weight of your pack rifle?

View attachment 138083 Update: 338wm Savage110 BrushHunter with 20" barrel

Getting solid groups at 100meters with 236gr Hammer Hunters @ 2660fps
and
270eldX @ 2510fps

If memory serves me correctly total weight with 3-15x42 RazorHD LH, back up "open sights", bipod, sling and loaded magazine weighs
9lbs 13oz

I've also lost 14lbs from myself compared to last season!

Well, I took delivery on my SIG Tango 6 in 3-18 x 44 scope today.
-> 34 mm main tube
-> mil/mil turrets & reticle, illuminated
-> left side parallax & illumination knob
-> Level-Plex horizontal reticle lighted level indicators
-> 37.7 oz.!

So yeah, it is a boat anchor and the nice Level-Plex reticle feature dims a bit with that weight in a light 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro (6 lbs. 3 0z.)

I really wonder if i should keep it. The illuminated reticle is really nice and the glass is **** good, maybe not ED quality but very close for these geezer eyes.

Ah, decisions, decisions.
The next closest scope within my budget is the Bushnell LRTS, 4.5 - 18 x 44 at 28 oz. for the illuminated model. Also very good glass.
It has a 30 mm main tube and is 2 inches longer at 14" than my SIG but that means it needs fewer lenses to bend the light thus making it lighter. Fewer lenses in this situation is not bad, just a product of the physics of optics. Ya want a shorter scope? Then ya gotta have more lenses for equal optical quality.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Well, I took delivery on my SIG Tango 6 in 3-18 x 44 scope today.
-> 34 mm main tube
-> mil/mil turrets & reticle, illuminated
-> left side parallax & illumination knob
-> Level-Plex horizontal reticle lighted level indicators
-> 37.7 oz.!

So yeah, it is a boat anchor and the nice Level-Plex reticle feature dims a bit with that weight in a light 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro (6 lbs. 3 0z.)

I really wonder if i should keep it. The illuminated reticle is really nice and the glass is ---- good, maybe not ED quality but very close for these geezer eyes.

Ah, decisions, decisions.
The next closest scope within my budget is the Bushnell LRTS, 4.5 - 18 x 44 at 28 oz. for the illuminated model. Also very good glass.
It has a 30 mm main tube and is 2 inches longer at 14" than my SIG but that means it needs fewer lenses to bend the light thus making it lighter. Fewer lenses in this situation is not bad, just a product of the physics of optics. Ya want a shorter scope? Then ya gotta have more lenses for equal optical quality.

Eric B.

Those Sigs are way cheaper in the states than here in canada, you could get a vx6hd with the level plex in canada for same price or cheaper than the sig and come in at 19 OZ instead of 37.7. i would look at the VX6HD's for sure if you dont mind not having FFP

yes, a heavier rifle to me is easier to shoot.

how far are you wanting to be effective to and what is it chambered in?

since you posted in the long range section, i would assume long range, i would think a gun around 10lbs would fit the bill, enough weight to shoot but wont be too much to carry. getting a good pack with a rifle carrier helps alot

The rifle is a new Browning 6.5 PRC X-Bolt Pro, their lightest rifle with fluted barrel, bolt and bolt handle, carbon fiber stock and 6 lbs. 3 oz. so why put that beautiful but too heavy SIG Tango 6 on it? Actually haven't taken delivery on the rifle yet B/C it won't be in-country until August.
** As soon as I get it I'm selling my 6.5 Creedmoor X-Bolt Pro. With ELD-X ammo I get 1/2 MOA regularly (1st 5 shots, before the barrel heats up to a one MOA spread).

Instead I'm mailing the SIG Tango 6 back Tuesday and I already ordered the Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 at 28 oz. (illuminated model). Both are from Optics Planet.

Why a lighter scope? Because I'm over 70 and live in Nevada (nevada = mountains in Spanish). And because I am putting it on a light rifle as well. I may be old but I ain't stupid enough to carry extra weight in the mountains. Yeah, I'm still fit enough for backpack hunting but again, I ain't stupid. And that geezerhood is another reason I'm looking hard at an electric hunting bike for myself in a year or two.

Eric B.

All of my hunting rifles are in the 10-12 pound range 'all done up'. But all my rifles have bipods & slings, and most have stock packs. So rifle + scope would be in the 9 - 11 pound range.

If weight is keeping you from getting out because of age/disability/other, then absolutely cut weight to get out. For me, I'm still young-ish, and I've yet to have a problem carry a 12-pound gun in the mountains.....but I have a lot of off-season training lugging around kiddos.

I've been playing around with starting a titanium/carbon build, but that's only because I like heavy scopes and using suppressors, so the net weight would still be ~ 10 pounds.

scant 13#s. no alot of stock options for a custom 7mm WSM on a Yugo 48 action. So Laminate it is :)

What weight do you look for when you choose a rifle for backpack hunting.

Lets look at scoped, stocked and unloaded(no ammo) for comparison sake.

I know everyone has opinions on accessories like bi-pod and slings but those can easily be attached so lets look at just the rifle weight.

Whats your ideal weight for carry?
James

Mine is a 338 RCM that weighs just under 7 pounds fully dressed and loaded. The action is a Model 7 Remington The barrel is a short #4 contour (Because of the bore) and I feel very comfortable with using it on and north american game.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
dang, I thought I was going light with my carbon 28 nosler. it coming in at 10lbs

I like to shoot heavier guns but I like to carry lighter guns. Best balance for me is somewhere in the 7.5-8.5 pound range

That seems to be the point when people start feeling the gun weight after some time. 8.5+ and I start to feel it after a 3 hour hike, less than that it doesn't seem to be an issue. Part of the reason I traded off a Savage 14 in 300wsm, with a 1 pound scope on it and rounds in magazine it was a pain to carry after a while. It just seems to be noticeable much more. Plus it kicked pretty hard too.

Weatherby back country ti 7 rem mag(Rebarreled 300wby mag) ZIESS scope
Tally rings /bases, /sling 8 pound

Winchester model 70 7rm w/scope/rings =9 LBS

Wife's Cooper 92 back country 7wby mag
With scope/ rings bases 7 3/4 pounds

Last edited by a moderator:
I just sold my heavy to me 14# hunting rifle. I am going to a Seekins 28 Nosler 6.9 lbs plus my 25 OZ Leupold VX 6. Going to be so nice to be about 8.5 with everything.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.