Weatherby Mark V Receiver removal

If all else fails cut it off just in front of the receiver ring then bore out stub..This last ditch method is used if the threads are severely galled..

But a relief cut just in front of the receiver works, never seen it fail.. Get as close to the receiver as you can with the parting tool.. .010-.020 should be good.

Trying to save the barrel? Cut the relief groove if not. If trying to save it, then I think that Shortgrass has the answer. Or at least his answer matches my experience on other things like this that are not specifically a barreled action. A good fit of both the external action wrench and the barrel vise is an absolute requirement, as it the vise being *tight*. Then either shock it (think big hammer applied like you mean it to the tensioned wrench) or a really long cheater. I personally think that shock will loosen things w/o damaging them where a long cheater might get them loose, but the damage risk is much higher.

Hello all Smith's.

I am a machinist/ gunsmith by trade, and have run into a situation with a Weatherby Mark V receiver.

Made in Paso Robles- I can't seem to get this receiver to budge!

I have tried heat, and put it in a 20 to press, freezing the barrel, Kroil soak for several days- this thing is NOT moving!

NEVER had this happen before.

Anyone have any good suggestions that has experience with these??
Hi there is no secret way just good fitting solid tools that don't spring on the bench they are mounted to, for removing a tight barrel/action a hit with a heavy hammer on the arm of the tool is better than a 6 foot cheater bar. Also too much clamping pressure on the receiver tool will crush the receiver ring onto the barrel threads and jam them even tighter. A good solid setup mounted on a heavy steel bench will always work even on locktited threads without heat, remember locktite is just a plastic compound filling the gaps in threads once sheared it actually turns to a powder or heated to 350-400 degrees returns it back to a fluid state.

As a owner of Three Weatherby Mark V rifles ( one is a 6 lug Ultralight ) this is VERY interesting!! Paying strict attention!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.