Watch your bullets!!!

Topshot

I have just been loading up a few test loads for my .338WM when I looked into the bottom of the box of projectiles and was shocked to see a stray.

Yep, laying down alongside my 300 grain projectiles was a much shorter and slimmer version of the same. Talk about poor quality control.

It was of .308 cal not .338 and of about 150 grains ( I didn't weigh it) Now this is no big problem as I spotted it straight away but it got me thinking.

What if I was loading say 250 grain progectiles and the stray turned out to be of the same calibre but of say 300 grains. If this wasn't noticed the end result could have been quite messy.

I wonder, has anyone else found anything unwanted in a box of projectiles?

Please take care when reloading..................................................................

I've never had an odd cal. bullet show up but I had another thing happen this year that was an eye opener !! I was setting up to prep some new brass,( 270 Win. ) and( luckily) found three pieces with LIVE primers before I full length sized them!! Two weeks later I was setting up to prep some new 270 WSM brass and found two pieces with live primers!!

I think Winchester was having a bad week at the plant that could have caused me, or someone else, a bit of a scare or worse!!!!! RHB

I found a similar situation with Ranier handgun bullets. It was a couple years ago but as I remember I was loading 147 grain 9mm and a couple 32 caliber bullets were mixed in a bulk box. They were both damaged. I always suspected they were pulled off the line for being damaged then got mixed in another line. I emailed Ranier but never got a response.

It pays to pay attention!

I recently found a .224 55gr sp rifle bullet in a box of Hornady .451 185gr xtp bullets. It would be tough to seat it in a 45 auto case, so there wasn't any danger. I wrote Hornady and asked them about it. They said sometimes bullets get left behind in the tumblers and the box weight is within spec so it doesn't get caught.

A true wildcatter would have necked down the .45 ACP to .224, loaded that bullet and introduced the cartridge as a varmint round for the 1911 platform...

Just got a reply back from the bullet manufacturer thanking me for informing them of the stray bullet. Very prompt and thankfull.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.