Vortex Razor HD Gen II quick look

matt_3479

On Monday i got a chance to play with and handle the New Vortex Razor HD Gen II. I was very very impressed with it minus the weight! I played with both the 3-18 and the 4.5-27 and both were really nice. If you dont mind weight, or have a rig more set for the bench/f-class style and less of a hunting rig then id strongly consider it! I want to start by saying i am no expert when it comes to glass! I own a Vortex PST that i am very pleased with, run a Nightforce NXS that i love! Shot and played with both the Steiner's and Schmidt's, and will be using a Steiner for a course im going to in July but actual testing and shooting experience is limited (almost nothing) with most of these optics.

Like i said first thing i noticed is the weight of these scopes, coming in around 48oz is a heavy scope! adding an extra 3 pounds to the rifle can make a huge difference. The glass quality is superb! We had it out next to the newer Bushnell HDMR, 4-16x50 Klassik Schmidt and bender, nightforce NXS and the older razor. As far as glass quality we had 3 different shooters there and it appeared the new razor had them all beat.

The eye box on the older razor wasn't the greatest and was a little picky but the newer version definately seem liked they improved on it. The turrets are very audible and have very possible adjustments, the illumination has a newer stronger system it seems as the older one had 3 contact points that use to be a little flimsy. I like the reticle they are running (both scopes had the moa EBR-2C reticle in them).

I was very impressed by there new scope except i dont know if i can get past there price as well. If it was a tad lighter id consider it but not sure if i can justify the added weight. Other then that, good looking scope, good feeling scope, and beautiful sharp glass! I know not everyone has seen one so figured id throw my 2 cents in. Like i said before very little experience in this department.

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.