Vortex PST ?????????????

berryreed

Your opinions please.

I am getting a PST 4-16 FFP or 6-24. Haven't decided which one yet. Your opinions would be appreciated. Scope will be mounted on a 338 RUM. Used mainly for long range hunting and target practice. The main reason that I am considering the 6-24 is there are times when I don't want to carry my Swaro spotting scope due to weight and thought the 6-24 would be better for judging trophy mulies.

What do you think?

There aren't a lot of guys using these yet so a real trial of them hasn't been had but the guys that have done initial testing and reviews/comparisons have very good things to say about them.

Most importantly to me is that tracking, reticle subtention accuracy, and lack of reticle tilt has been most excellent!

Personally the 4-16 fits my shooting style better but there are a number of users that seem to think that the 6-24 has a bit better optical performance than the 4-16. The 6-24 is an ounce or 2 heaver and almost 2 inches longer so keep that in mind. You many also want to think about how much mirage you are going to be dealing with. Mirage in my area gets pretty bad with the higher powers so they aren't as usable for me and I would have a hard time justifying the higher weight and longer scope.

Decisions Decisions!

Good Luck!

I'm in the market for a higher power variable like your self. There isn't enough track record out there on mechanics of scope for me. Plus I've learned from reputable source in the business of scopes say the Sightron S3 has better glass and mechanics. Best there is for under a $1,000. Optics supplier in CA is offering free shipping if you can prove your an Oakland Raider fan.

I'm in the market for a higher power variable like your self. There isn't enough track record out there on mechanics of scope for me. Plus I've learned from reputable source in the business of scopes say the Sightron S3 has better glass and mechanics. Best there is for under a $1,000. Optics supplier in CA is offering free shipping if you can prove your an Oakland Raider fan.
I bet he tosses in a free 8ball if you prove your a raiders fan too! Jk.

If you do a lot of hunting in thick brush or timber and feel you really need the big FOV on the low end, the 4-16 will be better for that.

Otherwise, for anything else, the 6-24 is the no brainer choice. There's hardly and weight penalty and you can see your targets so much better. I've had two 4-16's and a 6-24. I sold the last 4-16 a few days ago. The 6-24 isn't going anywhere!

I have a 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope with a custom turret for my reloads. I can't see how any scope can track more accurately for any amount of money. The glass is very clear also. The first time I shot in competition at 1,000 yds. my three sighters were just outside the 10 ring at 4 o-clock and 4 inches across. I adjusted one click left and one click up and shot a 10 shot group that scored 91-1x out of a possible 100. The wind picked up for my second 10 shot group and it scored 82-0x.

joseph

PS: I do not think you can go wrong with this scope. If you get the 4-16 power and need more power you don't have it, but if you get the 24 power you can always lower the power.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.