would I be better off with a Vortex Viper HS or Viper PST?

mustardtiger56

After reading an article by Caylen Wojcik from Magpul about increasing effective shooting range while hunting, I've decided to invest in a new scope to replace my plain jane duplex Bushnell elite on my .270 Win Browning X-Bolt. Following some research I figure that the FFP Vortex PST is the way to go, but I still find myself debating if I'm making the right choice. This is for a few reasons
1. Although I can shoot out to about 800 yards where I live, I can only hunt at a max of about 500 yards
2. If I purchase the Vortex HS, I can also afford to purchase a clearance Weatherby Vanguard .223 for a coyote gun instead of using my .270 for the purpose.(I like the 10x max magnification on the Viper HS SFP scopes because I can still use the reticle at max magnification at any reasonable range without losing my entire FOV.)
3. If I go for the Vortex HS BDC, am I really gaining that much over my current duplex scope? Or is it going to significantly increase my ability to make shots at range (with practise of course).

More specifically, If I go the HS 2.5-10x44 route, can I still shoot out to 650 or so yards on targets and 400 on deer? Or will the lack of parallax make this difficult/unreliable?

Lastly, considering my max range, what do you guys think overall? Am I buying into the tacticool marketing scheme? Or could I greatly benefit from investing in an expensive high magnification FFP scope?

The viper pst has etched glass for a reticle, the HS has a wire reticle. The PST offers a lot more versatility with the etched glass reticle among other things. I have had wires fail before and they make me a little nervous.

The viper pst has etched glass for a reticle, the HS has a wire reticle. The PST offers a lot more versatility with the etched glass reticle among other things. I have had wires fail before and they make me a little nervous.

I think the OP should look into the HS-T line.

Being that I own a couple different models of Vortex scopes, I am unaware of these "other things" that make the higher priced PST "more versatile"...The glass is the exact same, the lens coating is the exact same, the scope body and turrets are the exact same. The only difference is the useless ill. ret., FFP, and an etched reticle. To me, that's not worth $350... The only advantage I see is the etched-glass reticle.

I have had zero issues with any of my Vortex Viper HS and HS-T scopes with the wire reticle, and my buddies have had zero issues with their Diamondbacks and Vipers. Also, 99% of people never have a use for illuminated reticle. And I prefer SFP over FFP.

I own a PS-t 4-16x50 sfp...... it tracks great but past that im un impressed. I actually have to send it in to Vortex due to a bunch of tiny black dots all around my reticle. Its clarity beyond 12x isnt that great. Its my first and last vortex. But given those two models since ive looked through both, Id get the PS-T

I think the OP should look into the HS-T line.

Being that I own a couple different models of Vortex scopes, I am unaware of these "other things" that make the higher priced PST "more versatile"...The glass is the exact same, the lens coating is the exact same, the scope body and turrets are the exact same. The only difference is the useless ill. ret., FFP, and an etched reticle. To me, that's not worth $350... The only advantage I see is the etched-glass reticle.

I have had zero issues with any of my Vortex Viper HS and HS-T scopes with the wire reticle, and my buddies have had zero issues with their Diamondbacks and Vipers. Also, 99% of people never have a use for illuminated reticle. And I prefer SFP over FFP.

My concern is not so much with the etched vs wire reticle, but rather with whether or not I can reliably shoot out to 600-700 yards on targets without parallax.

My concern is not so much with the etched vs wire reticle, but rather with whether or not I can reliably shoot out to 600-700 yards on targets without parallax.

The HS-T, Viper HS, and HS LR all have a side-focus parallax adjustment on the left-hand side of the scope.

HS-T:

Vortex Optics Viper HS-T Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-16x 44mm Side Focus

Viper HS:

Vortex Optics Viper HS Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-16x 50mm Side Focus

Viper HS Long Range (HS LR):

Vortex Optics Viper HS Long Range Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-16x 50mm

I'm looking at the 2.5-10x44 HS specifically. I don't think I would ever go over max 10x magnification in a SFP scope, I need to be able to use my reticle for ranging and still have a decent FOV. Plus at the ranges I hunt, 16x would be overkill.

I use the lit reticle alot, but did not remember to consider most probably wouldnt have a need for if. If I was shooting mostly known distances I would go sfp for sure. I use the FFP frequently to range as it was meant to do. HST is a perfect replacement to the PST, if you dont need the lit reticle and save some coin. Plus you'll have subtentions one of the bells and whistles the HS does not have.

I have both the Viper HS 4x16 50 and the Viper PST 6x24 . For most usage I would go with the HS 4x16 mine are clear at top power. It is better to have more power and not need it than to need more power and not have it. I am thinking about getting two more for other rifles I have.

First off, I'll admit to being biased. I have been trying to swap all my scopes to Vortex. I currently shoot:
6-24x50 Viper HS on a 243
4-16x50 Viper HS LR on a 50 cal muzzleloader
4-16x50 Viper PST on a 300 WSM
2.5x10x44 Viper HS on a 308

ALL have been shot to 600 yds minimum. Yes, I think the 2.5x10 can get you to 800, but the 4-16s do it better. I do not, however think the PST has an advantage over the Viper HS. I have a 338 Win that is waiting on a 4-16 HS LR when I get the funds.

Long answer, but thought I'd give you my $.02 since I've shot over the scope you are asking about. But in the end it's your $$ so your call.

Last edited:
I can't speak to 800 with that scope from any level of experience, but I don't see why I wouldn't work for target shooting for practice. I've only shot it to 600. At 600 I was the limiting factor. It's on a lightweight Sako so I've never intended that setup to reach past 600.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts