would I be better off with a Vortex Viper HS or Viper PST?

My concern is not so much with the etched vs wire reticle, but rather with whether or not I can reliably shoot out to 600-700 yards on targets without parallax.

Don't worry about parallax with scopes 10x or below.
I have tested this over and over, and it's not needed. It's a nice feature on low power scopes, but is more of a selling point than a required function. Several companies don't offer parallax on the 10x or lower scopes..

Lots of good input here that I second. I found that the vortex scopes I've had loose clarity past 16x so I would go with the 4-16 in a 50mm if you can. I have no problem shooting past 500 yards with the BDC at 16 power on game sized and smaller targets. I've even popped a few pdogs at 450 yard but they are really small at 16x.

gohring3006, Since you've tested the parallax issue, I've been thinking of getting the Leopold VX3 4.5-14x44 non-AO (to save on weight) for shots up to 600 yard or so. From my understanding, parallax could be several inches off at that distance. What are your thoughts since you mentioned 10x and smaller doesn't benefit from having an AO?

Lots of good input here that I second. I found that the vortex scopes I've had loose clarity past 16x so I would go with the 4-16 in a 50mm if you can. I have no problem shooting past 500 yards with the BDC at 16 power on game sized and smaller targets. I've even popped a few pdogs at 450 yard but they are really small at 16x.

gohring3006, Since you've tested the parallax issue, I've been thinking of getting the Leopold VX3 4.5-14x44 non-AO (to save on weight) for shots up to 600 yard or so. From my understanding, parallax could be several inches off at that distance. What are your thoughts since you mentioned 10x and smaller doesn't benefit from having an AO?
At 14 power it becomes a issue. You can still get good accurate hits, you just have to have get behind the rifle the same each time. Dialed at 10x or below I don't see you having a problem at all..

I haven't had any clarity problems on any of mine... All mine are Viper HS and HS-T scopes... All 6-24x50. If you're having clarity issues, try adjusting the diopter on the eyepiece (the thing with the +/- signs on it) while at your desired magnification, and be sure your parallax is also properly adjusted before adjust the diopter.

I haven't had any clarity problems on any of mine... All mine are Viper HS and HS-T scopes... All 6-24x50. If you're having clarity issues, try adjusting the diopter on the eyepiece (the thing with the +/- signs on it) while at your desired magnification, and be sure your parallax is also properly adjusted before adjust the diopter.

I turned around and sold that HS-T that I had and probably should have sent it back to the shop for a look over first. I adjusted everything on the scope and it didn't change it. I got a Zeiss instead and was much more impressed dollar for dollar. I may try another HS-T in the future (dollars harder to come by) as people keep saying they didn't have the issues I did. Mine may have been a first run lemon or something.

I turned around and sold that HS-T that I had and probably should have sent it back to the shop for a look over first. I adjusted everything on the scope and it didn't change it. I got a Zeiss instead and was much more impressed dollar for dollar. I may try another HS-T in the future (dollars harder to come by) as people keep saying they didn't have the issues I did. Mine may have been a first run lemon or something.

I've had Zeiss Conquests for many years, as well... GREAT scopes for the money! Their glass is top-notch. I'd put the Vortex HS-T just under them in glass quality, but ahead of them in turret design & travel adjustment, and the fact that they have a 30mm tube instead of a 1" (all the Conquests, but the 3-12x56, which i have one of, as well). My 6.5-20x50 Conquest with target turrets is nice, but I wish it had a 30mm tube with more adjustment. Which is why it sits on my .25-06 AI since it shoots really fast & flat, and doesn't require much travel to reach out to distance.

I've heard others say they had the same issue as your HS-T, but mine are clear... So is my Viper HS 6-24x50. Granted, I will say this, none of them are going to be super-clear above 16x-18x at 100 yards (when shooting for really tight groups like I do when I'm proofing loads). But farther targets it does clear up.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.