Vortex HS-T versus PS-T

Demon061

Contemplating which to buy. I like the HS-t's, great features and the glass is good. But I got a PS-T FFP for a buddy who did me a favor and I quite like it as well. This is for my hunting rifle, a Howa 30-06. For hunting in Nevada we don't do quite as much woods hunting as you folks back East or West do but there's a fair bit of brush busting and mountain climbing so.... which would be better for deer murdering/cute fuzzy animal exploding? The price point obviously pushes the HS-T into a better position, but, the PS-T is just... just so nice. Plus FFP is nice to have in a scope.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

I am in a similar position. The two reasons I am leaning against the PST are the illuminated reticle (arguably do not need for legal hunting hours) and the FFP, just not sure I want to go that route. I have used SFP scopes my entire life and am used to either holding over or dialing. The higher magnification FFP's seem to lose a good chunk of the drop points when dialed all the way in.

I may be misremembering but I checked out a PST at my local shop and some of your reticle vanished at 24X. I remember comparing it to Strelok and it was a chunk of elevation.

The HST is a solid option. I have an MOA version on a .308 right now. As far as I can tell comparing them side by side, the HST has the same glass as the PST except the HST has a wire reticle, 44mm objective, SFP only, and lacks illumination. If you watch the sales you can get into an HST for less than $500 pretty easily.

The HST is a solid option. I have an MOA version on a .308 right now. As far as I can tell comparing them side by side, the HST has the same glass as the PST except the HST has a wire reticle, 44mm objective, SFP only, and lacks illumination. If you watch the sales you can get into an HST for less than $500 pretty easily.

Indeed. I think I'm going to end up going for the HS-T and my brother's going to end up getting the HS-LR for his .300WM. I'd like to start doing 500 and 800 yard serious shooting but I dunno if I want to start reloading heavier bullets either. We'll see.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.