We are the black sheep, The red headed step child.

gohring3006

I just got the latest Rifle magazine. And yet another article smearing long range hunters and our over bore, over weight rifles and scopes. I don't see us getting any love for our passion. I won't be renewing my subscription. I'm tired of it!!!!
Thank god for this forum...

Who cares. Just go out and get your one shot 700 yard kill while the Elmer fudds gut shoot game at 70 yards with their 30-30.
The fact is, those who know nothing about long range shooting from supported positions with rangefinders and ballistic computers don't understand that those who do are more accurate at ten times the range as the guy shooting offhand with his 30-06 with the single box of ammo that has lasted him 6 years.
Modern scopes, ballistic apps, and laser rangefinders have made shots routine that a few decades ago were simply fantastic pieces of luck.
Some of these mouth breathers believe that just because they can't do it nobody can do it.
I'd rather stand in front of these guys at 150 yards than the members of this site at 800.

It's annoying for sure, but success is the best revenge. Keep on keeping on guys.

Who cares. Just go out and get your one shot 700 yard kill while the Elmer fudds gut shoot game at 70 yards with their 30-30.
The fact is, those who know nothing about long range shooting from supported positions with rangefinders and ballistic computers don't understand that those who do are more accurate at ten times the range as the guy shooting offhand with his 30-06 with the single box of ammo that has lasted him 6 years.
Modern scopes, ballistic apps, and laser rangefinders have made shots routine that a few decades ago were simply fantastic pieces of luck.
Some of these mouth breathers believe that just because they can't do it nobody can do it.
I'd rather stand in front of these guys at 150 yards than the members of this site at 800.

It's annoying for sure, but success is the best revenge. Keep on keeping on guys.
"Amen"

This will always be the case when someone does something new/different.

When I started bow hunting everyone was using the long bow or the Recurve and compounds were looked down on because of there extended range,

I have hunted with everything but a spear or a rock and at some point I wanted more of a challenge
and I feel that Long range is that challenge.

After siting in a stand with a rifle capable of any normal distance, It just didn't seam very sporting.
(Another reason I got into bow hunting) I would normally limit my self to 500 to 600 yard shots.

Extending that range seamed to be the next challenge. so hear we are and we are still being looked down on. Mainly because most people cant make long shots so they play the ethical card.

All we can do is try not to exceed our limits and give them fuel tor there opinions about our sport.

The plus side for us is it makes us better shots and at normal distance, deadly.

The plus side for them (Which they will never admit ) is the improvement in firearms and ammo
that we have brought about because of the demands for quality systems required for long range hunting.

If It weren't for guys like LEN and this site, we would still be slugging it out by ourselves with little or no support.

Thanks to all that contribute to our sport and knowledge.

J E CUSTOM

I just got the latest Rifle magazine. And yet another article smearing long range hunters and our over bore, over weight rifles and scopes. I don't see us getting any love for our passion. I won't be renewing my subscription. I'm tired of it!!!!
Thank god for this forum...
It's simple. Because "they" can't shoot well enough. We can hit they vitals at distances past 1000 yards. "They" can hit vitals at maybe 300 yards.

To keep pride: men who can't do, will disrespect the accomplishments of other men. That kind of pride is a mistress of the self.

This will always be the case when someone does something new/different.

When I started bow hunting everyone was using the long bow or the Recurve and compounds were looked down on because of there extended range,

I have hunted with everything but a spear or a rock and at some point I wanted more of a challenge
and I feel that Long range is that challenge.

After siting in a stand with a rifle capable of any normal distance, It just didn't seam very sporting.
(Another reason I got into bow hunting) I would normally limit my self to 500 to 600 yard shots.

Extending that range seamed to be the next challenge. so hear we are and we are still being looked down on. Mainly because most people cant make long shots so they play the ethical card.

All we can do is try not to exceed our limits and give them fuel tor there opinions about our sport.

