Well I took the leap....

41mag

Well way back when I was in my late teens I took up shooting a bow in order to capitalize on the no special tag requirement for does in the county our farm is in. After months of practice with some model of a borrowed Bear compound I had my groups down to around 3" at 30yds. This was using fingers for release, the arrow for sights, and the latest and greatest bulk aluminum arrows and three for less than $10 Wasp broadheads. :D All this practice and work went into one month of watching deer travel across an open pasture 200yds from where I had set up my stand and pretty much decided my preference for arming myself to go to the field.

So now some thirty years later, I have reevaluated my hunting and for lack of a better reason hunting with my friends who all bow hunt, purchased my own new compound. Last Friday I pcked up a Bowtech Tomcat as it offered the most bang for my buck, which at this point in time is pretty much a must. I added some of the less expensive carbon arrows and a nice release. After setting it up and making a few shots with both the range arrows and my new ones, I am off and running. I shot a few groups over the weekend and hopefully in a few months will be gaining on things. This past Sunday I shot the following group at 20yds, which for me after all these years I figure isn't so bad.
P1010001.jpg

P1010003.jpg

On Monday I was running a few across the chrono and managed to put this group down range,
P1010006.jpg

P1010008.jpg

I know they are a bit spread out but with the 15-20mho cross wind I had I thought it was fair.

I have since replaced the biskit rest with a Drop Zone and will be tuning it up today along with a few better arrows I figure my groups should shrink a bit.

For the most part I can generally hit the ends of those ear plugs around 4 out of twenty shots now, and catch the edges a bit more often. Hopefully the better arrows and rest will improve on this and my range as well.

Stop shooting groups!! This is going to become real expensive in a hurry. I picked up a new bow after ten years of not shooting. The second time I took my new bow out, I shot off 2 fletchings and robin-hooded a Full Metal Jacket. No more group shooting for me! Looks like you got yours dialed in good. Have fun with it.

Well I hit the bow shop first thing this morning and had them adjust the rest along with the peep and get it all tied in for me. Then headed back and shot a few to verify the zero before heading home. Unfortunately, they were out of everything I was wanting to get, and even the ones I already had. They had some stuff for light weight pulls but nothing in the 60 - 70# range.

Your right on the groups, I have only done that twice and both times ruined an arrow. I haven't managed to robin hood any yet but have split the end on one and broke the knock on another. While at the shop this morning they told me about a fellow who came in and had a new sight put on. Afterwards he went back into the range and proceeded to shoot two robin hood in 5 shots all using the FMJ's. They said they were considering a waiver against any sight work resulting in losses of expensive arrows.:D:D I would have figured that after the first I would have called it done.

Yep, you get kind of excited shooting groups until you here that distinct sound of $20 being split. We had a steel pig target with about a 3" hole in it we would shoot sometimes. That target would really make you aim because if you missed, you just smoked another arrow.

Good to hear you're back at it. The new technology definetly comes at a price and destroying a couple $10 arrows doesn't help the budget. It looks like you'll probably be doing that in no time.

re the leep

nice shooting and no sh*! at 20.00 a crack I havent done a robinhood yet but have tooken fletching off thats no big deal just glue a new 1 on hitting the arrow thats a bit driferent I just got new bow this year after 20 somthing years of pawn shops and bowmarts got a MATHEWS (hehe) when it gets down to it just refinance the house sell the womans car not the truck I need that your dauters collage fund not the sons the girl can just mary in to it maby the boat can go do what ever.JUST BUY THE BEST I like your range to looks like mine I got 40 yards

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.