VX6HD Tracking

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25294

I'm looking to put a VX6HD or possibly the new VX5HD 4-20 on a lightweight LR hunting rifle.
I'm a little hesitant to try one of these, since the only Leupold that I'm positive tracks perfectly is the MK5 line.
What do you guys (who have actually done a tracking test) think of these scopes tracking?
I'm wanting to keep it light as possible or I'd just buy another MK5 3.6-18

No issues with my VX6 (non HD) and VX5HD......I read a few similar threads on the Hide today too with the vast majority stating the same. But if you are hesitant, mybe you should go another direction.

I'm looking to put a VX6HD or possibly the new VX5HD 4-20 on a lightweight LR hunting rifle.
I'm a little hesitant to try one of these, since the only Leupold that I'm positive tracks perfectly is the MK5 line.
What do you guys (who have actually done a tracking test) think of these scopes tracking?
I'm wanting to keep it light as possible or I'd just buy another MK5 3.6-18
I followed the thread over on accurateshooter were guys were testing scopes and from what I got out of it was some brands are better than others but each individual scope can also vary and some will settle in after the first or second shot. Seems the only way to be 100 percent sure was have a scope checker and frozen scope.

There are a ton of threads about VX-5 & VX-6 tracking and they all ask the same question you are. Most say they heard of issues on another forum but not a lot of factual info. I have half a dozen 5's and 6's and have not had an issue with any of them. Plenty of problems with VX2 & 3's, Vipers and Nikons too. Never had a tracking issue with a March, NF, XTRII, or Zeiss. Not to say they never have problems but not on mine.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/se...d+tracking&t=post&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1

Never had a problem with any Leupold scopes. I've had them for forty years and love their warranty. No problems and very easy. Sent a few binoculars back over the years with a focus issue or scratches and they replaced right away. Customer service has carried a lot with me.
That and it's a dang good product especially for hunting and low light in my opinion.

But I'm sure there is a lot of really good scope out their I just don't look.
And I still believe it's still family owned not a corporation. I believe it's 7 generation if I heard correct from a recent podcast.

I have two VX6s (non HD). One VX5. And three VX6HDs. I've done actual tracking tests on one of the HDs and both of the non-HDs. And I've shot them all to 900-1000 yds which gets me past one full rotation of elevation.

The tracking on the three I tested ran within 1/2 MOA to a Vortex Razor HD AMG and NF NSX out to 30 MOA. The Leupolds tended to run just a slight bit high. They were within 1/4 MOA in the 10 to 15 MOA range and started to run 1/2 MOA high out toward 20-30 MOA.

Having shot all of them I think they all track consistently with each other. I probably wouldn't run them as dedicated LR target scopes, but as hunting scopes (where I limit shots to about 600-700 yds) they are great (lightweight, good glass, compact form factor, easy to use)

I've tested VX3s and a Mark 4 (SFP) scope and found them to be quite good in the first 20 MOA (didn't test beyond that). I did have a FFP Mark 4 that was horrendous. Sent it back to Leupold to get fixed and it was the same when I got it back. I still have it on a 22LR because I couldn't bring myself to sell it to somebody knowing it didnt track. That's the only problem I've had in terms of tracking with Leupold.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.