Weatherby Vanguard

I think I would strongly look at a Vanguard over any other rifle but a Mark V. They incorporate a couple features and specifications not found on a regular Howa. They are proprietary to the Vanguard. They now have fully adjustable triggers and some have pillar bedded stocks.
<font color="blue">"The action incorporates many features of the Weatherby Mark V® action. For example, the one-piece forged, fluted bolt has three ports that allow high-pressure gases to escape in the event of an accidental case rupture. The bolt sleeve completely enshrouds the rear of the action to provide protection from high-pressure gases and brass particles, should the case rupture."
"Weatherby guarantees its new Vanguard® SUB-MOA hunting rifle to shoot a three-shot group of .99 inch or less at 100 yards when used with specific Weatherby factory or premium (non-Weatherby calibers) ammunition."</font>
vgd_submoa_stainless.gif

You can read more about the differences here.
http://www.weatherby.com/products/guns.asp?prd=Rifles&amp;prd_sub_type=3&amp;prod_code=VMM223RR4O#
and here.
http://www.weatherby.com/products/products.asp?prd=Rifles&amp;prd_type=1&amp;prd_sub_type=3

[ QUOTE ]
"THE VANGUARD IS STRONGER THAN THE MARK V".

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh man, just when you think you've heard it all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

The Vanguards are cheap pieces of junk from my experiences w/ them. I shot one in 270 win last year that was very inaccurate. The Vanguards look cheap, feel cheap, and from what I've seen on paper, I will not be owning one any time soon. Weatherby should be ashamed from putting their name on such a rifle.

If you want an inexpensive rifle that flat out shoots, get a Savage.

Reloader

The Vanguard is the best rifle in the weathrby line IMHO. they are better out the box than aremmy 700 of a winnie 70. if you don't like a savage, the vanguard(or howa 1500, colt, or RWS 89) can make a nice rifle. I like em, ive owned em and they are accurate.
Pete

[ QUOTE ]
The Vanguard is the best rifle in the weathrby line IMHO. they are better out the box than aremmy 700 of a winnie 70. if you don't like a savage, the vanguard(or howa 1500, colt, or RWS 89) can make a nice rifle. I like em, ive owned em and they are accurate.
Pete

[/ QUOTE ] Pete: Over the years I have enjoyed showing the know nothing Wby. owners of the Mark V how little the much vaunted Mark V has for lug engagement. a clean bolt and lug recesses, some lay out fluid on the lugs = sick look on faces,PRICELESS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a 95 5.0 @ 300 Hp and a 74 Vette @ 430 hp. The vette is a *** but my son loves it. He can have it as long as I got my Stang.

With a Mark V,I have totally melted primers, blown case heads off, seen fire come out the holes in the bolt, had to use a hammer to open the bolt on several occaisons but still have all of my fingers and all of my eyes. And the gun would still shot sub MOA when I had enough sense to load bullets properly. I am still grieving over it being stolen 20 years ago. That gun was good to me. I no longer have a Mark V but still have a fondness for them.

I have no doubt that all of the lugs do not engage when you close the bolt. That does not mean that it is not a fine gun and that when you are young and stupid and drink too much Boones Farm Strawberry Hill while loading bullet that the gun will not absorb the bad things that happen and still shoot. Nine lugs held every time I needed them to.

You don't have to drive a good Ford mustang if you don't like them, you can drive a *** vette if you prefer.

I saw a Weatherby Vanguard at Wally World for $366.00. I've had to reform my previous ways (I'm broke - except for a little room on my plastic), and wondered it that was a decent rifle for that price. Black synthetic stock, blued/black barrel in 7mm remington mag.

i have the vangard 2 in 300 win mag out of the box to the range we go first 6 shot the first one scared me lol 2 lbs trigger the next 5 rounds were in a 7/8 hole good gun

My hunting buddy bought one 4 years ago, much to my opposition. Anyway, he purchased 6 different brands of factory ammo and found some Federal Premium 300 WinMag that it likes...keeping 5 shoots well within an inch at 100 yards...and matching his scope hash marks on his Burris out to 500 yards perfectly. I couldn't believe that he bought the rifle on the way to the range, tossed the scope on it, and in 1 hour was totally setup for hunting. Since then he has successfully bagged is buck/elk in Colorado every year, with one of his shots beyond 400 yards, and every year in freezing sloppy weather (or colder) during the 2nd rifle season at the end of October above 10,000ft. I couldn't ask any more from my custom rifles.

