Vortex owners question...little problem...

Dust270WSM

I am a new owner of a Vortex Viper PST 6X24x50. Mounted it on my Browning X-Bolt 7mmMag. Scope looks amazing. The MOA reticle is awesome and after the 1st shot which was 6 MOA low and 3 right, it only took one adjustment and it tracked perfectly to where I wanted it!!!

All right after my bragging lol I have only one complaint/question....Why is the power adjustment so HARD to turn from 6 to 24??? My buddy just got the new hunting modeled Night Force and it only takes half the effort to adjust its power knob. And I know there are some awesome power adjusters I can mount on the ring and which I am going to get one but are all PSTs this difficult to turn?? If my wife my 10 year old or 18 year old tried it none of them would able to turn it. It's that difficult.

Thanks for any help. Just wanted all y'all's real world experienced guys and gals comments and thoughts. Going to call Vortex tomorrow and ask them also.

I am a new owner of a Vortex Viper PST 6X24x50. Mounted it on my Browning X-Bolt 7mmMag. Scope looks amazing. The MOA reticle is awesome and after the 1st shot which was 6 MOA low and 3 right, it only took one adjustment and it tracked perfectly to where I wanted it!!!

All right after my bragging lol I have only one complaint/question....Why is the power adjustment so HARD to turn from 6 to 24??? My buddy just got the new hunting modeled Night Force and it only takes half the effort to adjust its power knob. And I know there are some awesome power adjusters I can mount on the ring and which I am going to get one but are all PSTs this difficult to turn?? If my wife my 10 year old or 18 year old tried it none of them would able to turn it. It's that difficult.

Thanks for any help. Just wanted all y'all's real world experienced guys and gals comments and thoughts. Going to call Vortex tomorrow and ask them also.

Just work it back and forth. May just need worked a little because it is new.

I have a Vortex HSLR and the power ring is snug and I like that, The eye focus was not snug enough and had to make a spacer to keep it from moving in once it was set for me.

I would give customer service a email or call. Great service!!

what brand of rings/bases are you using?, are they lapped?

try loosening the rear ring(from the scope), try turning it again, if it loosens, get a torque-meter and do it according to the book. I bought a warne torx set up for riflescopes, works very well.

that happened to me with a leupold scope.
I own a pair of pst´s like yours, and one razor. and like them very much. awesome products and incredible warranty.

also own various leupold scopes some very expensive, some not. and I will definitly buy Vortex again

JOSE
MEXICO

Glad the switch levers work cause it's the heart of my deer season and vortex wants me to send it back. But I gotta lever going to be here wed. day so should help the problem. Lol

my hs LR is the same way. very annoying. hoping it will lossen up and it gets used more. In the cold weather it gets so stiff I can hardly even move it. Would get the switch lever but i shouldnt have to buy another product just to adjust the magnification.

Pardon my ignorance but what does it has to do with how hard the scope's power adjustment is?

If the rings/base are misaligned ever so slightly they are torquing the scope tube and binding up the internals. What might look straight to the naked eye is often not, usually because the top of the rifle receiver and the scope base are not mated correctly. This can torque the scope base which in turn misaligns the rings which then torques the scope main tube.

Rings are lapped and torx to correct pounds.

Got a scope scope lever from vortex. It's awesome. Wish it was a little looser but love the scope and love the lever. So I might send it back in after season but it's good for know.

If the rings/base are misaligned ever so slightly they are torquing the scope tube and binding up the internals. What might look straight to the naked eye is often not, usually because the top of the rifle receiver and the scope base are not mated correctly. This can torque the scope base which in turn misaligns the rings which then torques the scope main tube.

Thanks for the explanation but like others have noted theirs are the same. I helped co-workers set-up their Vortex scopes (4 total) and noticed the magnification adjustment are tight before mounting on rings but it did not matter to them or didn't mind it. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts