weight of your pack rifle?

Longshotjames

What weight do you look for when you choose a rifle for backpack hunting.

Lets look at scoped, stocked and unloaded(no ammo) for comparison sake.

I know everyone has opinions on accessories like bi-pod and slings but those can easily be attached so lets look at just the rifle weight.

Whats your ideal weight for carry?
James

Weatherby Fan

I have had a bunch of ultralight and lightweight rifles built and I find a scoped rifle of
6 to 6.5 lbs with a 22" barrel seems to be the most practical from a backpackers perspective.
What I want is an all Stainless rifle as Sheep hunting in Northern BC can be a very wet miserable outing.
I have had built and donate an UltraLight Rifle each year to the Wild Sheep Society of BC and usually use a Kimber Montana 84M or 84L donor rifle and add a #1 Benchmark Contour barrel, this years(2019) rifle will be a 6.5-284 built on a Kimber Montana 84L.

I use a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 CDS 30mm and Talley lightweights for my examples as this adds 1lb to your build and is a great compromise in a Lightweight/Longrange scope.

this is how I breakdown my goal weights when building UL rifles

Ultra Lightweight 5-6lbs scoped
Lightweight. 6-7.5lbs scoped
Standard. 7.5-9.5 scoped

here's a Cpl pictures of my own hunting rifle, Kimber Montana 84M 6.5-284 5Lbs with no scope and 6.5lbs with the Zeiss on it, this is my everyday sheep and deer hunting rifle

here's the 6.5 Creedmoor we donated last year at 6 Lbs scoped

Last edited:

hunter67wa

Mine is a Kimber 84m 6.5 creed. Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15, Talley one piece, and loaded with ammo 7.5lbs

hunter67wa

I will buy one again. So far I like it very much its been repeatable and pretty good glass through one hunting season so far.

Weatherby Fan

Both my Nephews have 280AI built on Remington 700 actions with 26" #1 contour Benchmarks, one has a bit more metal work and a Wildcat stock and is 6lbs the other has a McMillan Hunter Edge stock and it weighs 6lbs 6.5oz, bare rifle weight.

Myself I don't like backpacking with a 26" barrel but its all personal preference.

Guy M

Never weighed it. Just use my normal hunting rifles. Figure I'm better off losing 10 pounds before the hunt, than trying to whittle away a couple of pounds from a rifle.

In the photo, I'm carrying my 25-06 700 CDL with a 6x Leupold. That and the near twin 30-06 version are the rifles I hunt with mostly. Good general-purpose rifles. Not ultra-lights, not porky either.

Regards, Guy

Rifleman513

I like to keep it 7lbs or less. Most of my long range guns are 11+ and I still carry them plenty of miles each season. Grabbing one that is sub 7lbs makes it seems even that much lighter. My preferred is a Montana in 280ai w/ a NF 2.5-10 that weighs in at 6.8 lbs.

Yotekiller

14 lbs. I am far more accurate with my heavy guns than my light ones. No where is accuracy more important to me than when hunting. I confidently make shots with my heavier guns that I would not take with a sub 8 lb gun. Some of these internet heroes make it sound like shooting 6 lb guns 1 moa to 1000 yards is easy. I have not met anyone yet who has been able to show me that ability. I'm sure they exist but they are not common.

jmcmath

Carried a BAR @ 9lb 6 ounces for years. New build is 10lb 4 ounces. Had a Ruger that was about 7 for a year and didn’t really see what all the fuss was about. It’s yet to be a real burden for me, I’d rather cut weight in other places.
Might change once I get old!

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce