Viper PST vs Leupold VX-3

Since your using their TMT turret in yardage clicks(i will be too), what did you factor in when choosing one reticule over the other?

The 6-24x50mm PST only comes with two reticles. The MOA and Mil. I do not know about the other scopes that Vortex offers.

I need to clarify this to you that I do not pay any attention to the clicks for the distances when I shoot. I just range the distance then turn the turret to the yardage on the turret the range finder tells me what the distance is. You do not have to count clicks. This makes it much faster to get your shot off if need be.

joseph

The 6-24x50mm PST only comes with two reticles. The MOA and Mil. I do not know about the other scopes that Vortex offers.

I need to clarify this to you that I do not pay any attention to the clicks for the distances when I shoot. I just range the distance then turn the turret to the yardage on the turret the range finder tells me what the distance is. You do not have to count clicks. This makes it much faster to get your shot off if need be.

joseph

Right, so if you have a yardage turret either reticule would work, its just a matter of personal preference. Yes you have been very helpful i really appreciate it, as im am new to the long range thing as well.

So, if you get a custom turret, does it even matter what focal plane the reticle is in? I mean, if I were to use a range finder and have the custom turrets made to my rifles actual data, would reticle design or focal plane have any added benefits? I'm fairly uneducated with the fast moving technology of all the newer scopes, but I'm trying. Bear with me folks.

jb,

There'll still be some advantages to the FFP model when using custom turrets. One big one is that most times you'll still want to use the reticle for wind and moving target hold-offs. The FFP models will not be dependant on a particular magnification for correct reticle subtensions. This means you can have accurate wind hold-offs at whichever magnification you prefer to shoot at. It also means you do not have to be constantly aware of keeping your scope at correct mag for proper wind subtensions. Easy to slip up on this in the heat of the moment !

Paul

Is the vortex available with a fine duplex like the vxiii ? I have the vxiii with the m1 turret and a fine duplex. At distance seems like all the hash marks would be just to much of a annoyance if all you do is range dial & shoot like I do.
How good is it for returning to zero?? I do like the Price.

the viper psts are starting to ship out again. id wait around a little while, leupolds arent going anywhere and you could read updated reviews on the vortexs.

if i had to buy one right now, it would be a leupold. only because i can do research and in one hour, know exactly what to expect. the vortexs were released, got ok reviews with some minor problems, vortex fixed the problems and is not releasing. your not 100% sure how the new scope will perform. if you can, wait and do more research. i have high expectations of the psts judging from things ive read.

Is the vortex available with a fine duplex like the vxiii ? I have the vxiii with the m1 turret and a fine duplex. At distance seems like all the hash marks would be just to much of a annoyance if all you do is range dial & shoot like I do.
How good is it for returning to zero?? I do like the Price.

Hi lefty glad you are interested in the PST. Can I ask you what you do with the wind? You said that you range then dial your turret and shoot?

#1. The hash marks on the reticle really do not get in your way. Once you use the scope a few times or even after an hour shooting you will begin to like them when you see the things you can do with them.

#2. My PST is a FFP which means the reticle is on the first lens so when the power is increased the reticle enlarges the same amount as the target. Deer, paper or what ever.
When I first mounted the scope on my rifle I then bore sighted it at a business card 50 yds. away. To hold the card in the lawn I pushed a wire "from" a twist tie through the top & bottom of the card and then pushed the wire end into the dirt. I adjusted the power to 24x. When I looked at the card I immediately saw that even though the reticle looked large I was still able to hold the center cross hair on the pin hole made by the twist tie wire. This is possible because the target enlarged in the same proportion as the reticle. When you reduce the power your target gets smaller in proportion with the reticle and will look very fine especially the first time you see it. This happened to me and I was very worried about being able to see it at the lowest power while hunting. Now that I have gotten used to it I really like it. At dusk or dawn I turn the illumination on and at the lowest power it is easier to see than at high power.

Let me say this. You will love a FFP scope and the PST has all the parts (reticle+clicks+turret) that compliment each other.

#3. The tracking on my scope seems to be extremely repeatable.

In short this scope will make you a better shot. It certainly made me a much better shot.

Hope I have cleared up some of your questions,

joseph

Thanks Joseph in the wind its the same dial the turret but I can see how much faster it could be using the hash marks I also have the 10 mile 90 degere cross wind measured in inchs on my chart and the guessing game hasnt worked to bad but for the real long stuff I have been dialing.
I want to rebarrel my 22 250 to 65 47 or 6xc and pending reading some more about it it will probably get the vortex once I get the cash this will probably be my shoot for fun gun long range plinker.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.