weight of your pack rifle?

I am a sheep hunted myself and have settled with a takedown rifle. When it is wet, I put the whole thing in a dry pack.
The rifle is around 7 lbs or so.

Snowy Mountain custom .300win and 24" proof, with Atacr (just switched to 42mm from 56mm to save weight)
Empty mag and no bipod @ 9.02 lbs.
Could obviously save a bunch by givin up the NF, but I'd leave my sleeping bag at home before i did that!:)

Thank you, Those are factory Kimber Montana Stocks with a High Comb added

Who added the high comb or how was it done? I have a Kimber Montana in 308 that I will eventually re barrel and it could use a higher cheek rest. It currently has an Eagle Industries stock pack on, but this looks cleaner, lighter, and more comfortable.

So far I don't see any rifles here in the new Hornady 6.5 PRC. But then, as I said, it's new.

My .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker is relatively light at 9 lbs. 9 oz. with old Burris black Diamond scope and rings. It's my "bull elk" rifle... should I ever score a tag for one here in Nevada.

Both my X-Bolt and A-Bolt rifles have excellent accuracy until the barrels heat up at around 5 - 8 rounds. But hey, they're hunting rifles and hopefully I won't need more than 2 shots maximum.

Eric B.
UPDATE: I see that Browning is making an X-Bolt Pro in 6.5 PRC. I've got an order in with a local store. Yeah, I'm an X-Bolt Pro supporter.

Last edited:
So far I don't see any rifles here in the new Hornady 6.5 PRC. But then, as I said, it's new.

My .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker is relatively light at 9 lbs. 9 oz. with old Burris black Diamond scope and rings. It's my "bull elk" rifle... should I ever score a tag for one here in Nevada.

Both my X-Bolt and A-Bolt rifles have excellent accuracy until the barrels heat up at around 5 - 8 rounds. But hey, they're hunting rifles and hopefully I won't need more than 2 shots maximum.

Eric B.

Here you go. Here's mine for sheep, goat, and mule deer.

APR 6.5 PRC
8 Lbs. as pictured

Weatherby Fan,

What stock is that, or who modified the factory stock? I like that design for a lightweight rifle that is going to recoil.... I have a 84M in 308 with a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10.

Weatherby Fan,

What stock is that, or who modified the factory stock? I like that design for a lightweight rifle that is going to recoil.... I have a 84M in 308 with a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10.

They are factory Kimber Montana Stocks that he alters with a palm swell, high comb and or a cheekpiece then paints them to our desired colours,
My Gunsmith Gary Flach of Langley British Columbia does all the stock work.

Last edited:
Well, I'm selling my 6.5 CM Browning X-Bolt Pro and getting the same thing in 6.5 PRC.
Doing that will add 2" to the barrel length and 3 ounces to the total rifle weight. So 6 lbs., 4 oz., still mountain rifle weight.

I won't need a .300 Win mag for elk within 500 yards with the 6.5 PRC so I'm also selling my .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt a well.

Eric B.

I carry a Cooper 92 in 280 AI, its currently waiting on an NX8 4-32x50, will be in Talley LW rings, has a KDC bipod stud on it, and with 3 rounds in the mag it should be an ounce or two below 8 lbs.

Kimberman, Nice rifles! What are the scopes?

UPDATE: Just ordered a SIG Tango 6 in 3 - 18 X 44 W/mil/mil turrets & reticle (regular reticle, not Xmas tree).

OK, it's a bit of an anchor at 37 oz. but it has Level-Plex reticle digital leveling which I really wanted and lighted reticle. Unfortunately it will not wipe my nose. That's for a future SIG scope. Anyhow, I'll just have to take 9 oz. off my spare tire to compensate for the extra weight. :rolleyes:
I guess that 43 mm tube and bigger glass adds weight. It's a shorter scope at 12.3" which also requires more lenses to bend the light more in a short tube. Again, more weight.

The SIG Tango 6 with the new Browning X-bolt Pro in 6.5 PRC should be a very good combo for longer range western hunting.

I wanted the MARCH 3-24 x 42 but the price was just too high to justify it.
The Vortex Razor 6 - 24 x 50 didn't have the reticles I liked and it was also too pricey.
The Bushnell LRTSi 4.5 - 18 x 44 was the closest to the SIG within my budget and a good buy. If for some reason I don't like the SIG I'll get the LRTSi.

Eric B.

4A059038-DDF0-4730-A8B1-22DC006460AB.jpeg Update: 338wm Savage110 BrushHunter with 20" barrel

Getting solid groups at 100meters with 236gr Hammer Hunters @ 2660fps
and
270eldX @ 2510fps

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.