Vortex Viper, did I make a good choice?

mustardtiger56

So after researching various optics for a lightweight .270 build (that will be used as my primary hunting rifle) capable of reaching out to a max of about 500 yards, I settled on the Vortex viper HS 2.5-10x44. While I was adding it to my cart (online shopping) I noticed a deal on a 3-9x40 viper for $299 as opposed to $599 for the HS (I live in Canada). So, after some brief research, I found a forum discussing the differences between the two scopes and guys were saying the glass quality is identical, and the only real differences were the tube size and the fact that the HS was essentially a tactical scope sized down to a hunting scope, and that the weight saving for the original viper made it more suitable for a hunting gun. So with that, I purchased the viper 3-9x40 instead. Today however, I was browsing a forum and someone mentioned that the Viper HS glass is superior to the original viper and the the Diamondback HP is essentially on par with the original viper with more features. Now I'm feeling like I made the wrong decision, I thought I had scored an excellent deal on a higher end, premium rifle scope well suited for a lifetime of abuse that was of enough quality to earn a spot on a do-it-all, mountain capable rifle. Now I'm beginning to wonder if the HS was the scope that filled my criteria and the original Viper is really just a glorified Diamondback HP, more suited on a budget or plinking rifle, not so much a rifle that will need to withstand abuse in the backcountry. What do you guys think? Did I make the right choice in going with the original Viper for half the price of the HS? Even if glass is similar, is the Diamondback HP on par overall with the original Viper? is it the premium scope it's often touted as, or more of a budget option?

I know I've asked a lot here, but I'm very interested in what you guys think.

Thanks

The Crossfire scopes are 100% made in China. Diamondback scopes use Phillipines glass and are built in Phillipines (still very good quality for the price, I have a Diamondback spotting scope). The Viper, Viper HS, HS-T, and PST models use the much higher quality Japanese glass but are still made in the Phillipines. The Razor scopes use Japanese glass, and are built in Japan.

Personally, I would have gone with the Viper HS, they use a little bit better lens coating on the HS, HS-T, and PST models. I have a Viper HS in 6-24x50 on one of my 7mm STW Senderos for years. Great scope. I also have three Viper HS-T 6-24x50 scopes on some of my other LR and target rifles, and they are phenomenal scopes for the money.

Be sure to lock it down in some good quality rings, like the Seekins Precision rings or the Vortex Precision Rings (they're made by Seekins for Vortex), and a good picatinny rail. I use EGW HD rails. They're strong, but made of lightweight aircraft grade aluminum, like the Seekins rings.

Yeah, another issue is that the viper HS has a 30mm tube and I've got 1 inch rings on my rifle. Buying new rings would have cost $79 in addition to the extra $300 for the HS. So I was looking at about a $400 increase for what I thought was the same glass. At that point I may have just have bumped up to a HST or even 2.5-10 PST

Buyers Remorse is fairly common. I'd suggest you rely on the performance of your scope rather than Internet gossip. You can test the glass fairly easily by simply looking through the scope at various power levels (with correct parallax adjustments) as you move the cross hairs from one exrtreme to the other and look for distortion. I'm sure you will find some distortion at the outer limits but you're not going to use the outer 25% anyway so I wouldn't worry about that.
Just keep in mind that when you choose a $299 scope you don't get $599 quality.
Here's a series of tests you can perform yourself. It take a bit of work to set up the jigs but in the end you'll be better informed than those who posted their experiences on some forum:

Scope testing and mounting for precision shooting.

Well the original viper has a retail price of $419.00 (on sale/clearance) compared to the Viper HS at about $569.00 in Canada, the $299.00 price on the original Viper came from a one time deal at Cabelas and certainly isn't the norm.

Well the original viper has a retail price of $419.00 (on sale/clearance) compared to the Viper HS at about $569.00 in Canada, the $299.00 price on the original Viper came from a one time deal at Cabelas and certainly isn't the norm.

OK, so adjust my comment to read "Just keep in mind that when you choose a $419 scope you don't get $599 quality. :rolleyes:

I agree with Mudd, one thing I've learned with rifles and Optics.
You have to love it.... NOT just like it...
You will always have doubt, when you settle for less..

I'm feeling better about the purchase now. I called Vortex, they said the older Viper glass quality is almost identical to the HS quality and glass is slightly better than the Diamondback HP overall as well. I asked the rep if the HS was worth an increase in price of $400 dollars and he said the quality overall is too close to warrant paying that kind of price difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.