Vortex PST

rinodods

I've been out testing my Vortex PST and noticed something that seemed a little odd to me. It is the 6x-24x MRAD model and when set at lowest power it is impossible to get eye relief that provides a full view of the reticle. The whole left side edge where the label for reticle is and the wide side bar are not in view. Everything else shows fine and as you increase power the issue goes away. I thought maybe it was just me but another shooter noticed the same thing when he was testing it out before I even mentioned it. Anything else seeing anything similar?

Last edited:
I've been out testing my Vortex PST and noticed something that seemed a little odd to me. It is the 4x-24x MRAD model and when set at lowest power it is impossible to get eye relief that provides a full view of the reticle. The whole left side edge where the label for reticle is and the wide side bar are not in view. Everything else shows fine and as you increase power the issue goes away. I thought maybe it was just me but another shooter noticed the same thing when he was testing it out before I even mentioned it. Anything else seeing anything similar?

I believe this is normal in a FFP scope. At 4x you have the largest field of view which makes the reticle very thin, but fills the scope with the center of the reticle. When at 24x the reticle zooms in on the target which allows the outer thick part of the reticle to be vizible. I hope someone would explain this better than I.

Mine does the same thing. I have the same except it is a MOA with the Vortex Custom vertical Turret. Once you get used to the way the FFP acts you will really like it.

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

I added both the MOA reticle at 4x and at 24x to show the different way you see it in the scope. I just looked through mine at 24x and the thick parts are not seen either.

Last edited:
I might have thought the same thing but I didn't get an ffp scope. I would think even the ffp would at least be even and cut the edge evenly on all sides. Mine only blocks the left edge. Maybe I should double check that the scope cap hasnt moved the rubber surround off and into the view.

Will over a year now still no vortex PST-FFP. One more week then i will ask for my money back. I will get a sighton 111. What Bsssssssssssssss.

I'm sure it doesn't make you feel any better but I got to have a talk with Scott at Vortex today about my PST. Turns out I had about 1 MIL of windage left and the blur I was seeing was due to the erector being adjusted so far (**Excuse my probably poor description of the issue**). Apparently Scott said that the PST does not have a stop internally which allows for more windage adjustment however it will move far enough to make it appear to darken and cause the issue I was seeing. Some scopes would stop adjusting before they got far enough to cause what I was seeing.

After mounting another scope in some different rings and bore sighting everything lined up nearly perfectly with the reticle centered. Threw the rings I had on the PST (Burris Extreme Tactical) back on the EGW 20MOA mount to check them out. They looked out of alignment to the naked eye. I placed a machinist rule against the rings and what do you know the front ring was off to the right of the bore and the rule caught air on one side when laid flat down the rear inner ring side.

Turns out Scott had a similar conversation with another customer less than two weeks ago. Same Burris rings and another bad alignment issue. Probably the last time I go with burris extreme tactical rings. I'm not sure I could even get this much error lapped out. It is something I should have checked before I got everything mounted. I was just so excited I didn't slow down and do all the checks I should have. I also should have caught it zeroing but again I wasn't paying much attention to the corrections required. I was just having a great time with the new toy. SHAME ON ME!!

Vortex customer service was amazing! Scott was on the phone the same day the scope showed up. They paid shipping both ways even though the issue was not their problem in the end. He was even replacing the scope just in case being adjusted so tight caused permanent compression to the spring. Did he have to do that? Of course he didn't and I wouldn't have expected it or requested it. Overall an awesome experience and one I took something away from.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.