VLD seating options

One would think die manufacturers would get on the band wagon with their own version of a VLD stem since the proliferation of VLD type bullets.
I really don't see where it would 'hurt' to make ALL stems accept extended point bullets. It's amazing to me that this issue continues.

This may be the same Redding Seating but it looks different and this one fits a variety of calibers. The ones I would need are the 7 08, 270, 25 06. 280AI
I am now wondering if this will screw into the RCBS or Redding regular dies...
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....er-number-7-standard-(243-win25-06-rem7x577mm
Anyone know?

Drilling the seater plug is recommended by Lee. Lee will also make a custom seater plug for you.

I would drill the stem out enough to let you contact the give with extra room. I put my stem into a drill and used whatever vld i want to use with some valve grinding paste. I smear the vld with the grinding paste and use the bullet to sand the lips of the stem to match the give. You will use a few sacrificial bullets to get the job done. With a little bit of patience it should match the shape of the give very well. I did this and have no marks on the vld whatsoever.

Be careful with a fit too perfect. This can lead to excess wedging contact up & down the nose, with varying seating forces. This is also the reason you don't want seater stem datums near land contact datums. The angles would be too shallow for the stem to dig into grip.
Either causing inconsistent CBTOs.

Be careful with a fit too perfect. This can lead to excess wedging contact up & down the nose, with varying seating forces. This is also the reason you don't want seater stem datums near land contact datums. The angles would be too shallow for the stem to dig into grip.
Either causing inconsistent CBTOs.

All my loads are at least 100 thou off the lands. Using this seater has achieved 5 shot groups in the high 1s at 100 yards and approaching 1/4 moa at 600 yards. Also sd s in the single figures for 20 shots. I've the stem well drilled out beforehand and the contact area about halfway up the ogive. Maybe I got lucky the first time, but I am more than happy with the results.

Dogcityrollers, are your measured CBTOs accurate? Are they VLDs?
This would better relate to what we're talking about here.

All my loads are at least 100 thou off the lands. Using this seater has achieved 5 shot groups in the high 1s at 100 yards and approaching 1/4 moa at 600 yards. Also sd s in the single figures for 20 shots. I've the stem well drilled out beforehand and the contact area about halfway up the ogive. Maybe I got lucky the first time, but I am more than happy with the results.

Sure would be interested in the details of your rifle and your load data

Dogcityrollers, are your measured CBTOs accurate? Are they VLDs?
This would better relate to what we're talking about here.

Yes my Cbto are accurately measured. I use a Forster competition seating die. I have a seating stem for the berger 77gr vld, hornady 75 gr bthps match and now the Sierra 69gr tmk. I only shoot 223 as it is all the gun I need. all ammunition is check with mititoyo calipers and starred micrometers.

Sure would be interested in the details of your rifle and your load data

It's a blaser lrs2 in 223. Myloads are neck turned , trimmed to length and sorted for weight using lapua match brass. I also turn the flash holes to a uniform length on every firing. I use 25.7 grains of h335 with cci 400 primers. This gives me an mv around the 3100 fps mark. My oal length is 2.360". Once I have the bullet seated I check it for concentricity with a machine I made. I can then straighten them to under a thou of runoff. I use a very light neck tension to ease straightening. Once I have them straightened i finish them off with the lee factory crimp die. My loads are all full length sized. This is my 69gr tmk load which is excellent for foxes. There virtually no exit hole whatsoever. I found through a lot of trial and error that the crimp die halves my sd on certain bullets. On others it did very little. The hornady 75 gr bthp match being unaffected. There's a picture of my straightener
9023155796f140a76f35dfc8d01cef2c.jpg

Sorry for the long winded answer. Hope this covers it.

It's a blaser lrs2 in 223. Myloads are neck turned , trimmed to length and sorted for weight using lapua match brass. I also turn the flash holes to a uniform length on every firing. I use 25.7 grains of h335 with cci 400 primers. This gives me an mv around the 3100 fps mark. My oal length is 2.360". Once I have the bullet seated I check it for concentricity with a machine I made. I can then straighten them to under a thou of runoff. I use a very light neck tension to ease straightening. Once I have them straightened i finish them off with the lee factory crimp die. My loads are all full length sized. This is my 69gr tmk load which is excellent for foxes. There virtually no exit hole whatsoever. I found through a lot of trial and error that the crimp die halves my sd on certain bullets. On others it did very little. The hornady 75 gr bthp match being unaffected. There's a picture of my straightener
9023155796f140a76f35dfc8d01cef2c.jpg

Sorry for the long winded answer. Hope this covers it.

Quite well.

Nice rifle. Lots of work you put into those reloads.

Quite well.

Nice rifle. Lots of work you put into those reloads.

I don't mind putting the work in if it gets my group size down. It's the only rifle I reload for so it isn't so bad. I've put about 5000 rounds through it and it will still group under 1/4 moa if I do my bit. The barrel seems to be very hard wearing indeed.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.