VLD bullet seating

WHITEBULL

I am kind of new to reloading, and I just started loading for my .270wsm. I load for my .308, .204, .223, but never had a issue with the bullets sticking inside the seater die. I am trying to seat 165 gr. Matrix VLD and the bullets are sticking inside the die. What am I doing wrong, or do I need some type of VLD seating die?
Thanks.

Most standard seating stems/plugs won't clear the tip of VLD bullets and will deform them and can result in them sticking in the die. I guess it happens more on some bullets than others. Redding makes VLD-specific stems. Lee suggests that you drill out the seating plug until it clears the tip and bears on the ogive. I have no personal experience here, though. I've yet to load any VLDs.

Matt

I have only loaded 2 different VLD's so far. Never had an issue with either. I must say though since I bought a Forster seating die I am a believer. It just works so darn smooth compared to my RCBS seating die. It's also seating by the ogive and not the top of the bullet.
Maybe check that your die isn't dirty.

I am kind of new to reloading, and I just started loading for my .270wsm. I load for my .308, .204, .223, but never had a issue with the bullets sticking inside the seater die. I am trying to seat 165 gr. Matrix VLD and the bullets are sticking inside the die. What am I doing wrong, or do I need some type of VLD seating die?
Thanks.
Whitebull,
Go to the FORSTER ULTRA micrometer top seating die like bob4 suggested. They come standard with a stem that works for both VLD and standard bullets. Second thing is to go to our website and under the INFORMATION tab on our homepage click on TECH TALK in the drop down. Go to the article "VLDs making them shoot" and read the instructions there for suggested bullet seating depth testing. Please do all seating depth testing at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing. If you have any more questions you can contact us by phone or email .

I read a "how to" thing on the net somewhere on how to make a customized seating die using a hot glue to fill the cavity with a greased bullet used to form the cavity.

The only reason I use a Redding seating die is that they have a vld seating stem. It works well for me.

VLD's (and all others as well) should not seat with the meplat (tip) touching bottom of the seating cup. To check yours, dab a little Prussian blue on the tip and seat it. Remove the seater stem and examine the cup. If blue is evident at the bottom, the tip is touching. If its a Reddding, they will replace it. Other makes, I do not know.

The cup should seat on the ogive only.

Whitebull,
Go to the FORSTER ULTRA micrometer top seating die like bob4 suggested. They come standard with a stem that works for both VLD and standard bullets. Second thing is to go to our website and under the INFORMATION tab on our homepage click on TECH TALK in the drop down. Go to the article "VLDs making them shoot" and read the instructions there for suggested bullet seating depth testing. Please do all seating depth testing at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing. If you have any more questions you can contact us by phone or email .

Thanks for the tip. I do have a Forster Ultra micrometer for another caliber and they are very nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.