wc872

I used WC-872 powder in my 7 RUM for a little while, then switched back to Retumbo. I was shooting this gun in the heat of the summer, and found the ball powder too temp sensitive.

I ran a short ladder with the 168 Berger.
Started at 100 gr @ 3369 fps and ended up at 103 gr @ 3550. This was out of a 9 twist 32" bbl. I settled on 102 gr @ 3400 as it gave me .3 to .4 at 100 and better than moa farther on out.

Switched back to Retumbo, 85 gr @ 3350 for better accuracy and less variation in the heat of the summer.

As Joel says it will work but its better with the very heavy bullets such as 175 gr and heavier. Yes it is temp sensitive if you load up to full pressure loads but if you will be using it in relative consistant temps such as only for big game hunting, it would work very well with the heavy 7mm pills if you do not load to red line pressures.

I would agree that Retumbo me be a better choice for most conventional 7mm bullets in the RUM.

Kirby Allen(50)

i used 88 grs of 872 with the 200 wildcats, with 90 starting to make the bolt a little sticky. with the 180 bergers i loaded 99 grs and 101 gave me the sticky bolt. i only shot this in the fall and winter.never shot the gun in the summer.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.