The plus side for us is it makes us better shots and at normal distance, deadly.

The plus side for them (Which they will never admit ) is the improvement in firearms and ammo
that we have brought about because of the demands for quality systems required for long range hunting.

If It weren't for guys like LEN and this site, we would still be slugging it out by ourselves with little or no support.

Thanks to all that contribute to our sport and knowledge.

J E CUSTOM
Well said Jerry,
I want to say Merry Christmas to you and hope all is well with your family.
Its funny but I went to long range with rifles to challenge myself more.
And I have a Mathews, Martin and PSE compound bows and when I go bow hunting anymore I find myself grabbing my 1950's York or Ben Pearson recurves. I'm after the challenge IF I can do so effectively. I believe if you have the tools and skill then you can shoot as far as you want...

Everything that was said here is true.
BUT we have to be careful of our own people. When we tried to break the longrange pd record at 3140 yds and also go for a 2 mile (3520 yds) kill people HERE on this site called us liars and called bullsh&t on us. Said you can't see a dog at that distance and what ever else. 3 days a year and a 2600 mile round trip we didn't make the record but we did have a confirmed kill at 2218 yds. Like one guy said I would not want to stand at the 2 mile mark because we pounded the mounds at that distance but when it takes slightly over 9 seconds for the bullet to get we just never connected on a pd. Just like everything else people need to stick together just because one cannot do it doesn't mean the next guy can not.

Last edited:
Man... I hear you all. I just really have decided that those that want to sit in judgement, can and will. I just don't want to be like that. just do what you believe is right and don't worry about the nay-sayers. No sense in letting other people's nonsense get you feeling frustrated, but certainly, you don't have to pay them for their opinion either.

I have been a hunters safety instructor and a bowhunting instructor.
I dealt with the same crap that you long rangers are dealing with now.

I have absolutely no problem with the long rangers who are capable and are practiced in their arts, I do have problems with the wannabies who think LR is easy and take shots they are not able to make everytime all the time.

A couple days ago my daughter and I were watching a supposed LR shooter hunting whatever and in the offtime of his big game hunt decided to go out and hunt coyotes.

The scene was a man and his LR capable rifle sat in ambush while a coyote was called in. The shooter procedes to take a shot he couldn't make and shot the muzzle off a coyote and then continued filming the wounded dog while the shooter could not hit the dog again.

This is not the picture that any shooters want to see.

I understand that the target was only a lowly coyote, but, I also have strong feelings that a life not suffer because of my shortcomings.

I can assure the real LRs are seen as the man who shot the coyote.

The real LRs must inform the general public that what you do is not what was shown in the coyote scene.

Yes, the LRs are the black sheep of the hunting scene and it is due to the truth that the standard shooter does not understand the how or why the LRs do what they do.

I think the LRs should look back on the mid 70's and 80's and how the bowhunters gained public support due to the training and proof that bowhunting is quick and clean WHEN DONE RIGHT.

Good luck with your endevors and I will be here to support the LRs when the "Fudds" aren't with you.

I will support you with facts and figures.

I have been a hunters safety instructor and a bowhunting instructor.
I dealt with the same crap that you long rangers are dealing with now.

I have absolutely no problem with the long rangers who are capable and are practiced in their arts, I do have problems with the wannabies who think LR is easy and take shots they are not able to make everytime all the time.

A couple days ago my daughter and I were watching a supposed LR shooter hunting whatever and in the offtime of his big game hunt decided to go out and hunt coyotes.

The scene was a man and his LR capable rifle sat in ambush while a coyote was called in. The shooter procedes to take a shot he couldn't make and shot the muzzle off a coyote and then continued filming the wounded dog while the shooter could not hit the dog again.

This is not the picture that any shooters want to see.

I understand that the target was only a lowly coyote, but, I also have strong feelings that a life not suffer because of my shortcomings.

I can assure the real LRs are seen as the man who shot the coyote.

The real LRs must inform the general public that what you do is not what was shown in the coyote scene.

