Wanting a Texas Aoudad hunt in winter of 2024

cornchuck

I'm wanting to book a west Texas Aoudad hunt for in the winter of 2024 (January-March). I am leaning towards West Texas Hunts Organization. But willing to look at other outfitters. I would like to harvest a nice size Aoudad. It doesn't have to be a record breaker. Would like to have lodging. And I am willing to work my butt off on this hunt. Booking this hunt would allow me to get another rifle to add to my collection. Here, I'm leaning towards a Christensen Arms Mesa in 6.5 PRC or a Ridgeline in 300 PRC. I know Aoudads are tough animals. Will a 6.5 PRC be enough for them under 1000 yards?

I am probably going to book within the next 2 months, so any advice would be appreciated.

Jason

west Texas hunt organization January 2020
ED7AA4FF-2F7C-4406-AC23-166554EA66BB.jpeg

Elkeater,

That's an awesome ram! What ranch did you hunt on? How was your experience with West Texas Hunt Organization? And what was your caliber of choice for this hunt?

Jason

Elkeater,

That's an awesome ram! What ranch did you hunt on? How was your experience with West Texas Hunt Organization? And what was your caliber of choice for this hunt?

Jason
We hunted the Indio ranch. It was a semi guided (basically unguided but a outfitter rep was there for legal reasons associated with their lease) and was way cheaper three years ago. If he hadn't raised his prices I would have already gone back. We killed three rams in three days. Heck I shot my ram 3 hours into the first day. Lots of sheep like literally saw hundreds. We shot a 29 1/2", a 30", and a 32" ram. It was an awesome hunt. We provided our own food and tent in this one. The Indio is a sheep hunt. There no cabins or lodge. Though you are truck camping so you can be comfortable. The ranch has a rough road system but you can kinda get around. Lots hiking and cliffy places.

For calibers I'd suggest sticking to .30 cal magnums for those of us who only have a few days to get it done and just want to put a ram down. Mine was shot with a .300 win mag and a 199gr hammer hunter. The other two were shot with a .300 win mag and a 7mm Rem mag.

Never hunted with this guy, but I have friends that have and are satisfied with the hunts. He always seems to have some spectacular Aoudad hunting that produces.

Never hunted with this guy, but I have friends that have and are satisfied with the hunts. He always seems to have some spectacular Aoudad hunting that produces.

Mulie mike is West Texas Hunt Organization.

Other names that get thrown around a lot in Aoudad hunting are high west outfitters, pope brothers guide service, and premier hunts.

Recent Posts