Viper PST 2.5-10 vs. SHV 3-10

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by ljunkin94, Jul 19, 2015.

1. ljunkin94

ljunkin94 Member

I'm looking for some insight on these 2 scopes. Anybody have experience with both that can give me a comparison on overall quality, performance, and which is the better scope for the money? I realize the PST is about $200 cheaper. Is the SHV worth the extra money? Also do these scopes track well or is it better to count on the reticle in a hunting situation? Thanks.

2. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter Well-Known Member

Well if you want to turn a turret and have it return to zero I suggest a nightforce. If you want a scope that you can't tighten past 17 inch pounds on the rings or it will never track right buy the vortex.

3. Jumpalot

Jumpalot Well-Known Member

I have the PST 2.5-10, 4-16, and 6-24. I also have a Nightforce NXT 5.5-22. The glass on the Nightforce is better. The PST's track reliably. Never had a problem with them.

4. mustfish

mustfish Well-Known Member

I also have the PST 2.5-10 that is on a bolt gun and I use my turrets all the time. Never had a problem going back to zero. Have a night force NXS 56mm also that I am very happy with. If money is not an issue I would go for the Nightforce simply because I think they are a better scope and will stand the test of time.

5. snox801

snox801 Well-Known Member

Glad you asked this question. I'm also in the market for theses two scope also thinking the Nikon 2.5-10. Would save me a bit of money and should do more than my 300 blk can. Any thoughts

6. ljunkin94

ljunkin94 Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I have a PST 4-16 myself. I'm familiar with it but I dont know anybody with an shv. The nxs are great scopes so that's why I was curious about the SHV. I would think the Nikon would do well on your 300 blk. IV never had trouble with my nikons.

7. snox801

snox801 Well-Known Member

Thanks that is the way I am leaning as the I have had no previous issues. Especially with that round not sure I would gain much with my distance being limited. I would go with the shv if I were you seems to be all night force just limited options compared to the the higher end.

8. ljunkin94

ljunkin94 Member

Yeah that's what I'm hearing. It's for a .25-06 that I mostly use in the woods with some field use also. I wouldn't mind more power but the higher power scopes are more bulky and heavier.

9. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

No question about which one in my mind. Look through both in the upper range of magnification and I am sure the choice will be easily evident...NF.