Vortex razor hd gen II 4.5-27x56 issues.

pondskipper

Well I finally got my 300wm finished this week and had purchased a used razor hd gen II on here a few months back that was to be used on this rifle, externally everything looks new, even came with all the original accessories and original box so for the price I thought it was a smart buy. After mounting the scope and taking it out back and boresighting it in I noticed I was having an issue getting it to focus on objects at distances beyond 300 yards, 200yds and in and it will focus just fine and is perfectly clear, both the image and reticle. Also noticed to get it to focus at 200 the focus knob is set at 500 yds and it does this no matter what power the scope is set at or how much you fool around with the parallax adjustment. Anyone had any experience with the VIP warranty?

Vortex warranty and customer service is top notch. Send it in and they'll take care of you .

Well that's good to know, hopefully it's not something that will take forever to get a response on or very long to fix.

They're very quick , if they can't repair it in a timely manner, they'll send you a new one.

yep there warranty is great. First thing i would check though is to make sure the rings are flat and even. if there no i could be flexing the scope. i would loosen take off the top ring cap off the rear ring and see if the scope is still tight i the bottom half of the ring.

I'll check that when I go to take it off. Shouldn't be though, I'm using seekins rings and a badger 45 Moa base. I had planned to go out to 2000+ with it which is why I have such a steep base on it.

the way i discovered mine was when i went to change scopes and i set the scope in the rings and if i pushed down on the front of the scope it would pick the back up just a little, Mine is a custom gun but i thing it just has to do with the machining done from different company's. i was swapping to nightforce rings and the atcr. if you look up "bedding a scope rail" is a common problem and easy to fix

Last edited:
Well guys the scope is at vortex, super fast response and extremely nice people to deal with, even sent me a pre-paid, insured, overnight shipping label to send the scope off via fedex, they kept me informed on every aspect of what was going on and come to find out the issue wasn't the scope at all it was the base. I have the whole thing set up on a 45 moa scope base to be able to shoot out to 2000 yds, in doing so it puts the erector assy in such an extreme angle the focus actually wont work correctly because you are at the very edge of the glass internally, now if I were to give it around 5 mils of elevation or so it would be perfectly fine and clear because the erector would come closer to the center of its travel. that being said it was totally my fault in my setup and nothing to do with the scope at all. That being said, given the response time and how informed they kept me throughout the whole process I can only recommend vortex even more than I had before, great people and products!gun)gun)gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.