Last edited:
To the original poster....Mag dude..... I owned a 257 weatherby in the vanguard a while back. I liked the rifle a lot but cam to relize the 257 did not have any good bullets for long range. Now for as how it preformed was great for a factory rifle. It shot .7 to .75 inch 100yrd groups with the factory weatherby 115 ballistic tip ammo. It shot .75 with the 120 grain ammo all factory weatherby ammo. Only down fall was the cost of the ammo. I tried reloading it and the 257 seemed to be a little picky and I never could get the velocity that the factory stuff produced. I did get it down to .5 inches with some hand loads that were slowed down. The working of the action was always smooth and it seem to be a very straight forward gun. It was the Sub MOA version stainless. I have also seen the black standard weatherby rifles shoot sub MOA as well with load work up. This was in a 300 win and a 300 weatherby. I tool a antelope with mine at 498 yards one shot kill. I tool another at 250 the day before same one shot kill. If its what you can afford to start off with and get into reloading or hunting its a ok gun that should do the job for average distances and average hunting. If your looking at long range stuff then you could have the action trued later when funds allow and restock, and rebarrel. But by then you may want to go with something different. I know here in Utah its had to find a smith that will even look at a savage. if it isn't Remington then they don't like it in there shop. I was told that by 2 the rest just said we really don't service savages. One went as fare to tell me it like a disease to other rifles in his shop. That being said I do own a Remington Sendero and a savage. The savage is stock the Remington has had some beading and trigger work done along with a break. Both are a pleasure to shoot. I also might pick up another one of those 7mm rem mag rigs in the newer style vanguard since I have the reloading stuff already.

I picked up a Howa 1500 in 300 WM that had a broken stock from being slammed in the tailgate of a truck for $150. I bedded the action, replaced the stock, and adjusted the trigger pull. It took about 100 test rounds to find a load it liked but now it shoots a .650 group at 100 yards. A week and a half ago she made her first kill with a shot to the vitals on an elk at 500 yards. I have a couple friends who have the Howa 1500 in other calibers and they love them as well. One thing I found is that groups will open up quite a bit when the barrel heats up. If it were a bench gun I would have a big problem with that, but being a hunting gun it's only a problem when working up loads in warm weather, which I'm done with. I've read that it isn't uncommon for people to shoot sub MOA with factory ammo right out of the box, but I wouldn't expect that to be the case.

My opinion is that it's well worth the money. If like me you hunt urged country and have a tendency to be a bit clumsy this is a great gun. It doesn't hurt near as much to put a scratch in it as is does when I scratch up other guns. Or if you have limited finances this is a great gun. I highly suggest bedding at least the recoil lug and adjusting the trigger pull before taking it to the range for the first time. Both are very easy to do.

Holy cow! You guys have beat this to death but I have to chime in! The only Vanguard I ever shot was chambered in 30-06. There was no recoil & the **** thing drove nails. That's all!
Thanks, kirk

lightbulbI hope after 10+ years that the OP had it figured out!lightbulb

I read the thread up to your post, and there were some flat stupid posts made. "A Vanguard is stronger than a MK.V."?????? A first year engineering student will figure that one out with his eyes let alone measurements.
gary

I love my .243 Vanguard. If it's a series 2 model (assume it is since its new) I would consider it. I wouldn't buy the series 1 models. If you wait until Christmas season, box stores typically have great deals on savages and 700's. That being said, only weatherby has an accuracy guarantee. I don't have any loyalty when it comes to the low end off self guns. Some shoot great, and some don't. Crap shoot in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.