Vortex PST Choices

rca81

I have a budget of $1,000 and I have narrowed my scope choices down to the Viper PST line. I've done some forum searches but still have a few questions I was hoping you could help answer.

1)Magnification: I plan to hunt and shoot long range with this scope. I've read that the glass on the 4-16 is not nearly as clear as the glass on the 6-24 scope. Is 6x going to be too much on the low end for hunting big game? Is the extra $50 worth 8x the magnification, especially if the glass is better?

2)Illuminated reticle: Does it matter much? Does it make the PST line worth it over the HS LR models?

3) FFP vs SFP: I understand how it works at different magnification levels, thicker vs thinner reticle etc. However is it worth $200 if I won't use it for ranging? It would matter though if I were to use the hash marks for holdovers correct? If FFP is really nice why are many of the Nightforce NXS scopes SFP?

4) EBR1 vs EBR2 reticle: Is there any advantage to one over the other?

Thanks

I have a budget of $1,000 and I have narrowed my scope choices down to the Viper PST line. I've done some forum searches but still have a few questions I was hoping you could help answer.

1)Magnification: I plan to hunt and shoot long range with this scope. I've read that the glass on the 4-16 is not nearly as clear as the glass on the 6-24 scope. Is 6x going to be too much on the low end for hunting big game? Is the extra $50 worth 8x the magnification, especially if the glass is better?

2)Illuminated reticle: Does it matter much? Does it make the PST line worth it over the HS LR models?

3) FFP vs SFP: I understand how it works at different magnification levels, thicker vs thinner reticle etc. However is it worth $200 if I won't use it for ranging? It would matter though if I were to use the hash marks for holdovers correct? If FFP is really nice why are many of the Nightforce NXS scopes SFP?

4) EBR1 vs EBR2 reticle: Is there any advantage to one over the other?

Thanks
I have both and can not see a difference in the glass. As far as the illuminated reticle I never use mine. If you plan on using the scope to range then get the FFP. Reticle is a personal preference; mine is the EBR-1. For $1000 you could look into the Sightron S3 as well.

A couple of quick comments we use about every scope vortex makes in the viper line-up clear to the soon to be released gen II razor scopes for one reason or another.

In the viper line it really comes down to choice between reticle and illuminated reticle.

A really nice hunting scope for the money is the hst 4x16x44 it has all the bells and whistles of the sfp pst less the illuminated reticle and is a nice little scope with features like a zero stop and repeatable turrets at a price that is hard to beat.

The hs xlr scope is my personal favorite of the viper line up for hunting it is ffp and has the 2c reticle a covered windage turret and is very hard to beat I choose the 4-16x50 fpor hunting because I like the wider field of view at 16 and the scope is very crisp and clear at this power.

Of the pst scopes we have run several of the ffp and sfp and once again it come down to personal preference. I prefer a ffp scope because I often use the reticle to hold for wind and I don't want to worry about what power I am on to be correct. A coyote coming in on the fly very often won't allow you the time to dial for wind and make corrections.

Jordan@406

I have the 4-16 PST mounted on a rifle. Repeatable effective little scope however, just as the OP stated, the optical clarity is not where I feel it should be. I also have an HS-T sitting in it's box i've been farting around with (not mine). I honestly feel the clarity of the HS-T easily exceeds that of my PST... maybe i'm weird.

I'd really like to get my hands on a Razor, from what i've read they are an awesome choice. Then again, at NightForce pricing, they better be.:rolleyes:

Like Beeman said, I don't use the illuminated reticle either, just don't have much use for them. Some guys do & I can understand why they need them. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

For what you're talking about (or what I think you're talking about) I might have to recommend the HS-T, save the extra $$ for reloading components and/or a high quality set of rings.

t

I have the 4-16 PST mounted on a rifle. Repeatable effective little scope however, just as the OP stated, the optical clarity is not where I feel it should be.
For what you're talking about (or what I think you're talking about) I might have to recommend the HS-T, save the extra $$ for reloading components and/or a high quality set of rings.
t

I also have a 4-16x50 PST, and although it gets the job done, I also completely agree with Outlaw here. The eyebox at 16x is real finicky. But tracking is precise and I do like the reticle as well. But to do it over again, I would strongly consider the HS-T. I do in fact like an illuminated reticle for low-light hunting situations in the timber where branches make a black reticle impossible to distinguish. But how many times have I used my illuminated reticle to shoot an animal where I would not have been able to make the shot otherwise? never.

regarding 4-16 vs 6-24, and 6x possibly being too powerful, that's a tough call. I have found over the years that in thick stuff, I actually prefer to hunt with my scope set to 5 or 6x. Looking through thick aspens to see if an elk is a cow or a bull. or a 3 pt bull vs a 4 pt bull, I like a little extra. 6x is still very steady and gives a little extra magnification to give you confidence in your target. Sure, certain situations could arise where you have a 15 foot shot. I have had them. 3x would be nice in those situations. But even then, with the way I hunt (very slow) I can make do with a 6x minimum setting for close forest work. And for a long range rifle I want the optics that will give the edge to long range performance... even if that means I have to adjust a little in how I hunt up close.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.