Yes, the LRs are the black sheep of the hunting scene and it is due to the truth that the standard shooter does not understand the how or why the LRs do what they do.

I think the LRs should look back on the mid 70's and 80's and how the bowhunters gained public support due to the training and proof that bowhunting is quick and clean WHEN DONE RIGHT.

Good luck with your endevors and I will be here to support the LRs when the "Fudds" aren't with you.

I will support you with facts and figures.

Totally agree!
I see part of the problem right here on LRH. A newby comes in with practically no experience, except maybe with rimfires, and wants to become a LR shooter, and asks for some advice on what Rifle to get to move up into the field. Someone or multiple someones will make usually pretty good rifle suggestions and in the next line tell the newby that what they need is the latest version of whatever scope is popular this week in 6-24 x 56 power when the newby hasn't in most cases, even learned the basics yet!

I liken this to taking someone out of a go-kart and dropping him into a Formula 1 race car and telling him to go win the race! I have yet to see someone tell the newby to take the rifle out to the range and learn the rifle. After they have put a couple hundred rds downrange and can hold at least 2 -3 MOA with iron sights at 200 - 300 yds, then move up to a scope. They haven't really learned either the weapon or the basics of shooting let alone LR, or even what round to use, yet go out and maim game all over the place, and the real LR shooters take the hit.

Most of the people here that are good at LRH have several thousand rounds, if not more, downrange and can tell you all the idiosyncrasies of their individual rifles and can pick up another LR rifle and within 5-20 rounds be pretty well comfortable with it and at least hit the target. But, they have the basics down.

I was down at the range the other day, breaking in a Remington 700. Not trying to zero, just pointing it onto the target and pulling the trigger, then cleaning it after it cooled. Kid next to me was getting frustrated because he didn't seem to be able to get the round even close to the center. Shot were all over the place, mostly off the target. During a lull, while everyone else went down to pull or replace their targets casually asked him what he was shooting. He was shooting a .338, had a huge scope on it, I don't know what kind, didn't ask, but later while cooling down my rifle, watched him. Just before firing, he closed his eyes, jerked the trigger and visibly flinched for every round. I tried to help him with the basics, but he had all the answers, just didn't know the questions. He got irritated when I suggested an NRA course and that he might be more comfortable with a smaller caliber so I just packed up and left. Way over rifled and scared of it, but often too typical.

Our next generation of hunter! Never learned the basics, but going out after deer.elk or whatever he could pull a tag for.

I learned to shoot in the military and 30-06, 7.62 x 51 and .556 rounds were all furnished. Must have fired over 10,000 rods before I ever fired a factory load and want to thank all you taxpayers for the experience, and thank a couple of Sgt's that took the time to teach it well.

Packrat

What set-up where you shooting at those ranges? Barrel dimensions, load info, optics and mount, etc.? If you care to share.

When I read this thread I experienced a sense of pride in those members of this forum who speak to the responsible approach to long range hunting, especially when they include stories about the unwashed, untrained shooter who thinks a BIG rifle and BIG scope is going to make him an accomplished long range shooter.
I shoot competition out to 1000 yards. I'm not ashamed of my scores, but I do not consider myself qualified to HUNT beyond 800 yards. I still use the old "if you can't consistently hit an eight inch target at the chosen distance you have no business trying to take game at that distance". I also have learned, as I am certain most of the other experienced LR shooters have, that the shooters world beyond 800 yards is akin to leaving earth's orbit in a spacecraft. The ballistic influences are difficult enough to manage inside 800 yards. Beyond that things can get pretty hairy.
Don't be too hard on the magazine that printed the article that apparently upset you. Opinions are like anatomical orifices. Everyone has one. :)
Aim small, hit small; and FearNoWind!!! just respect it.

Last edited:
By my definition there is a distinct difference between a long range hunter and a person taking a long range shot while hunting. The jest of this topic resides with the later.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.