
Why did I read you post. Now I'm mad again ! Lol. Got redemption in X12 Ca. Last year. Kinda...

In Co. 1993 I shot a bull elk at about 350 yds. I knew I hit him good. He never moved. But he was still standing . I thought what the hll ? I shot again. Didn't move. I used worse words... I shot again. Still standing . I said no way I watched in binos for a couple min..Didn't move. I untied my horse behind me and ride down the Mtn. to the elk. He was dead on the first shot and fell/learned on the dead tree and log behind him ! I wish I had a camera.

In Co. 1993 I shot a bull elk at about 350 yds. I knew I hit him good. He never moved. But he was still standing . I thought what the hll ? I shot again. Didn't move. I used worse words... I shot again. Still standing . I said no way I watched in binos for a couple min..Didn't move. I untied my horse behind me and ride down the Mtn. to the elk. He was dead on the first shot and fell/learned on the dead tree and log behind him ! I wish I had a camera.
HaHa! That's crazy! I'm curious though, what kind of group did you shoot?

I was archery hunting Ohio some years ago on the top of a ridge in a large bedding area. The first morning a nice 140" buck approached from my rear but veered out of range. I should have taken note and turned my stand to the opposite side of the tree. Day 2 and I catch movement behind me and see antler so get prepared for a shot at the 140" deer only to realize it wasn't the 140 but Big Moe. Largest whitetail I ever seen, probably close to 180" and huge body. He follows the trail to 30 yards but I need him to pass since I'm on the wrong side of the tree. I spin around so I can shoot the trail to my left side and then he decided to just walk through the thick stuff to my right so I turn back to my right and the safety harness was wrapped so tightly I couldn't draw my bow. After he passed I spun around and of course the gig was up at that point. He walked away like he owned the place which he did! I ended up shooting a 125" the last afternoon. Learned a few lessons on that trip!

Many years ago when I was still quite new to western hunting I was out after mule deer in the mountains near our home. At that time we were allowed two bucks so I had two tags in my pocket. It was mid-November and the rut was in full swing. I was working with the Forest Service so I was spending a lot of time in new logging areas and getting a good idea for where deer were hanging out. On this day I went to an area where logging had just finished, parked on a landing, and started hiking up a steep skid trail. When I got to the top of the fresh cut I took a minute to catch my breath and looked back down at the landing. The biggest mule deer buck I had ever seen, at least 30 inches and high, was standing in the middle of the landing not far from my truck, and he seemed to be staring right at me. It was surreal but I managed to get down on one knee and get a steady rest. I was sighted in for a hundred yards (I didn't know any better at the time), but figured he was at a bit more than two so I aimed right at the top of his back and squeezed one off. I saw dirt fly on the landing over his back but it was enough to spook him and he walked into the timber. I stood up stunned and realized I had made a rookie mistake. It was a steep slope, I needed to aim lower. But I didn't have time to think about it because just then another huge buck jumped off the bank directly behind me and landed on the skid trail almost on top of me. By the time I recovered he was bounding in huge leaps down the trail toward the landing. I got the rifle up and tried to find him in the scope, managed to get one shot off but it was wild, then another shot that was more controlled but still missed, and just as he got to the bottom at the landing he stopped, turned full broadside to me, and looked back up the trail, and there I was, with an empty rifle.