Water damage to powder & primers

wapiti13

Had a small flood in my basement last week & need some advice. "Several" pounds of powder were in the water for several hours and then were exposed to very high humidity as the room dried. Also, primers were never wet, but had the same high humidity exposure. Any comments on status and useability of either would be appreciated. Everything is insured, but need justification to replace. Thanks for any input. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Just had the same thing happen. But i just load some up like normal all shot the same but havnt tried all the diff ones yet only a few loads i did this time so think they good.

Dry it and use it. Period

Someone may have a better memory but I think one of the old powder guys like olin/winchester actually preserves some very old original smokelss powder in jars of water and they can still take it out and make it go boom after all these years.

Mule

Pitch the primers

I believe the compounds used in primers are very susceptible to water damage and they advacate "soaking in water" to "destroy" them if they are old or you are not going to use them.

Mule

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.