Velocity Effect of Bullet Tension

David tubs he seats 10 thou into the rifling and don't worry about neck tension any body tried it. David
I know another very good BR shooter who does it, calls it " soft seating" says its so he takes the seating variable and throat erosion out of the game but i certainly wouldn't try it on a hunting rifle youll have stuck bullets in the lands.

I know another very good BR shooter who does it, calls it " soft seating" says its so he takes the seating variable and throat erosion out of the game but i certainly wouldn't try it on a hunting rifle youll have stuck bullets in the lands.
Key words there, are as you've stated, hunting rifle. And theres a few other shooting sports that probably need the hunting rifle set up approach. If its benchrest, that's one thing, and one of my favorites, but probably would not hunt eith benchrest rifle, unless I was on a plantation or the sorts. And yup, stuck bullets would happen, especially if you dont get to shoot!🦌😁

The video is on YouTube he said never had one stick at 10 thou in and also with it like that he doesn't worry about neck tension because it's tensioned off the bullet and he doesn't anneal and is getting 30 firings out of his brass which is amazing don't know

The video is on YouTube he said never had one stick at 10 thou in and also with it like that he doesn't worry about neck tension because it's tensioned off the bullet and he doesn't anneal and is getting 30 firings out of his brass which is amazing don't know
That's great but none of that applies to a hunting rifle

Last edited:
Get you some, even though it will be a little short it will be fine.
Take care of the carbon ring just like you should on any cartridge and all will be fine.
Lapua brass is one of the reasons I believe my nephew's 6.5x06AI is a hammer.
I just fire formed some Sako 30.06 brass. It came out to trim length, @ 2.484. Neck tensions bad. Very soft. Pockets aren't that good either!😔

2D062B4D-3D17-4E56-BD20-ECC2CD7017A4.png
View attachment 224118
Here's my take....I think neck tension has zero impact on bullet release. I think that the powder charge is blowing the case walls out to touch the chamber before enough pressure to move the bullet has occured.

At high neck tension, I find the bullet is deformed by my seater which could hurt things.
I usually try to give folks the benefit of the doubt but in this case I'm just gonna say you might wanna do a little more studying on the subject before posting a post like this, your off the reservation by a far piece, no offense intended @7stw

2D062B4D-3D17-4E56-BD20-ECC2CD7017A4.png

Last edited:
Absolutely. It's one of things I strive for , and when I get to the seating stage, and you've done your homework, and when you get that one or two that just seem to slip right in, you know they aren't going to stay in the group. Been there, done that. I do seem to get it much less with premium brass. I'm struggling with it now in my 25.06AI. Time for some Lapua brass I guess. Take care, and thanks!
Yeah, I'm slowly switching to Lapua in everything but my 22-250 and not looking back. Good quality and excellent weight spread for sorting.

The only place I haven't tested and tuned all my cartridges yet is crimping.....when I get all loads fully tuned and dialed in this summer, I will then see what crimping can do as the final step in neck tuning for me.

I believe these discussions tend to make most reloader's a more consistent and thorough bunch :)

Yeah, I'm slowly switching to Lapua in everything but my 22-250 and not looking back. Good quality and excellent weight spread for sorting.

The only place I haven't tested and tuned all my cartridges yet is crimping.....when I get all loads fully tuned and dialed in this summer, I will then see what crimping can do as the final step in neck tuning for me.

I believe these discussions tend to make most reloader's a more consistent and thorough bunch :)
That's what it's all about. Learn a little, share a little.

Here's my take....I think neck tension has zero impact on bullet release. I think that the powder charge is blowing the case walls out to touch the chamber before enough pressure to move the bullet has occured.
I strenuously disagree with your notion of case expansion, based on observation.
Burned powder on your case neck, and in some cases, shoulder and body, speak volumes of the case expansion, and subsequently, the state of the work hardening of the brass. You can feel it when you seat your bullet.
Stiff, high tension brass won't expand readily, and I have found powder tracks farther down the case with these. Got me in the habit of annealing every other firing.
I don't have an arbor press with gauge, but I do pay attention to the force needed to seat the bullet. Those that seat too loosely, I check the tension by whether I can still move the bullet by hand. If I can, resize and try again. If still movable, toss. The ones I note are much harder to seat, I also pull, anneal, resize and reload.
Just tossing out there, being this is a hunting rifle in a LR Hunting forum, a MV ES of 50fps (.243 / 95gr / .411 G1 / 3150 / 3200fps) translates into ~2.5" bullet difference at 600 yards.

It's just one big rabbit hole lol. If your gonna use bushing dies your brass needs consistent neck wall thickness. You need a ball micrometer to check. Many of the pros even turn Lapua. If your necks are inconsistent a bushing pushes that to the inside of the neck which can cause runout. Which is why some cats will size with a bushing then open it up with a mandrel.