Vortex PST or Leupold VX-3

I dont think you will reallly notice that small of a differance in light transmisson
but you sure will notice the lack of travel
the leupold has 25 mao more in travel
trying to get to real long range you need all the travle you can get
retiredcpo

It is when they come from objective third party tests under a specific set of parameters. It is not when it comes from a catalog, where even if they are telling the truth they can fudge the parameters (such as the frequency of light measured) to get the number they think will sell scopes. This makes light transmission percentage advertisements meaningless.

Look! BSA and Leatherwood are vastly optically superior to Hensoldt .

That's what the numbers say. Don't believe the numbers. Get your nose out of the catalogs and actually look through some scopes.

Yes your holiness. A Salam a laikum.

Listen, I agreed with him on which scope to pick, I didn't agree on his opinion on Leupy glass. He kept pushing and arguing. When people do that, they need to know they are being obtuse. Whatever the case, I really don't care anymore. I really don't.

lapua guy jon A is right specs on paper mean nothing they can put anything they wont on paper out in the field is what tells the true story

When people do that, they need to know they are being obtuse.
Do you know what that means? Sticking your head in the sand and refusing to acknowledge facts when they are presented to you simply because you wish they weren't true is being obtuse. I showed beyond any reasonable doubt how advertising claims of % light transmission are meaningless. Being obtuse, you refuse to acknowledge your argument is without merit and resort to calling me names.
Fine, and out if the field, I like Leupold glass better.
That's quite a feat, given that you've never been "out in the field" with the scope in question. Again. You must be related to Eremicus.

For future reference, no name you can call me will cover your extreme supporterism which drives you to constantly say Leupold is better than other scopes you have never even seen before. Thinking any of us care about what your imagination thinks--now that's obtuse!

OK guys,

Not mentioning any names if you go to benchrestcentral.com you will find that what goes on there is ruining a really good Forum. Lets not have this Forum go south the way a few of the benchrest guys are doing to their "used to be great Forum".

Just my .02,

joseph

Jon,

I'm interested in hearing more about your comparison of the PST to the VX3. I take everything on the internet with a big grain of salt now. Frankly, there is an awful a lot of Vortex kool-aid being consumed, and one never knows what's what. I bought a Viper based on numerous claims of it's glass quality, how it compares to other scopes and such. I ended up being very disappointed, albeit, FOR THE $400 spent, it was a good $400 scope.

With that said, you seem like an unbiased man, so I'm curious as to your experiences between the two scopes. There are a few guys up here in ND that are also curious. I'm trying to persuade one of them to be the test dummy and purchase a PST, with no luck yet. Not many PSTs floating around ND at this point.

Also, is the PST significantly better in glass compared to the Viper?

Thanks,

I have to agree about the Vortex kool-aide statement...I just joined here but have been a member on snipershide and snipercentral for a while and it seems like the PST gets mentioned in every thread. Knowing how few people actually have them in hand, I can't trust all the hype just yet. I hope that they are everything they are touted to be because they have a lot of features for the money. If I needed a scope right now I would have to go with the VX-3 LR as I have owned a few and know them to be quality scopes.

Like a fool,I will weigh in on this topic. I shoot rifles in the field that are topped with both a Leupy VX3 and a Vortex PST. On some days, I would swear the Leupy has better glass. On other days, it seems the Vortex has it by a nose. I'm not sure why, but both seem to be very good - just in subtly different ways.

The Leupy typically will have more MOA travel and is lighter weight. But then I have had problems with some of my Leupy's internal tracking mechanism (would not return to zero). That is how I came to own the Vortex. Leupold has always stood by their warranty and repaired or replaced scopes for me without question. Haven't had anything go wrong with the Vortex yet, so I can't comment on their customer service, but I hear it is also good. Vortex seems to be the better buy, but then they are the challenger. Leupold has a chunk of market share, so contenders need to offer a good quality scope at a lower price point to pull consumers away and get them to try their product. Overall, I am pleased with both scopes, but neither is a clear winner for me.

I guess you just have to step back and look at the big picture. The internet is one of the best - and worst - things that has happened to us. So much info is now available to us! this deluge of information often dazzles us and we forget to"sift, weigh and measure" what is being said. We forget this and often form an opinion based on the experiences of just one or two members. I am not at all saying these members are wrong in their opinions. But I am saying that statistically, it may be insignificant and not representative of the product or company as a whole.

Read all you can about these companies and scopes on several different forums. If you keep running into the same opinions or problems being encountered by many different members, then maybe the concern has some validity. Ford, Chevy, Dodge: they are all good.......and bad, depending on who you talk to.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.