VihtaVuori - Not much said about its use?

I use N-165 in the 6.5 X 284 for match loads, very clean and great accuracy. It can be hard to find sometimes so when I get down to about two pounds I start looking for more. I also use N-550 in the 308 for match loads and very clean and great accuracy not a problem to find it.

I came to asking this question after receipt of a Brownells email promoting several types of VV powders. They are comparing certain types to several of our hard to get and widely used brands/types. As such it would be interesting to hear some success stories from users of the VV powders. Brownells compares N140 to Varget, N150 to H4350 & RL17. They go on to recommend the new N530 to H4895, I4064/4166. Also N133 to CFE 223.
Any comments from subscribers who have direct experience using the respective powders in a direct comparison?
Price aside and availability issues at times it would be nice to hear your comments? I have used VV133 & 135 in my ppc's with great success. Aside from those two cartridges I have no direct experience.

Without question, VV powders are superior to many commonly found powders. I have won many titles with these. Lapua, Berger, VihtaVuori, are now all owned by Nammo Lapua Oy, a Finnish company that specialized, and still does in manufacturing military munitions and ultra high tech guided ordanance. These people REALLY know their stuff.

At one time VV published a reloading manual for round for which they manufactured brass. last known issue was # 4 with a first printing in 2007. I know of no others since then. Of note, Berger has printed no new manuals since the first. I contacted Berger and got hold of a helpful guy that agreed they needed updated info but has not heard of any plans for new issues. Even with new cartriges entering the market. BUT, there is more. Sako, another Finnish company just made available the new S20 rifle in 6.5 prc. These companies all have close ties. To add to this, Tikka (a division of Sako) announced a new rifle is comming in 6.5 prc as well.

With the introduction of new cartriges being announced so often, from Hornnady and Nosler and more in the pipe line to be sure, I believe that VV has been compiling info for later release.

Reload data from Berger and VV for many of these are available on the web sites. Hope this helps. I'll post more as it becomes available.

I started using N570 last year, when Retumbo went away, for 7RM. Works really well for me with 175 CorLokts. Tried it in 243AI with 105 Bergers and couldn't get enough velocity but it shot like a lazer. So I tried N560 and got all the speed I need with lazer accuracy and ES of 13 from 10 shots. I was amazed! Next up, my 300 Hamr, which really likes the N120 I fed it. Its a 150 yard gun, so ES doesn't matter much, but the ES of 15 over 5 shots made me smile. My 308 likes N540 with 168 SMKs, a lot! Gonna try N530 in 5.56 next.
Yes, I like VV powders! Their ES is amazing, they're very clean burning, and they're usually available somewhere online. Also, a competitive shooter friend tells me their lot-to-lot consistency is better than any other brand. Buy some!

I really like N560 with light bullets in my 270 win. 160 and 165 are great in the 6.5x284. N540 in 308 the list goes on.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

I like the VV powder series. N140 for my M1 & M14 loads behind the Sierra 2155 155 grain Palma bullet. Very clean burning with a lot less smoke on the front hand guard when cleaning after a match. I use N570 in my 257 Weatherby behind a 117 grain Sierra Pro Hunter. N165 I use in my 270 Winchester. I like the clean burning of the VV series.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.