Vortex Viper PA! Will I be Happy?

asg1485

I have read for days on scopes and learning the ends and outs. My wife thinks i have a gf i have been on this site so much haha

This is my first long range build. I will only be shooting long range hunting scenarios.
I have no desire to kill game at close range unless a great opportunity presents itself.
200-1000yds will be the goal. 200yd zero

7mm rem long range platform. Viper pa 20x

Am I incorrect in my thinking that a Vortex PA with the custom Kenton Turrets will essentially do everything a PST SFP will do? Eye relief is a concern but i will be adding a muzzle break. I know the pst has exposed turrets but not a huge deal breaker if i get the kentons. 65 moa on elevation for both. I beleive the new PA has Zero Stop ir reset

I will have access to everything needed to build these turrets as far as info/specs. I only want to dial in my ranges. No hold overs etc.

Can and will the PA be adequate for my needs or will i just be dissappointed
Thanks in advance.

Thats a crapshoot... The PA scopes are Objective adjustable parallelax, not side mount and the 'glass' isn't as good (supposedly) either. I run a Viper PST myself but I do have a Diamondback 4-16 side focus on a 308 and I'm happy with that.

There is an observable difference in clarity between the PST and the Diamondback but I went with the latter for weight. The latter has a 1" maintube and weighs 10 ounces less. I'm into weight myself.

Having said that, next time, I'll take a hard look at a Zeiss with custom turrets.

I see Vortex is having quality issues (as has been discussed on this forum) with their Razor line of spotters, which incidentially are made in China of all places....eeek...

The scopes are made in the Phillippines (Vipers and Diamondback) and the lesser ones are made in China as far as I can determine.

Vortex makes nothing here (Wisconsin), just an importer of foreign products.

While I haven't had an issue with the scopes (shoot the box fine), I'm disapointed with the Spotters.

Whats the difference between the HS and PA? Price? I have 3 HS', no issues with them.

Hs has more eye relief but less moa adjustment i beleive. Not sure what else. Do you have custom turrets?

Whats the difference between the HS and PA? Price? I have 3 HS', no issues with them.

HS is side parallelax T is raised turrets PA is front parallelax (objective bell turns)

The PA scopes are cheaper as a rule but eye relief isn't dependent on line. It's more dependent on magnification range... Like I said earlier on (and you didn't read...) Eye relief is entirely dependent magnification. The higher magnification you have, the less eye relief (and FOV) you have. That is the mechanics of scopes, not just Vortex.

I own a 4-12 x 40 PA and a 6-20x50 PA and both ARE side adjust parallax. I have been very happy with them and I also run two NXS's and an USO. For the money I think they are a great value. They track true and have good glass.

HS is side parallelax T is raised turrets PA is front parallelax (objective bell turns)

The PA scopes are cheaper as a rule but eye relief isn't dependent on line. It's more dependent on magnification range... Like I said earlier on (and you didn't read...) Eye relief is entirely dependent magnification. The higher magnification you have, the less eye relief (and FOV) you have. That is the mechanics of scopes, not just Vortex.

Thanks for the clarification on eye relief. I was going by the specs on the website

I own a 4-12 x 40 PA and a 6-20x50 PA and both ARE side adjust parallax. I have been very happy with them and I also run two NXS's and an USO. For the money I think they are a great value. They track true and have good glass.

Did u opt for the custom turrets from kenton on either PA?

No, ive got them on rifles that don't see a lot of long range work and the BDC reticle works well for this application.

Thank you for the clarification. I was looking on the vortex website and I didn't see a difference.

OP, I do not have custom turrets. I purchased the HS' at Basspro when they were on sale. I lucked out with the side parallax adjustments. I did not realize the difference in the two scopes when I purchased them.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.