Want a SUPER ACCURATE Varmint Rifle... RECOMENDATIONS PLEASE???

superlite17

Hello everyone! And thank you for your time!

I am trying to find the best varmint rifle i can afford... +or- $800 and not finding any reliable test data. I really like the Savage 12FVSS, Tikka Varmint, Savage 12VSS Varminter, and others.I have a Tikka Continental hunter that has provided GREAT results, but know people with mixed results.I really want the most accurate I can get, but tests i find seem inconsistant... one at .5 inch, others .75, and even over an inch on same guns.
Thought I would see what you all like.... shooting in the real world. What seems to be most accurate out the box? Also do you know of any true head to head comparisons???

Thanks for the time... and hopefully the help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would recommend a Remington 700 in VSSF II. I have one in 204 and it shoots <1/2" everytime (once you fix the trigger).

Does $800 include scope? If not, Here's what I would do: Buy a stevens 200 S/A from a guy on savageshooters.com who goes by "northlander"-$215
Pac-Nor 1.055 no taper barrel, threaded and chambered in .22 BR or 22-250-$310
SharpShooter Supply trigger and recoil lug: $110
Stockade LongRange Benchrest "movey saver" stock-$210
Total: $845..... A rifle like that would shoot bugholes all day long.....

Have you thought of buying a used benchrest rifle in 6mm ppc? Even wore out [for a br shooter] they will shoot .5.
In the USA you might get one for $ 800 on a sleeved rem or similar. Here in Australia they start around $1000.
Hope this helps.
Regards.
hjl

Remmy 700 VSSF/VS/VLS- Savage12 BVSS, 12VLP, 12LRPV, 10FP- Kimber 84M Longmaster/Pro Varmint- Winchester Stealth/Varmint.... Take your pick.

my tikka t3 300 wsm (I am suggesting the Tikka, not the caliber) just shot a 4-5 shot groups at 100 that were slightly over a half inch w/ hand loads. It seems to shoot better than my Rem 700 BDL did.

[ QUOTE ]
Savage 12VLP. Get the .243 or the 1-9" 22-250. Has a good stock and won't break the bank.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where did you find the 1/9 twist 22-250 savage? Been looking around and cant find one...

The April American Hunter has a test of the Savage 12LRVP in .22-250. .204 and .223 are also available. They averaged 0.2875 for 10 three shot groups with Norma 55gr HP at 100yd. Groups for Federal 40gr and Hornady 55gr were around 0.4. The 2007 version has an AccuTrigger adjustable down to 6 oz. List price is $967.00, but you could probably find it for less.

I am sure that this rifle shoots very well, but why did the NAH magazine only do three shot groups? You really can not tell how good a rifle will shoot w/ less than five to ten shots. I shot my 300 wsm yesterday, 4-5 shot groups, and three of the four groups had the first three rounds printed between .25 and .4 inch center to center. it was the last two that swayed out to make a little over a half inch group.
britz.

[ QUOTE ]
I am sure that this rifle shoots very well, but why did the NAH magazine only do three shot groups? You really can not tell how good a rifle will shoot w/ less than five to ten shots.

[/ QUOTE ]

They average ten 3 shot groups for 30 rounds total. Largest group was 0.4375 and smallest was 0.1875.

I just happen to have one sitting on the shelf in our warehouse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Email or call me and I'll get you some prices.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.