Velocity node question

bramlett9

In doing a ladder test with H4350, 178 eldx, and my 30-06, I found a node from 55.5-55.9 that produced an average velocity of 2785 and an sd of 4.5. Question is do I choose the middle charge as my load, or a charge on the low end since the ambient was higher (82) than when this rifle will be used for hunting? I'm planning on retesting at a lower temp, but it'll be several months.

+1. I've had great stability with H4350 when I used it in my 6.5x47. I ran the same load in Colorado, Mississippi, PA, and WV, summer or winter. Just put the DA into the ballistic calculator and shot.

Pick the charge in the window that groups the best.

Load up ten rounds at 55.7 gr. Shoot 5 over the chrono to see how good your ES & SD are, and the other 5 to see how it groups. If the ES and SD are good, but not getting as tight of a group that you want, play with seating depth a little to see if it snugs up. I will set 3 at 0.005" deeper and 3 at 0.005" closer to the lands to see which way I need to go. Rarely have I had to play with seating depth any more than this

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.