VihtaVuori - Not much said about its use?

Far North Hunter

I came to asking this question after receipt of a Brownells email promoting several types of VV powders. They are comparing certain types to several of our hard to get and widely used brands/types. As such it would be interesting to hear some success stories from users of the VV powders. Brownells compares N140 to Varget, N150 to H4350 & RL17. They go on to recommend the new N530 to H4895, I4064/4166. Also N133 to CFE 223.
Any comments from subscribers who have direct experience using the respective powders in a direct comparison?
Price aside and availability issues at times it would be nice to hear your comments? I have used VV133 & 135 in my ppc's with great success. Aside from those two cartridges I have no direct experience.

for years, VV powders have been more expensive and not usually in stock in local shops so that seems to be a reason for avoidance in the past -- I do know that some guys swear by VV powders so in my eyes they are a good option as long as their availability remains accessible

I used to use vv530 in 223 with 80gr JLK and 80 Bergers, and 560 in 7WSM with 180 VLDs. Both shot wonderfully. However, with the 560 I had a temperature chart for velocity change. It was about 14 years ago and I don't remember the exact numbers, but I if memory serves it was about .7fps/degree, a hot day to a cool day would make a significant change on my 1k drop. Then I started shooting Retumbo in that rifle until I considered it toasted, and much more 6.5 using H4350 and now RL16 or Varget or 4831 depending on which 6.5, so keeping a temperature chart has pretty much gone away.

That's because it is basically fairy dust and doesn't really exist. Try it yourself, go in and ask for an 8 lbs jug of vv570, go ahead, I will wait.

When I can find just as good accuracy at half the cost with other powders is the reason that I don't use VV. Also I don't usually see it at the LGS either and the reason most likely is the cost. They can't afford to put it on the shelf beside powders at half the price.

When I had my 300 RUM all I used was N570. Now I have a 6.5 PRC and all I use is N565. I have plenty of retumbo, H1000, IMR 8133 and RE26 but don't use it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts