weight of your pack rifle?

Now I know what mine weighs, same rifle

I have the same rifle/caliber. Just wondering what gains you got when switching to the edge?
Probably dropped 6oz. Does it make that big of a difference, probably not however what I did gain is a very nice, good feeling and fit stock from a reputable company. With all the lightweight rifles available today I feel the tikka is the best bang for your buck, and honestly it's certainly not going to make it worse by dropping it into a high end stock. I only own two bolt action rifles....the T3x in 300wm and an older T3 in 7mm08. Both shoot lights out. Both factory stocks work perfectly. The tikkas have everything I want in a rifle with the smoothest action I've ever used personally. That said I made the decision to drop both rifles in upgraded stocks because really there isn't much to improve on these rifles imho and I have no plans of ever selling them. I have a wildcat composites stock that's due to land Wednesday. It's supposed to be even lighter than the McMillan....from there I'll decide which rifle wears what stock. These are good problems to have. Ha! For me that 7-7.5#rifle (scoped) is about the perfect weight to make hits at 5-600 yards but still light enough to consider it a backpack rifle.

I believe the ideal rifle is around 8.5 lbs with a good stock. Heavy enough to shopt long range and light enough to carry. I've got a 7 lb rifle and it's a bitch to shoot as tight as my 8.5

I am working loads up on a new Savage110 Brushhunter 338wm with threaded 20" barrel. Topped w/ a Vortex Razor 3-15x42
and open sights for back up. It's coming in at 8.5lbs. It's a pound heavier than my goal but the 20" tube is really handy to carry. Felt Recoil is minimal and I know it's got enough horse power to handle anything I want to hunt inside 800yds

Tikka ultra lite in 30-06 or T3 in 6.5x55 works for me. Accurate enough for a 1000 yard shot and lite enough to add a Harris bi-pod. The old Ruger 77 in 7 mag used to work fine but age has me liking Tikka

I just purchased a new rifle setup and am still waiting for it to come in. It will be a Browning X-Bolt Stalker that comes in at 7.5lbs. With the scope and bases it will come it around 9lbs. I will use this rifle for deer and elk and with it being in 7mm Rem Mag the extra weight will help some with the recoil.

8 Lbs (With accessories and Scope)

Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness, .30-06 or 270 (I have one of each). The rifles by themselves are right at the advertised 6.5 lbs.

Lightweight Talley Rings, Leupold 3-10x50, and a sling and ammo round out the 8 Lbs. package.

13.5 pounds here. That's with a 24" barrel. I'll be dropping weight soon, going with a 18.5" magnum profile.

I think my lightest is a few oz over 8 lbs. most of my pack guns are still around 14 to 16 lbs. it just doesn't bother me.

Proof Summit in 6.5 PRC with 20" barrel just for shooting suppressed. Could get it lighter, but the MK5 HD 3.6-18 works SO well on it so far. are taken to 475 and 505 so far.

If I went to a Mk6HD 3-18 I could easily go sub 8 with this one.

I like it where it is.
IMG_2143.jpg

There are 3 pack rifles I lug around the mountains depending on what I'm hunting or anticipated distance I'll have a shot, and they are:

Barret Fieldcraft in 30-06: 7lbs on the nose with scope (VX5 3-15) rings and fully loaded - amazing combo and my new "go-to"

Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300 RUM: 8.5lbs with everything (relatively heavy Sig Sauer 5-25 scope doesn't help but great for reaching out and touching something)

Model 70 Extreme SS in 338 Win: Smidge over 9lbs total with clunky Eliminator III scope

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.