VV-N550 What are you using it in?

Freebore

I have a couple pounds of this powder and haven't tried it yet. I have most calibers 30 and under pretty well covered. I'd like to shoot this up or possible hold on to some of it, if it shows results.

What cartridge, bullet and firearm are you using it in and how's the performance?

I have loaded a number of calibers with N550. I have used it in a couple of 30-06's with very good results shooting 150 Nosler Partitions and 168 TSX's.

At one time N550 was the powder that I used most in my 300 WSM's. It worked well behind the 168 TSX's.

I have also used it in my 308 behind 168 Sierra Match bullets. I was able to get good accuracy and speed.

ShortMagman,

Thank you for the reply. I did not find much data on this particular powder. However the VV website did have a load for the .243 with 100's. I loaded some 105 A-max's and was impressed with the velocity and tight ES. Unfortunately I only loaded five rounds and I did not verify them hitting the target as I was concentrating on the chrony. It wasn't until I walk to the 8x11 target and found they had not. So off to the range tomorrow with more rounds and a 50 yrd sightin first.

Glad to see it worked in the 30 cal. From what I have been able to find out it is similar to H4350 burn rate.

Kevin,

The burn rate is very similar to 4350 either IMR, or Hodgdon. With the 30-06's I was able to get more velocity than with IMR-4350 at close to the same charge weight. I do like the powder even though it is more expensive than IMR or Hodgdon.

The Nosler #6 loading guide gives quite a bit on information on N550 in the 300WSM. This manual shows that N550 is the most accurate powder tested with 125 grain BT,and 180 grain bullets. It also shows that N550 produced the highs velocity with 150, and 168 grain bullets, so I found that it was a very good powder for the 300WSM.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.