WEll is everyone dialed in, tuned up, and ready to go...

41mag

Well since getting my bow only a couple of months ago, I have really learned a lot. Found out that expensive arrows don't alwasy shoot as good as the price suggest. Learned how to tune my bow myself. Started fletching arrows to save a few bucks, yea like I save by handloading. LOL

Anyway I got several stands set up and ready to go, got the ranges checked and marked using my laser so I don't have to waist time with it while a deer or hog is coming in. Got my arrows weighed, sorted, and sighted in.

Hopefully in a few weeks, I will be able to trip the release on my first whitetail with a bow. I had to quit shooting groups a while back, figured after the second RH in a week, enough was enough.

I was going to go with the NAP Razorcap, but found it didn't like the arrow, and speed I was shooting at. Switched over to the Hellrazor and the Slick Trick and found them to shoot spot on with my field points.

So I will be hunting with a Bowtech Tomcat @ 67#, strung with Bucknasty custom strings, shooting 450gr Carbon Express 6075's chronoed at 20yds at 258fps, tipped with either the Hellrazors, or Slick Tricks, sights are Black Gold Flashpoint, and a Scott Mongoose Release,

I know there are better rigs out there with more speed but I figure what I got added up should suffice for anything I will be putting the sight pin on.

So are your tuned up and ready? What will you be hitting the woods with?

Ready here...last weekend was the opener. I'm after elk and we got within 91 yards of 6 cows, 5 calves and a spike; but that's too far for me.
I'm carrying a Hoyt X-tec, gold tip arrows with G-5 Montec broadheads...at 255 fps.
My personal limit is a maximum of 60 yards, but I'd feel better about 40 yards.
Good luck!

Yep, I'm ready to go, wait, I mean I'm finished. I took a buck in California a couple weeks ago @ 56 yards and a Bull Elk four days ago in Colorado @ 7 yards. I'm just getting home and will be posting the story on Mon. once I get some free time. I was shooting a Mathews Drenalin @ 67 lbs easton FMJ arrows, Montec Striker broadheads, Montanna black gold sight with pins to 80 yards, and a drop zone rest. I don't know how fast the bow shoots, I just know it is fast and accurate. I will be trying to take a Bear in the next few weeks with my recurve up on some property I have here in Ca.Rifle deer opens here in 3 weeks and I have my first long range rifle ready to go.Mike

Iam set here in MN opner in 6 days and a wake up for deer have a mathews ultra max YES it is old but that dont stop it schaffer drop away gen2 rest schaffer opposition backwoods sight check them out here on the web rock sloid equipment 29" 60# beman 400gr 263fps grim reapers mec.100gr (havent found fixed blade i like yet ran out of $) eney thing 70y on down is mine dont have that mutch room to shoot up here but iam ready to got are spot all picked out 4 miles south of the canada boader YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

well back from the boader did see squat went down to the MN river here in the metro 2nt week end of bow season got me a 8 pointer

I went out Friday evening and Saturday morning for my first times this season. Not much rut activity so far. Since I am busy preparing for a Montana rifle hunt, I will postpone more bowhunting until this weekend when the rut should be stronger.

Well I scored my first...

The opener here for archery was Sept. 27th. I managed to have a small racked buck come by and figured that he would make a nice introduction to bow hunting. He stopped broadside at 20 yards and I slipped the trigger on him. From the time I released he managed to turn slightly to his right which put the arrow impacting right into his back between his shoulder blades, and exiting the paunch just in front of his left ham. It slammed him sideways almost taking him off his feet and away he went crashing through the underbrush.

I heard what I thought was him finishing his dash and let things be for almost half an hour before slipping down from my stand. When I found my arrow I couldn't figure out why or how I had hit him in an area that would leave the sign on the arow I was seeing, so I backed out and we let him be for several hours. When we came back 4 of us searched extensively and found only three tiny drops of blood. We knew the direction he went up to a point but after he crossed the top of a smll rise, I could not visually see where he went. There was several directions he could have gone and one was onto a pipeline right away which was overgrown with 6' tall weeds. We figured this would have been the place and we tried to no avail to search it as best we could. That evening my bud Tim saw the buzzards working a spot right where we had searched earlier and that night we headed back over and after another 30 minutes of working through the mess of weeds we finially put hands on him. Between the afternoon temps in the 80's and the birds working him over really hard, we only tagged and took the rack. He was a decent sized deer just didn't have much horns which is typical of a lot of the deer in that area.
P1010005-1.jpg

I realized that you cannot control every apect of the hunt, and that sometimes these things happen but it didn't make me feel any better about loosing the meat. It is definately not the same as tripping the trigger on a 3150 fps cartridge for sure. Since then I have tried to hunt every weekend except a couple when my daughter was in the hospital. She even talked me into hitting the woods one morning and I had a great hunt, shot three arrows at two yotes and a hog and never cut a hair. LOL

This past weekend was the opener for rifle and I hit the woods with both rifle and bow. Luckliy I have the little Ruger Compact and it makes it easy to sit a tree stand with both. Simply hang one or the other and I am ready for anything. I do admit I was holding the bow in hopes of getting a close in shot on a nice buck, but if the right one came in and hung up out of range, I was not going to pass on the chance. I hope to redeam myself with the bow on a big hog and almost had the chance this past weekend but he never worked his way out of the brush, I would have taken him with the rifle had it not been the opener and I was looking for a trophy buck.

The grandson and I hunted our family place on Sunday and he had the chance to take a spike yearling but passed him up in hopes of a more mature one with something better up top. He will turn 7 in a couple of weeks and it does me good to see him thinking the way he does about the deer and hunting in general. He will be a good hunter in the coming years provided the laws and Constitution remain intact. Course that is discuaaion for another thread.

Good luck to you all on your outings.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.