Vibration dampener

In the case of a rimfire, I can kind of get my head around it. Seems to me like it would be so easy to bump or otherwise move it on the barrel and not be aware of it. Will read up, thanks!

One of the posters had to cut his off because they don't slide very easily. Yours won't move by bumping it.

Hello all, I've been building up my hunting rifle and have been told by multiple people that adding a vibration dampener to my barrel would increase accuracy. Just wondering what everyone's opinion is here? Myth or fact??? Anyone who does believe in them have a link to where they purchased theirs? Thanks!

FACT. They can help. They do help. Do you NEED one? That's your call. But for $9.99, it seems like a 'cheap' experiment to see how big or little the effect will be on YOUR gun.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z6K10HQ/?tag=lrhmag19-20
upload_2019-4-15_20-7-52.png

I have a Ruger 77/22 with a 0.920" aluminum barrel (with steel liner from Lothar Walther). It shot only ONE brand/type of ammo well (Wolf Match Target) with 0.30" groups at 25 yards. Everything else shot into essentially a shotgun pattern (3" to 6" groups at 25 yards.) I'd never seen anything like it. When the great NoBama .22LR 'shortage' struck, I couldn't get the "preferred" ammo anymore. I had to figure something out. Enter the Limbsaver Sharpshooter X-Ring Barrel Dampener. Amazing! Now that barrel shoots EVERYTHING well. It is no longer a finicky, PIA. Well worth the $10 for the 'barrel donut'.

I guess i better invest...can it help with a pool cue too...
Of course it can! But you really should work on your pool cue runout, overall length, neck tension, weight calibration, and tune for best harmonics based on cue ball striking velocity first. We wouldn't want you slapping a $10 item on the thing and suddenly becoming Efren Reyes or Willie Mosconi. That would look bad for the rest of us.

I have a good number of rifles in numerous calibers and chamberings. Many have match grade or custom barrels (Bartlein, Rock Creek, Hart, X-Caliber, Krieger, Broughton, etc.). Most are heavy contours, Rem Varmint and up. Some are heavy sporter weight barrels. With these barrels and proper load development, I've seen little to no benefit using a barrel tuner. I've tried several, including the Limb Savers and tunable muzzle brakes.

With that being said, I've had EXCELLENT results with the BOSS system on six of my sporter weight factory barreled Winchester M70 Classics, in various chamberings, even after load development. I've helped adjust many more BOSS equipped Winchesters and Brownings. The BOSS system may be ugly, but IT WORKS! Several of my BOSS equipped rifles shoot 5 round groups right at or less than 1/2 MOA. I have also successfully further reduced group sizes, after load development, in several rifles with factory barrels, using the Limb Saver dampeners.

Do they always help? Not always. A bad or shot-out barrel is a bad barrel, and external weights, vibration dampeners or a BOSS type system is going to do little in the way of improving accuracy, to an acceptable level, in a barrel suffering these issues.

On some rifles, the barrels just don't respond well to the tuner, no matter where you place it or how much you adjust it. Tuners or vibration dampeners do not always help but, I have seen plenty of times that they did.

FACT. They can help. They do help. Do you NEED one? That's your call. But for $9.99, it seems like a 'cheap' experiment to see how big or little the effect will be on YOUR gun.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z6K10HQ/?tag=lrhmag19-20
I have a Ruger 77/22 with a 0.920" aluminum barrel (with steel liner from Lothar Walther). It shot only ONE brand/type of ammo well (Wolf Match Target) with 0.30" groups at 25 yards. Everything else shot into essentially a shotgun pattern (3" to 6" groups at 25 yards.) I'd never seen anything like it. When the great NoBama .22LR 'shortage' struck, I couldn't get the "preferred" ammo anymore. I had to figure something out. Enter the Limbsaver Sharpshooter X-Ring Barrel Dampener. Amazing! Now that barrel shoots EVERYTHING well. It is no longer a finicky, PIA. Well worth the $10 for the 'barrel donut'.

I carry two large and two small Limb Saver vibration dampeners in my range tool bag, just so guys at the range, can try them, after we've eliminated most other minor accuracy issues on their rifle.

I've found that you can get a stuck Limb Saver vibration dampener off your barrel by lightly spraying the barrel with Rem Oil, then lifting up on one side of the Limb Saver at a time, and spraying a little Rem Oil under it. This will allow the Limb Saver to slide right off the barrel.

Gotta watch which components you clean limbsaver products with as I have had light oiling over kkick pad eat up the soft pad.....limbsaver replaced them...but the materials become jellied like gooey jelly beans....not good in a gun cabinet......
Wonder if Windex or the likes would be just as good to help unstuck dampners from barrels....

Windex is the end-all, be-all, cure-all. If its good enough for removing warts, its good enough for removing Limbsavers.*

As y'all know, not all rubbers are good with petroleum products. Maybe silicone spray if Windex doesn't work?

*If you haven't seen "My big fat Greek wedding" you won't get it.

Gotta watch which components you clean limbsaver products with as I have had light oiling over kkick pad eat up the soft pad.....limbsaver replaced them...but the materials become jellied like gooey jelly beans....not good in a gun cabinet......
Wonder if Windex or the likes would be just as good to help unstuck dampners from barrels....

Yes, your experience with gun oil is exactly what I have seen on several brands of recoil pads after they've sat with the oil on them, in the gun safe for a while.

I have not seen any issue like this on the Limb Saver barrel vibration dampener while installed on my barrels, even after cleaning and oiling the rifle. But, I should have included that I always clean the Limb Saver dampener with Dawn and warm water, as soon after removal, as I can.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts