Weight comparison

frostop

I own a couple of Ruger M77 MkII one 30.06 and another in .338 Jamison, both currently have Hogue stocks that I would like to replace with something more consistent. I would love to just get a couple of HS Precision stocks but the cost is a little steep so I am considering Boyds laminate.

I would love to hear some pros and cons of each, weight comparisons etc.

The 30.06 is my woods rifle that I would like to stretch out to 500yds if needed and keep somewhat light weight, the .338 is limited in coal so Not sure where I am going to go with it. I have thought about repurposing the barrel for a 338 norma, haven't looked at the dimensions etc. to see it that is possible or not??

Frosty, I've bedded quite a few Boyd's stocks and my impression is they are very strong, look good and are very affordable. The inletting needs to be checked and all needed bedding. There are several styles and they are about $300 less than a HS. Having said all this, I have HS and B&C on my own rifles since they came with them from the factory. All the Boyd's I've done were for my son's friends who wanted a good but economical stock to replace the plastic Tupperware they came with and the accuracy was improved on all. If you don't want to spend a lot, the Boyd's is a good pick. Good luck

My first suggestions would be McMillan or Precision Rifle Stocks from here in Texas but if the HS is out of your budget they are as well.

I have a number of laminate stocks on factory rifles and really like them. I also have several outfitted with aftermarket laminates as well that I'm quite happy with.

http://gunstockinletting.com/

US Gun Stocks in California is definitely a step up from the Boyd's but the price is more affordable than the above mentioned stocks.

They will also custom fit it for you if you're not up to doing it for yourself.

My main concern is the weight, Is there a big difference weight wise, laminate compared to HS or alike?

I was thinking HS because of the full length aluminum bedding block since the Ruger action seams to have some flex in it and it seams if machined properly the bedding block would add some stiffness? The Hogue is flexy to say the least! The ones that I have are the pillar bedded ones which I have had to bedded to get a Minute of angle out of them.

I am open to any and all suggestions, am I better off with Laminate or a good Plastic??:D

My main concern is the weight, Is there a big difference weight wise, laminate compared to HS or alike?

I was thinking HS because of the full length aluminum bedding block since the Ruger action seams to have some flex in it and it seams if machined properly the bedding block would add some stiffness? The Hogue is flexy to say the least! The ones that I have are the pillar bedded ones which I have had to bedded to get a Minute of angle out of them.

I am open to any and all suggestions, am I better off with Laminate or a good Plastic??:D
I haven't weighed them but I don't see any weight difference in my laminates vs my H-S precision stocks.

As for the full length bedding block it may or may not make any difference but I doubt that you'd ever notice any difference between a stock with it vs a laminate that is pillar bedded.

Laminates don't move like real wood because they are infused with epoxy under extremely high pressures.

Thank you everyone for the replies, very helpful as always.

The 30.06 is never going to be 1000 yd gun and just can't justify putting that much money into a Ruger.

Thanks Again
Gary:D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.