Vibration dampener

Elevation is about 800-1000ft greater than my testing range. You're 100% correct in saying conditions will be different from load testing days to when actually hunting. I do try to go out and shoot a day or two before I leave which would be the closest in temperature I can achieve. After reading everyone's reply's, I think I'll stick to doing what I've been doing without a dampener. Again, thank you all for your replies!

Those rubber doughnuts are snake-oil nonsense. The Browning BOSS system did work to change a barrel's harmonics to match a certain load but it does have limitations. That said, the best way to wring out the best from a pipe is to handload. Period. So if you're not in a position to hand-load, an adjustable machined metal comp like a BOSS would be the next best step.

very common in br where legal.
i think in 22 rf br also
again it is a tune to the conditions device, not a set and leave alone part.
prs is NOT SMALL GROUPS.

I guess I run in a different group, for all my years of BR (started in the early 80's back east), I just do not remember anyone using one. And I do not ever recall anyone winning matches or setting any records with one on at the time. As for PRS, yes I know. :) YMMV

Only seems logical(I'm not Spock) that if you reload to achieve a good result couldn't a tuner make it even better....
And to the aspect of the rifle tuned without one being more accurate than a rifle being tuned with one and the retuning being needed on a hunt day....
Hogwash....
If it is tuned with one it should still shoot as well as one being tuned without one.....final tuning to a load is final tuning to a load....the best it can shoot is the best you can expect.....
I DOUBLEDOG dare someone that has a fine tuned rifle to show us a true comparison between with and without......

Only seems logical(I'm not Spock) that if you reload to achieve a good result couldn't a tuner make it even better....
And to the aspect of the rifle tuned without one being more accurate than a rifle being tuned with one and the retuning being needed on a hunt day....
Hogwash....
If it is tuned with one it should still shoot as well as one being tuned without one.....final tuning to a load is final tuning to a load....the best it can shoot is the best you can expect.....
I DOUBLEDOG dare someone that has a fine tuned rifle to show us a true comparison between with and without......

Several years ago when Browning had their shooting contest at least the top three contestants said they took off the BOSS to work up the best load. Then they installed it to finalize for best accuracy. I did the same thing with the doughnut. Worked every time. But then I didn't have any heavy barrel rifles.

I have 3 rifles ( .223 Savage Axis, 308 Savage 16/116 & 300WM Winchester Mod 70 [1970 ish] deep throad) with Limbsavers on them. It can be a chore to tune them but all 3 shot groups were reduced by at least 50%. These rifles are factory rifles with "penile" barrels. I bought a bore scope after the three were tuned and notices a " blemish" in the rifling under the de-resonator. I tried tuning loads with no luck. I installed a 4th one on a friends rifle and 1st inspected the barrel and positioned the de-resonator over the blemish and had to move it about 1/2" to finish it off. So I my experience they do work, but they sure are ugly!

Hello all

I've been building up my hunting rifle and have been told by multiple people that adding a vibration dampener to my barrel I would increase accuracy. Just wondering what everyone's opinion is here? Myth or fact??? Anyone who does believe in them have a link to where they purchased theirs? Thanks!
They do work. Once placed for a while on the barrel they are hard to move unless you oil them well with a silicone oil between the resonator and the barrel. The advantage is the cost. I will be listing them again on Ebay for $12.00 shipped free.

I think they are more of a gimmick, and while some people do achieve decent results on the day they apply and tune them, later, the results always seemed to change. As a part of the group of shooters who constantly strove for ultimate precision and tiny groups, I cannot remember seeing anyone using them on their BR, varmint, PRS, F-class etc rifles. YMMV
Those rubber doughnuts are snake-oil nonsense. The Browning BOSS system did work to change a barrel's harmonics to match a certain load but it does have limitations. That said, the best way to wring out the best from a pipe is to handload. Period. So if you're not in a position to hand-load, an adjustable machined metal comp like a BOSS would be the next best step.

Quite common in RF BR. May not even be competitive w/o one. Hard, but not totally impossible to tune those loads to the rifle....
Search here: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=902387bb0487697dc6988b6f7b68c232&f=320 if you're open to learning more about them.

I have a Browning 300wm with the BOSS system on it, near as I could tell is that it made the bullet and powder company a lot of money. I tried a lot to find the sweet spot never really did, once I started reloading to the gun and stopped messing with the BOSS system got it to shoot ok. I think part of the problem with the Browning A-bolt is the clip is so short that I couldn't get my C.O.A.L. where it needed to be.

you are completely ignoring the fact that CONDITIONS change. elevation pressure temp humidity.
it is impractical to work up a new load in the field,
BUT
with a tuner you can tweak for the best in those conditions with that load.

Hogwash....

AR10ar15man...
I don't get what you are arguing....my statement?....
for or against...
As a boss on a rifle or a limbsaver on a rifle..they can both be retuned...and a rifle tuned without would be completely subject to all weather/altitude conditions....
And a rifle with a tuner can be set and reset amongst different shooters....if you want to waste that much time and ammo...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.